The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Oct 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #3,886 of 4,317
triple flange might go too deep in my ear canal, that would REALLY bug me :D

thanks for the recommendations :) tbh I thought all of the monoprice 8320 variants had the same eartips included. teaches me to read things more thoroughly next time..

it sucks. I really like the sound of these IEMs and they are streets ahead from my other earbuds, but the vacuum created makes my head hurt :frowning2:

from these, which do you think would be the most comfortable?

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #3,887 of 4,317
I honestly have no idea because ever since I got my 9963 IEMs in order to reduce the microphonics of the 9927 I've been pretty satisfied with the stock tips.  The 9927 stock tips however weren't all that comfortable for me.

Also protip: dirty tips can make your ears itch and "burn", so if you feel that, consider washing them.

Oh, and you may want to consider doing the "fin shaving" mod.  It actually can help with the comfort quite a bit even without changing the tips:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-new-mp9927-pg-208-mp8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club/930#post_7960767

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-new-mp9927-pg-208-mp8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club/1035#post_7973787

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #3,888 of 4,317
Just got my 8320.  Was going to replace the stock tips with my spare Klipsch double flange tips until I realized how large the nozzle on this thing is.  Fortunately the large stock tips fits my ears rather snugly, though it doesn't go very deep.  Would a double flange tip that goes deeper into the ear improve the sound?

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #3,889 of 4,317
*more sighs*

Why does nobody want to buy the white 9963 IEMs...?  Don't you guys want reduced micro-phonics too? :frowning2:  And that's without mentioning the possibly more comfortable stock tips...

I'm seriously considering creating a separate thread purely for the 9963s because right now it would seem that nobody even realizes that they exist.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3,890 of 4,317
*more sighs*

Why does nobody want to buy the white 9963 IEMs...?  Don't you guys want reduced micro-phonics too? :frowning2:  And that's without mentioning the possibly more comfortable stock tips...

I'm seriously considering creating a separate thread purely for the 9963s because right now it would seem that nobody even realizes that they exist.

I chose to recable my 9927s and never use the stock tips anyway. The end result is fantastic.
However, I'm down to order a pair just for comparison sake.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #3,891 of 4,317
In my experience the stock tips on the white 9963 IEMs are softer than the 9927's tips.  Regarding a comparison, I already did one a couple pages ago and found the white 9963 IEMs to be better or equal to the black 9927 IEMs in every way - that's why I am so disappointed at everyone still buying the 9927s...

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #3,892 of 4,317
Given the size of this thread, it shouldn't be surprising that people didn't see your post about the white ones being better.  I know I didn't see it when I ordered my pair.

Comparing this to my old Skullcandy INK'd, the bass is quite recessed on the MP and it sounds less full and fun than the INK'd, though it has good separation of sounds.  Does burning in improve the bass?  I need to compare these to the Reference S4 which I left in my car.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3,893 of 4,317
Burning in actually reduced the bass - without burn-in the IEMs have somewhat of a V-shaped frequency response but after burning in it's actually very neutral, which my OCD prefers.

If you want more bass then there are three things you can do:

One is get a better seal - without a geed enough seal your bass will be flat and lacking. This is one of the biggest benefits I found from the 9963 tips since them seemingly being softer allowed me to use a larger tip-size.

Two is to do the "tape trick".  Next to the nozzle you should see a tiny hole; if you cover that hole with tape or whatever, you will get more bass.  You can customize the amount of bass-boost by the amount you cover the hole, for example you can only partially cover the hole if you'd like.

Three is to use an equalizer.  As you surely can see, the drivers in these IEMs are quite relatively huge, so they can definitely handle some bass-boost via EQ.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #3,894 of 4,317
I found just the opposite.

Getting a good seal provided the greatest improvement in bass response.

Burnin helped to settle the peaks. I noticed a small increase in the quantity of bass.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #3,895 of 4,317
I found just the opposite.

Getting a good seal provided the greatest improvement in bass response.

How is that an opposite?

Quote:
Burnin helped to settle the peaks. I noticed a small increase in the quantity of bass.

Perhaps you're noticing an increase from the decrease in the highs?  I found that the bass takes considerably more burn in to settle down.

Remember, my 9927s were already quite burned in when I got my 9963s, so I had a direct comparison between burned-in and non burned-in.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #3,897 of 4,317
Perhaps you're noticing an increase from the decrease in the highs?  I found that the bass takes considerably more burn in to settle down.

Remember, my 9927s were already quite burned in when I got my 9963s, so I had a direct comparison between burned-in and non burned-in.

The opposite was about the burnin. The mellowed peaks didn't reduce the highs preaence and imo wasn't significant enough to alter bass quantity.

I have two pairs of 9927s. I also did a direct comparison between 100 hour Burnin and new.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,898 of 4,317
Well considering that back in the the first 80-some pages of this thread people were saying that the burn-in "tames" the highs and lows, perhaps it's not a case of stronger bass but "cleaner" bass?  Maybe the bass is coming across as more muddy when not burned in, and therefore having cleaner bass could possibly be perceived as louder without actually being stronger.

For reference my bass analysis was more regarding the actual feeling and intensity of the bass on my ear drums.  As a non-bass head, without burn-in the bass was actually kind of annoying at times and even would even feel uncomfortable on my ear drums even though my volume wasn't any different compared to my 9927s.

An alternate theory is that the low bass becomes tamed with burn in but the mid and high bass stays more of the same level, and therefore the mid and high bass becomes more noticeable and not "washed out" by the low bass.  I say this because it has been previously stated that these IEMs are a bit weaker in the mid-bass.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #3,899 of 4,317
  Burning in actually reduced the bass - without burn-in the IEMs have somewhat of a V-shaped frequency response but after burning in it's actually very neutral, which my OCD prefers.

If you want more bass then there are three things you can do:

One is get a better seal - without a geed enough seal your bass will be flat and lacking. This is one of the biggest benefits I found from the 9963 tips since them seemingly being softer allowed me to use a larger tip-size.

Two is to do the "tape trick".  Next to the nozzle you should see a tiny hole; if you cover that hole with tape or whatever, you will get more bass.  You can customize the amount of bass-boost by the amount you cover the hole, for example you can only partially cover the hole if you'd like.

Three is to use an equalizer.  As you surely can see, the drivers in these IEMs are quite relatively huge, so they can definitely handle some bass-boost via EQ.

instead of partially covering it

many people including i: use a sewing needle to poke a hole on the tape covering the port i felt this prevents the mid-bass from being overly punchy

i now don't even use the tape mod
imo it makes it too muddy, killing any sub-bass extension.

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,900 of 4,317
I chose to recable my 9927s and never use the stock tips anyway. The end result is fantastic.
However, I'm down to order a pair just for comparison sake.

I completely forgot to mention, because I don't even own any after-market tips I cannot compare the stock 9963 tips to anything like the Sony Hybrids or Comply T400s.  If you still want to do a 9963 comparison then the tips comparison is all yours.

Again, remember that the 9963 has different stock tips than the 9927.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back