The more I listen the less bass I need!?
Apr 10, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is one of the many reasons why the AD700 is my favorite pair of phones. I like music, not bass. Music, not treble. Music, not mids. Music.

Oh, oh, oh, how true. You hit my nail with your head... hope that sound right!
Kevin

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 41
It happened to me a long time ago. When you hear audio done right, you realize the mainstream brands do things to make you think you are getting quality sound. Bass does not equal good sound in my book. Neutral sound is good in my book.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somehow most of us walk that same path. At first, as Duggeh said, we are easily impressionable, so systems producing "huge sound" which is sounding very loud without (much) distortion, having bodyful, impactive bass, and "revealing" treble, is what grabs your attention and makes you believe you're in front of good sound.
However, depending on the music you listen to, the experience you get from listening other systems and live music, and how you learn to focus your attention to other sound features, you realize that "huge sound" isn't what's really needed to enjoy and "understand" the music, or not all of it whatsoever.
This may take weeks, months or years. Some people can live happy ever after with just huge sound. Nothing wrong with that, after all our systems should sound as we need to have fun with our music.
In fact that's one of the reasons I'm so fond of headphones. On a speakers system it's not very practical to be swapping speakers to get the features you need to have fun listening to AC/DC, and then going to the more delicacy and tonal rightness needed to have string quartets made believable. With phones it's just as easy as taking a pair off your head and plugging another pair. Maybe when some perfect headphone-amp system is produced we can have just one pair
wink.gif

I think you nailed it. As Jan Meier said, Hifi lacks the wow factor when it comes to the average person.

Op: Too much bass can kill an otherwise good sounding headphone. I'm after the more balanced sound too.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 41
i have been through the same way myself.. in the beginning i was
(at least considered myself) a basshead. until i relized that too much bass in music genres that are not electronics is too muffled for me. i was looking for apropriate cans for rock/metal music....and discovered the rs-1, thanks for many head fiers.
anyway.. i still love deep and heavy bass on electronic music(got the heavenly denon ah-d5000 for this!)...anybody dont..!?

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 41
I think this is a common experience, both in terms of short term listening and over extended periods of time. Sometimes, I'm just looking for a moving experience, something quick - maybe a single song, and I want to feel the impact, the full weight (or perhaps more than the full weight) of the percussion in the song. But very quickly, maybe after a single song, I either turn the volume down, or switch to more neutral headphones, or switch the equalization or whatever (depending on the rig) because I find unnatural amounts of bass get fatiguing quickly, or obscure detail. Still, I never grow tired of quick, impactful bass in the right proportions to all other parts of the audio spectrum.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #22 of 41
This is much more a case of your tastes changing, or you realising that what you thought was your taste originally changing than bass being bad for sound like some posts are seeming to suggest. Bass is an integral part of the music, and how much you want is up to you. Someone is no less audiophile for wanting large amounts of bass than someone is for wanting neutral sound.

If we were to take classical music, for example, we would find that a lot of resolution occurs in the bass and the bass is largely responsible for conveying the tonality of the piece. Bass is far from 'unimportant'.

At least, as I see it, try not to understand this as a "refining" of your taste because that can lead to elitism - something that has for a time has plagued the "high" end of any business be it headphones or pans. Other people enjoy sound nor music any less than the "audiophile": the audiophile is a man/woman who actively seeks to improve the quality (which is subjective) of the sound they are listening to. We are no better than other people. It's a wonderful thing to share our passion, but considering others wrong is not the path I want to go down. One man's tin is another man's gold.

Just something to keep in mind.
Enjoy your new found preference.

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #23 of 41
"I never was a "bass head," but I do like having a solid presence in the bottom octaves-- when it's present in the orginal recording, at least. Because of that, about a month after I got the MMGs I bought an REL subwoofer to go along with them. It's interesting the way the knob positions on the subwoofer have evolved in the last three months or so."

Hypoicon I miss my Maggies dearly. I actually have an Altec 9440A hidden away for when I finally get another pair.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #24 of 41
I had an unhealthy need for bass before head-fi. a pair of super.fi 3 and K601 later, mids are my primary concern. I actually find my A700's to have too much bass for my liking and the K81dj are just swimming in bass...both are still good headphones though.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The use of the DT 770 pro would probably explain it...I think your ears are just simply getting tired of hearing pounding bass. I had a similar experience. Wow factor on bass always diminishes if you judge sound by bass quantity in SQ IMO....

My 770's I use when I travel with an Ipod touch..unamped..and to be honest with jazz I really like them. When home I listen to the Sextetts and the 150's almost exclusively.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 770's I use when I travel with an Ipod touch..unamped..and to be honest with jazz I really like them. When home I listen to the Sextetts and the 150's almost exclusively.

Try RS-1 with Jazz...
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not confidently certain of what you mean in your post. There are two contextual readings. One is that you are more sensitive to bass and so want less of it than you once did. The other is that you have come to a greater recognition of the nature of the character of low frequency sound. I respond to both possibilities respectively.

Wham bam bass is one of those things that garners the most attention in any short term listening, that and any inflated sense of space or soundstaging. It takes more time to come to terms with the further nuances of sound. The longer the better ideally. Your ears have abviously gradually been coming to finding more and more particularly the sort of sound that you want out of your rig, which may well be leaner, or less bassy than where you started from. (Lets be honesnt, most people coming here for the first {or only} time are after a cheap awesome headphone with the stipulation of mega bass of some kind). 6 months is I would expect, enough time for such a change in attitude, and one cannot help but see you do have the sterotypical basshead headphone, the DT770. A headphone of which I am not myself very fond and which in the Headphile modded form I find downright awful.

As for the increased recognition, the ear and the minds ear, as with many things, can be trained and improved through the application of practice and the aquisition of dexterity. If you're reading more into the low frequency parts of music than just beat-boom-beat-boom and feeling the multitudinous textures and resonanaces that there are to be found there then this is only to your benefit as you are coming to a greater appriciation of some of the nuances of music which are an important mosaic of aspects in the grand picture. Once you get to a certain point though, you will have to make a deliberate effort to hear further difference. Once you move into these areas of deliberate effort though, the gains made by them are more easily maintained than their initial aquisition.

You know, that is pretty much exactly what I was going to say, but you said it first, and far more eloquently than I ever could.
frown.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, that is pretty much exactly what I was going to say, but you said it first, and far more eloquently than I ever could.
frown.gif

From what I have read of your posts you seem to be a wonderful source of experience....I am truly sorry I will not be able to pick you brain..but I wish the very best.

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #30 of 41
I enjoy bass in the right context. I enjoy tuneful, textured bass extending as low as possible. I do not enjoy exaggerated one-note thumping mid-bass with little to no low bass like in the DT770/80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back