The Monster.... Turbine... thinggy
Mar 21, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #361 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! i just placed my order on Amazon (my favorite place) because of your explanation
icon10.gif
L3000.gif

Good to hear, I hope you enjoy the Turbines. Post your comments when you receive them, especially with and without the Comply tips.

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #363 of 386
I recevied my Turbines today, did not care much for the included tips, had problems getting a good seal, so I have Complys on order and am currently using foamies that come with Marshmallows. Initial thoughts about sound after 30min with my Sansa Clip is that I could tell the improved bass, mids and highs compared to the Marshmallows (FX-54) but it sounded underpowered or maybe timid is the word I'm looking for, so I might invest in amp depending on further results from a longer burn in period.

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #366 of 386
i think the only reason that this thread is not as long as say, ne7m is that they are priced in line with the quality materials they use and more toward their market. if it was not monster who made these, this thread would have 100 pages by now at least.

the sound of the monster is worth the price and is worth a real thread that is not timid ie 'thinggy'

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #367 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by tazzmissionx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any ideas on a possible portable amp to pair with the Turbines? I'm thinking Fiio E3.

I'd recommend the E5 rather than the E3. The bass enhancement can't be switched off on the E3. While one the best points about the Turbines are their bass and the additional bass provided by the Fiio amps might be nice for hip hop and other bassy music, you might find it a bit much on songs that don't rely as much on the low end. Plus, the E5 is less hissy, has better shielding, comes with a clip and has an on/off switch. The E3 adds a teensy weensy more bass than the E5 but not by much and the E5 provides better sound overall. Bear in mind that you get what you pay for though. The Fiio amps are nice and cheap, but don't expect a day and night difference.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #369 of 386
Quote:

I recevied my Turbines today, did not care much for the included tips, had problems getting a good seal, so I have Complys on order and am currently using foamies that come with Marshmallows. Initial thoughts about sound after 30min with my Sansa Clip is that I could tell the improved bass, mids and highs compared to the Marshmallows (FX-54) but it sounded underpowered or maybe timid is the word I'm looking for, so I might invest in amp depending on further results from a longer burn in period.

I had some early problems with tips too, but finally found the smallest single flange tips worked best if I really scrunched them into my ear canals. Very good fit and sound. I think the Complys really muffle the Turbines. But you may hear it differently. I also found Sony's new hybrid silicone sleeves to be a very good match with the Turbines. They have them on Amazon for $8.98 for a four-pack. The stalks are made of a sturdier material than typical silicone single flange sleeves.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #370 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend the E5 rather than the E3. The bass enhancement can't be switched off on the E3. While one the best points about the Turbines are their bass and the additional bass provided by the Fiio amps might be nice for hip hop and other bassy music, you might find it a bit much on songs that don't rely as much on the low end. Plus, the E5 is less hissy, has better shielding, comes with a clip and has an on/off switch. The E3 adds a teensy weensy more bass than the E5 but not by much and the E5 provides better sound overall. Bear in mind that you get what you pay for though. The Fiio amps are nice and cheap, but don't expect a day and night difference.

The bass output isn't really an issue, I hear it just fine, it's just seems that using these with my Sansa Clip seems to be a bit underpowered.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #371 of 386
I must not be a bass head, because I found the turbines to be muddy and veiled overall.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #372 of 386
Burned in? I let mine sit for 40 hours without listening, after the initial listen, and that seemed to straighten them right out in terms of the sounds you are describing. Dynamic phones need burn-in, but you probably know that since you have the Senn IE7s.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #373 of 386
Hi all,

I purchased a pair of the turbines based on the favorable impressions that I garnered from the reviews here.

My initial reaction is favorable, but, like some have mentioned, the very low-end bass floor sounds a bit muddy and can overpower the mid-range.

If anyone has access to Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror", 3:06min to 3:16min has a breakout where the bass is playing some riffs down low with octave jumps under drums and chorus. In this section I get an non-linear exaggeration of the bass pedal note and not very much from the octave. The bass rift on the low end is undefined. This section sounds clean on my Energy bookshelf speakers, which may be an unfair comparison.

That being said, I got these for $100 at ClubMac - The Online Mac Catalog through:

http://search.live.com/cashback/prod.../4023/19355017

and got $3 cash back to boot.

They were shipped same day and the product seems legitimate (the packaging matches the pictures in the thread).

Overall, I'm pleased, but I'm hoping the de-emphasis on mid-range and bass muddiness improve over use.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #374 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by neutraloss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall, I'm pleased, but I'm hoping the de-emphasis on mid-range and bass muddiness improve over use.

As stated in the post before yours, they NEED to burn in. They will improve substantially. Also try some Sony silicone tips. For me they made a HUGE difference.

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #375 of 386
Quote:

The bass output isn't really an issue, I hear it just fine, it's just seems that using these with my Sansa Clip seems to be a bit underpowered.

If your main issue is that they're not loud enough then, yes, either the E3 or the E5 would make them louder. I would still recommend the E5 over the E3 though, especially for portable use. The lack of an on/off switch on the E3 is quite annoying as you have to unplug your earphones everytime you want to turn the E3 off. If that and the always-on bass enhancement aren't an issue for you, then by all means, go for the E3. I just think that for about $10 more, you might as well go for the E5 as they fixed a lot of the issues that people had with the E3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back