The Most Meticulously Crafted Albums Ever
Feb 2, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #76 of 80
As far as the album flowing and sharing a cohesive theme, I would pick the following:
Portishead- Dummy (The pinnacle of trip-hop IMO)
Fila Brazilia- Another Late Night
Kruder & Dorfmeister- K&D Sessions
Sigur Ros- ()
Paul Van Dyk- The Politics of Dancing

As far as meticulously crafted regarding attention to detail, these come to mind:
DJ Spooky- Dubtometry
DJ Shadow- The Private Press
Massive Attack- 100th Window
BT- This Binary Universe
Broadway Project- Compassion

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #77 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed more and more recently with new music (for the most part with "popular music"), that artists are losing an appreciation for what an album really is. Most of this new music is just a CD full of singles, a mash-up of what may be good songs, but really has no difference whether they were to be sold individually or all together (read: online music purchasing), perhaps as a ploy to capitalize off lesser-quality tracks at retail (another discussion altogether).

Regardless of motivation, my enjoyment of an album is exponentially increased, when a depth of unity by tracks is present. This is immediately apparent when you listen to an album start to finish. It almost has to play out like a book; you have to read it all in order from start to finish to truly appreciate one. You wouldn't just read the "best" chapters of the book then put it away.

There are reasonable exceptions to this sort of crafting, as some musical genres just do not (easily) facilitate this form of crafting. This includes all "classic" music, generally from the classical or jazz pieces. However, new music has no reason not to make a music experience instead of a track full of singles. There should be a valid reason for every track on an album. Not just to fill up space or time.

There is also a vast difference between just using crossfade to your advantage in blending tracks, and to really have progression and flow. I elect the following two tracks as my favorites:

Joshua Redman - Passage of Time
Sigur Ros - Takk

I'm really curious as to what everyone else's favorites in this style are, as I'm always looking for new artists and musical experiences.

i'm gonna skip the entire thread and just comment on the first post...

yes, but you can't always critize an artist for not having albums that really coherent- a lot of bob dylan, led zeppelin, bjork albums aren't suposed to be 50minute sonic productions but rather just 10 great singles.

Favorite albums to listen all the way through (usualy with good cans and in the dark):

Kid A
Sigur Ros - Takk
deeroof albums
the knife albums

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #79 of 80
Brothers, The Black Keys

Dan Auerbach uses vintage equipment: Harmony H78 guitar that we see most often, a Harmony Stratotone, a Thunderbird 64, a white Supro Coronado, a black National. It plugs into two amplifiers; a Marshall and a Fender. He also uses a Big Muff fuzz pedal from Electro Harmonix or Sovtek. The keyboards are also vintage: Rhode, Farfisa organ.

The band is a supporter of analog recording over digital.

Jan 22, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #80 of 80
A lot of the Ambrosia albums are coherent and feel like albums instead of singles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back