The Most Meticulously Crafted Albums Ever
Jan 5, 2008 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

The_Duke_Of_Eli

Headphoneus Supremus
I've noticed more and more recently with new music (for the most part with "popular music"), that artists are losing an appreciation for what an album really is. Most of this new music is just a CD full of singles, a mash-up of what may be good songs, but really has no difference whether they were to be sold individually or all together (read: online music purchasing), perhaps as a ploy to capitalize off lesser-quality tracks at retail (another discussion altogether).

Regardless of motivation, my enjoyment of an album is exponentially increased, when a depth of unity by tracks is present. This is immediately apparent when you listen to an album start to finish. It almost has to play out like a book; you have to read it all in order from start to finish to truly appreciate one. You wouldn't just read the "best" chapters of the book then put it away.

There are reasonable exceptions to this sort of crafting, as some musical genres just do not (easily) facilitate this form of crafting. This includes all "classic" music, generally from the classical or jazz pieces. However, new music has no reason not to make a music experience instead of a track full of singles. There should be a valid reason for every track on an album. Not just to fill up space or time.

There is also a vast difference between just using crossfade to your advantage in blending tracks, and to really have progression and flow. I elect the following two tracks as my favorites:

Joshua Redman - Passage of Time
Sigur Ros - Takk

I'm really curious as to what everyone else's favorites in this style are, as I'm always looking for new artists and musical experiences.

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 80
As a Kinks fanboy, I would have to say that Ray Davies has come up with some of the best concept albums in classic rock, ever. Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, The Who and others will of course be mentioned here.

But there is so much more:

Protest the Hero: Kezia - musically, the album is divided by individual tracks, but when you delve into the lyrics, you start to understand just how intricately crafted this mini-opera really is.

The Mars Volta: With Frances the Mute and Amputecture really standing out as the most cohesive musically (good luck with the lyrics), all of their albums - including their ambitious EP Tremulant - have been tied together front to back, despite wildly varying styles throughout.

There are so many others I can't think of at the moment, but I'm with you fella - the rewards and satisfaction derived from a proper album, where the sum is greater than the parts, tends to draw much more emotion from me than any single could. These also tend to be the albums that don't wear out their welcome.

[EDIT] Forgot to mention - for some reason "Ba Da Ti Ki Di Do" by Sigur Ros seems to be overlooked constantly, perhaps because it's an EP? It stands out as my favourite overall album by the band.

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 80
Radiohead - OK Computer (or Kid A, your choice)
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory
Boys Night Out - Trainwreck
Björk - Homogenic
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind

All of those albums have very good production for their respective genres, and many of them have a running theme or mood between songs. These are just a few of many.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 80
I too hold the album -played as a single work- in high esteem.

But are we just 'old-skool' brought up with album-rock and thus not as fond of single tracks as those brought up in the digital audio age, or is the art being lost?

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But are we just 'old-skool' brought up with album-rock and thus not as fond of single tracks as those brought up in the digital audio age, or is the art being lost?

I'm not too sure that it's really being lost... there will always be real music lovers out there who invest time into music as a hobby, not necessarily just we audio weirdos. And of course, the music lovers who make the music, who will create art, not a simple commodity.

Think of it this way: before the concept of the album gained steam, the single was king. by the late 80s, the single was officially (and quite thoroughly) dead. Albums, whether full-fledged concepts or simply collections of individual songs had been the norm for so long, the single just wasn't desirable anymore. I think we're simply seeing the rebirth of the single thanks to new ways of delivering them cheaply and easily.

I don't think the album is dead, nor do I think its dying. There's a lot of focus on the commodity aspect of music right now, thanks to the hot topics of P2P and legitimate electronic distribution, but I certainly can't say I've seen a lull in new "complete albums" being released, personally. The best music is almost always out of the spotlight, just waiting to be discovered by those of us willing to look... and it isn't necessarily harder to find, either, since the same channels that are bringing the single back to the forefront are also available to the rest.

And incidentally, much as I hold the album as king, I'll never turn away a great single, even if the rest of their music sucks... I'll just buy the single instead of shelling out for an entire album I'd never listen to.

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 80
Of course, concept albums follow a theme and storyline and so each song is integral. Outside the category of concept albums, I think a few Portuguese Irish, and British folk musicians take their albums very seriously. Some exemplary examples:
  1. O Primeiro Canto -- Dulce Pontes
  2. O Paradiso -- Madredeus
  3. Sensus -- Cristina Branco
  4. The three albums by Niamh Parsons under Green Linnet: Blackbird and Thrushes; In my Prime; The Old Simplicity
  5. Against the Stream and Angel Tiger by June Tabor

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 80
I'm an album kind of guy. I think we will see a new age of album-oriented music in the not-to-distant future. The late 50's and early 60's were dominated by pop singles then the tide turned in the seventies. Maybe in the "10's" we'll see a similar change.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 80
I'm pretty sure the most meticulously crafted album title would have to go to Tool's Lateralus.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 80
What Rick Rubin did to put together that album for Johnny Cash: American IV: The Man Comes Around. Pure Meticulousness.

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 80
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this post. I get the general idea. But the "tracks" you mention (Joshua Redman and Sigur Ros) are albums, right? Albums made up of tracks.

Also, I think there are a lot of jazz albums that seem to follow a thematic or musical arc and which are enhanced by listening from start to finish. Porgy and Bess, Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way. And then there are lots of classical pieces that seem to require listening from start to finish.

This makes me think that by "this sort of crafting" you are referring to albums that have one or two singles and a bunch of filler. And that "classic" music in album form IS more "holistic." But I'm not sure.

Anyway, I like the idea of this thread and I just want to understand it correctly. Maybe it's because I am drunk, but I am having a hard time understanding your writing. I think it's the booze.

As far as "Meticulously Crafted Albums" go, (ignoring jazz and classical music) I elect:

Disintegration by The Cure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed more and more recently with new music (for the most part with "popular music"), that artists are losing an appreciation for what an album really is. Most of this new music is just a CD full of singles, a mash-up of what may be good songs, but really has no difference whether they were to be sold individually or all together (read: online music purchasing), perhaps as a ploy to capitalize off lesser-quality tracks at retail (another discussion altogether).

Regardless of motivation, my enjoyment of an album is exponentially increased, when a depth of unity by tracks is present. This is immediately apparent when you listen to an album start to finish. It almost has to play out like a book; you have to read it all in order from start to finish to truly appreciate one. You wouldn't just read the "best" chapters of the book then put it away.

There are reasonable exceptions to this sort of crafting, as some musical genres just do not (easily) facilitate this form of crafting. This includes all "classic" music, generally from the classical or jazz pieces. However, new music has no reason not to make a music experience instead of a track full of singles. There should be a valid reason for every track on an album. Not just to fill up space or time.

There is also a vast difference between just using crossfade to your advantage in blending tracks, and to really have progression and flow. I elect the following two tracks as my favorites:

Joshua Redman - Passage of Time
Sigur Ros - Takk

I'm really curious as to what everyone else's favorites in this style are, as I'm always looking for new artists and musical experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back