The more I listen the less bass I need!?
Apr 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #31 of 41
official bass-bash thread. If you dont like a lot of bass, then avoid cans that have them. If you like it, then shop away.
Can't we just get along?
popcorn.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
official bass-bash thread. If you dont like a lot of bass, then avoid cans that have them. If you like it, then shop away.
Can't we just get along?
popcorn.gif

I don't think it's a bass-bashing thread. At least that wasn't my point and isn't the point of many participants in the thread.
I think none of us would stand for much time phones with no response under 80Hz, no matter how delightfully they made the midrange and treble. Maybe they'd be great for some music styles, but I wonder how many of us would listen to a church organ, electronic music, or big orchestral works with such thing for a lifetime.

My point, and others', is that you learn to evaluate bass more accurately with some time listening to a wide range of music. Then there's usually a point when you stop looking for a lot of bass (even if it's very correct and well done, which isn't very common) and you look for other features in the midrange and treble, up to the extent of being ready to sacrifice some bass quantity for having those other virtues.
Nothing to do with elitism, having "better" taste than others or supporting the idea that bassheads are wrong. Bass has its role in music and having it well done and in the right amount (for one's taste and needs) is as desirable as anything else.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Can't we just get along?
popcorn.gif

We all have opinions, all of which are correct. If you are not liking what you are reading in this thread, move to another one. No one hear is bashing bass, as it is needed for all genres of music. It is not needed in amounts that drown out the totality of the music that one enjoys. I believe that this is the tone of the thread, not that this is a bass hater thread.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #34 of 41
I think this process of going from bloat bass headphones to proper bass headphones is something we all have experienced. My first headphones were the consumer Sony's which usually have extended, improved or whatever bass all over the packaging. JVC cheapos same thing, panasonic and so on. Even one of my favorite Denon AD-D550 had a ton of bass. Then I heard the AD900 and realized, yes this is better bass, I loved the detail. HD650 improved upon them, but I still love the lively sound of AD900.

I don't think this is a bass bashing thread at all. In fact like myself, I'm sure other posters love bass, we just like to hear it as it should be heard, not extended or emphasized so that is overshadows the mids/trebles and other goodies.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think this is a bass bashing thread at all. In fact like myself, I'm sure other posters love bass, we just like to hear it as it should be heard, not extended or emphasized so that is overshadows the mids/trebles and other goodies.

Subjective. People like bass in many different flavours. I belong to the group you describe, but cant help feel this thread is moving towards targeting those who like large amounts of bass.
Personally I find some genres benefit from "bloaty" bass. A large amount of people here listen to classical music, which does not benefit from it if you ask me.
In any case so long as people are thinking about what they say to those who might be sensitive on the subject. It has nothing to do with ears maturing or the mind maturing, simply tastes changing. There is nothing more to it.
Any one of us could find ourselves loving excessive amounts of bass at any time which could subjectively be considered a maturing of the ears.
popcorn.gif

*thinking about it just now, there is a lot of "one note bass is boring" that is brought up when talking about particularly bassy phones. Surely that is a fault of the music for having boring bass than the phone itself? Swings and roundabouts.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #36 of 41
Which genres do you mean having benefit from "bloaty" bass?

I personally find that sort of bass kill a taste of music. Ever and still own Sennheiser HD212pro - aka fart-like bassy can, I loved it at very beginning of this journey. When I got HD650, I found HD212pro was totally sucks. Bass is way too bloated and uncontrolled. HD650's bass quatity is a bit larger than HD212pro's but it is presented in very good way - tight and deep. I listen to many different kind of genres - classical, rock, pop, r&b, jazz, and etc.

and never found that bloat bass can benefit for any genres. However, Big tight bass from HD650 or even the bass monster like L3000 can do very well with many types of songs including classical.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #37 of 41
Goa and electropop takes well to "bloaty" bass in my opinion. So do typically bass-light genres like chiptunes (though some are mastered with this in mind and will sound bad). I also see that a large number of people who like large amounts of bass listen to hiphop.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Goa and electropop takes well to "bloaty" bass in my opinion. So do typically bass-light genres like chiptunes (though some are mastered with this in mind and will sound bad). I also see that a large number of people who like large amounts of bass listen to hiphop.

Tbh, having headphones/earphones that are bass-light (Head-Direct RE2, AD700) to bass rocking (Denon C551's, Denon C700, s-Jays) and everywhere in between (DT880) makes your attention to bass more broad
tongue.gif

That said, I appreciate awesome bass and awesome highs as well.

Proper bass =
redface.gif

Impressed with C551's bass, then listened to better bass in the DT880's, then that quality bass + the quantity (s-jays) = oh yes, some eargasm moments.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tranhieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after few months listening, i appreciate hd 580's bass more than before
biggrin.gif

I just received some HD580's yesterday. I'm really enjoying them and I agree that the bass is very nice. They really sound fantastic with my Little Dot.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #40 of 41
i am with you man. i switched from logitech x-530, 5.1, to av20s and was like OMG WHERE IS THE BAAAASSS? where is the thumping in my chest? but i actually appriciate more subtle approach to the low frequency now. the obsession with heavy bass was partially a biproduct of the pop mentality of clubing, though i never enjoyed their sound systems. long story short, i enjoy listening for it now, following it, instead of just getting hit by it. i think i am getting old. lol kidding

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #41 of 41
I've played bass in several large orchestras and do appreciate a presence of the low end. But when performing, I listen to the low end for other reasons then when I just sit down to relax. You have to pay attention to tuning and listen to the sections around you. On stage (at least in the bass/cello section), the low end is far more predominate than any other section. However, when listening to a large orchestra from a seat, you hear everything balanced and equally present. My main can is a hd280, which have some of the most anemic bass of anything I have listened to. But it's there. I even use them as monitors when I play my electric upright late at night. I do remember when I first purchased them, I couldn't wait to eq then bass up. But after a few thousand hours of playing time, I find that I listen at lower volumes and with no eq.
Whenever I get a chance to listen to my dad's Wilson's, I notice that the bass doesn't pop out and attack you, you have to find it. But once you lock on to it, the deep extension and impact grow on you. It is a very great experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back