The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Oct 7, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #3,856 of 4,317
Good news everyone, I have officially ordered the Monoprice 9963 IEMs, and I of course already own the 9927 IEMs, so we can finally get a direct comparison!

UPDATE: Read my review here (tl;dr - the white 9963 IEMs are better or equal to the black 9927 IEMs in every way):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-new-mp9927-pg-208-mp8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club/3855#post_9879825

Random question: anyone know if an RG-62B/U 93ohm coaxial cable (originally used for ARCnet) would work for coaxial digital audio?

For anyone wondering, that monoprice order for an optical cable ended up including 4 other things - 2 hdmi cables (one red, one blue), a coaxial cable, and an HDMI swivel plug. All of this is because my father's using his frequent flier miles to get a blu-ray player and new receiver to replace his 38-year old receiver. We also just in mid-August bought a $300 39" Toshiba LCD which looked good on DisplayLag.com for gaming, and funilly enough was recommended by DisplayLag.com for just that purpose only a week after we already bought it.

And for the curious, regarding the issue I mentioned before about the receiver not having a phono input - his turntable has a USB output, so we can just plug that into the currently-WIP HTPC and plug the HTPC's HDMI output directly into the new receiver. I tested the HDMI out with the TV and the turntable's USB worked flawlessly as long as sleep mode isn't used. All you got to is turn on the computer and that's it - the audio from the turntable will automatically play through the HTPC and out through the HDMI.

Needless to say, with all of that (even the turntable) we've finally entered the 21st century in terms of home theater! ...well, except that out 28-year old 80w-each stereo speakers are still going strong.

EDIT: Is it just me or was the text editor updated? The quick reply doesn't seem to have change, but everything else seems to have - specifically the edit post editor and the full page editor. It now uses the exact same text editor that Overclock.net uses.

One thing is I noticed right away is that it's a lot less demanding on my CPU; before I'd even sometimes get a noticeable amount of lag with my 2.5GHz Athlon 64 x2 4800+ (65nm, C2) - not a new CPU, but I've never had such an issue anywhere else. Now the webpage seems to be perfectly smooth even with my CPU underclocked and undervolted at 1GHz 0.775v! (Firefox's GPU acceleration does help a ton with the webpage smoothness though)

And holy crap the seemingly-updated text editor works with BBcode! Everybody Wang Chung tonight! (FYI I was using an original 1986 vinyl of that song to test my father's turntable's USB output, so the song is kinda stuck in my head)

EDIT 2: I just realized; seeing how this is the same text editor that OCN uses, that means custom spoiler tags are now supported!

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #3,857 of 4,317
My English isnt that good, but I cut an infuse therapy cable and put it around the wire, it both helps for the microphonics (theyre gone now) and they will save the earphones for some longer time, because I do not trust the quality of the cable...

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #3,858 of 4,317

if what you mean is just covering the top of the nozzle with the cloth, yes thats what i did, its just 1 layer of cloth over the nozzle.

i did notice it smoothed out the reasonance, bumped the mid bass up a bit (id rather bump the subbass but i digress) the treble does suffer sadly,( the treble was pretty low on sparkle to begin with

but yes it did get rid of that nasty mid-treble peak--> on that note very pleasing to listen to

The rin choi full mod opens the highs up a bit and sounds a bit more detailed as well.  But you have to cut off the nozzles and then use plastic tubing or something similar.
3/16" width on the bore.  I actually found some office pens from company called universal that have a really nice top cap that works extremely well and actually looks good.
It's hard black platic but easy to cut with a single edge razor.  You manually bore them to 3/16" with a drill bit.  But you have to pre do them so the bit doesnt rip them apart.
I take a good small pair of scissors to punch a hole in the top and then twist it repeatedly down the shaft this allows me to do a final bore with the drill bit so that it works farily easily using two pairs of pliers on to hold the bit and one to grip the pen cap tip.  You cut the nozzle and use a 1/4" dremel burr to open the hole and cut the flashing with an exacto or single razor.  You seat the noozle you have bored out and cut down to about 5/16".  You can also care burr the top of the tip so you have a seat for the filters.  Use a little crazy glue to seat the noozle. It will stick just enough to keep the tips in place allowing you to position them correctly.  Then you exert a reasonably forcefull push to hold the seating.  Now drip a good fast set epoxy just above and below the joint.  In 30 minutes you can actually try them...but give them a few hours to completely harden.  Doping the drivers with crazy glue...three drops for complete coverage when you have the hole burred out and completely open.  You need a reasonably stead hand aim for the middle of the hole you cut out.  If your a bit to high you will saturate the tape that regulates the port size...if you do this you will have to punch the whole with a pin after it dries.  It will still work it just more fiddly.  You should also put a piece of tape over the port after doing this.  Then punch the smallest hole possible in the tape.  Electrical tape is good and it's black.  This is challenging so as not to punch a pin hole in the driver.  So just drip the glue carefully.  I think the difference it makes is worth it but it's not that big a difference...just stiffens the driver a bit.  But I think it does add a bit more to the highs as well as some detail and focus...

The full  mod will easily holds it's own or beat my re 400's... It may not have quite as much extension but it's close.  But it clobbers in a couple of areas.  It may not be quite as refined a sound as a 400 but it is more neutral with more bottom end extension and a much larger sense of stage and dynamics. It's good enough in the high  frequencies that I don't really feel any particular sense of  them missing at all.  But then being older I'm not sure I hear beyond 13 or 14k anyway.  These definetly extend a bit past that.   I have destroyed 4 pair figuring out the process.  My last pair was working pretty well even though i saturated the port tape and had to do the pin hole in the electrical tape thing.  But then I decided to punch a pin hole in them over the air gap in the magnet.  This is actually easy to do...but  my experience is don't do it.  It's suppose to break up resonant nodes.  it may but it also kills the bass punch. thins out the mids and lessens the dynamics.  

I will be building a few pair in the next couple of weeks after i get done with my new job training that is quite intensive.....webhosting support for blue host!

Happy Listening

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #3,859 of 4,317
Okay there is a better alternative than eyeglass microfiber cloth.  Sadly it aint cheap because lab grad clean room polyester cellulose wipes are generally only available mass quantity bulk.   Rin's filters...yup I have a pair kindly gifted to me.  They appear to be the same as Bennett 750 pro lab grade wipes.  The prices are bulk and are more than you want to spend. 

Yes I am relentless...but you would be too after hearing the difference.  Highs and transparency much better while still smoothing the sound and eliminating resonances.   They allow the 400's to sound much better than microfiber...which sounds noticeably better than stock already.  

So what to do?   Thank the chinesse for always finding a cheaper way.  I found a source for cheap.  Not exactly same weaving pattern... more random but equivalent material composition of a very similar thickness.  very open looking weave.   Are you salivating you should be!!!!!   Will take a couple weeks to get them.  Will have freebies at that point.

Start PMing me in about 3 weeks if your interested.  I will then put a sheet or two in an envelope and you can play.

The 9927's should be all the better with some of these filters.   

Happy Listening

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #3,860 of 4,317
Why not just remove the filter completely? :p  Though speaking of which, how the heck does one go about removing said filter?

In other news, my white 9963's should be here tomorrow.  Seeing how microphonic-testing doesn't require the burn-in period, I'll be checking that first thing.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3,861 of 4,317
  Why not just remove the filter completely? :p  Though speaking of which, how the heck does one go about removing said filter?

In other news, my white 9963's should be here tomorrow.  Seeing how microphonic-testing doesn't require the burn-in period, I'll be checking that first thing.

Make no mistake...these need filtering or they can laser drill your ears even if your a bright highs kind of listener.  They have substantial sibilance.  All the rin choi suggested mods are about controlling these substantial resonance issues.  The 9927's are remarkabley neutral and linear with a hint of sweetness when the resonsances are dealt with.  Stock filters are just there to keep the wax out.  The mesh does subtley smooth the airflow but not significantly.   The balance is smoothing without damping.  I believe that these filters will accomplish that more significantly than anything else out there.  complys, perhaps not the round versions, damp the highs and rev up the mid bass.  Don't do that with these.  The bass properly tuned and seated using double flanges is about as good as earbuds get.  Deep subbasss and a very nice linear well balanced mid and upper bass that transistions as well as anything i have heard into the midrange.  The microfiber does nicely witheverything but does actually slightly dull the highs.  I find this preferable to bright and sibilant and my old ears don't quite extend like they used to.  Nonetheless comparing this type of material in the RE 400's to microfiber and stock, the difference is easily apparent.
Which I believe will translate over well to the 9927's.   I do not have a working pair for reasons I have previously explained.  But I will be building up a couple all out Rin choi's probably next week.  I assure they take no prisoners from my previous experiences and with these filters that will be even more so.  

Just my take on how remarkable these babies can be.

Happy Listening!

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #3,863 of 4,317
Interesting!

You can cut them out or just get a pushpin and slide it around the edge to break the adhesive seal.  I keep them and use them as part of the filtering with the other fabric.  If your not keeping them just yank em out.  They come out pretty easily with a bit of force.   

Good luck,

happy listening!

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #3,864 of 4,317

i agree before jwtriode's comments i use to listen to my 8320 without a filter, i just used a needle to push out the filter and its filterless, i actually did not like the sound with the filter on, i had 2 pairs of the 8320 one with and 1 without to test and i didn't very thorughly listen to it but from what i recall they sounded muffled and after taking off the filter it opened up, albeit some resonances  were more apparent now. but i still prefer it than with the filter.

i barely listen to the 8320s now i still don't think they measure up to my re400 in terms of neutrality, the mid bass overwhelms the subbas, its midbass is not bad but i still think it needs more extension and tone down the midbass make it more obvious, and the vocals still sound a bit too thin for me. and the treble is good if your treble senstive but i prefer the re400s much much more its so much more precise and articulate. 

just my 2 cents 
for me now in terms of my favorite audio gear: hi fiman re400s, noontec zoros and the monster turbines both number 2 ( turbines for bassier music) then my my philiips she3580 then finally 8320. 

i dun mind doing some little reversible mods, but too extensive modding gets costly and being a clumsy person, i know i will mess up too many times plus the cable is just annoying, my re400s have a fabric cable (2nd half) but it doesn't kink like the 8320s. thats just my # 1 complaint (they tangle and kink like no tomorrow)

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #3,865 of 4,317
i listen to mine without the filter... my filters were removed when i taped the ends to prevent silicone mix from geting inside from making earmolds...

i just listened to my AWEI ES800M to compare with my 8320 with earmold,,, and the awei just dont compare,, sounds like they are muffled and the lower bass is boosted while mid to upper bass is lowered.. along with monoprice 9396... using MAN OF STEEL OST as my music of choice.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #3,866 of 4,317
FYI, both the white 9963 IEMs and the black 9927 IEMs were tested with the cable going forward and down, not over-the-ear.

tl;dr - The white 9963 IEMs are better than or equal to the black 9927 IEMs in every way.

Just got the white 9963 IEMs today.  Holy reduced microphonics Batman!

The microphonics are actually still there, but they are quite a bit quieter, to the point that when the cord is just laying against me and it rubs against my face or my shirt a bit, it is quieter than the noise floor of the oldish 16bit sound card I'm still using. (that's one of the next upgrade on the list)  Not only that, but the actual sound of the micro-phonics is quite a bit less annoying.  You know that low, muffled-ish sound it you can sometimes hear if touch and/or move around a pair of over-the-ear cans while still wearing them that sounds similar to how you hear things when underwater?  That's similar to what the micro-phonics on the white 9963 IEMs sound like.  The loudest sound is if something hits rather than rubs the cord, particularly if the left and right cords hit each-other without you holding the cord (and out-of-the-box the cord is all bent and "zigzagged", making such a cord-collision very possible, but becomes rare as the cords straighten out with use and time).

Most importantly however, touching the cord that comes right out of the the IEM speakers is not crazy loud, and in fact is quieter than the previously-mentioned "hitting" the cord.  It's even about half as quiet as rubbing the IEM itself that's in your ear - on the black 9927 IEMs rubbing the cord where it came out of the IEMs was just as loud if not louder than rubbing the IEM itself.

UPDATE: The white 9963 IEMs have extremely quiet micro-phonics when the right cord mearly rubs against the left cord.  By comparison doing the same thing with the 9927 IEMs results in some of the loudest micro-phonics.

UPDATE 2: I did have a teeny bit of time for a quick & dirty test for wearing the cord over-the-ear.  Wearing the 9963 cord over-the-ear without anything to hold in in place (such as glasses) only reduced micro-phonics by a little bit since the cord isn't heavy enough to fall against the ear very well.  With the cord held in place via glasses, the micro-phonics are even more greatly reduced to the point that only tapping the cord or rubbing the cord against the back of the ear causes micro-phonics that are loud enough to even be considered "micro-phonics".  Heck, moving your own jaw around causes louder micro-phonics than the cord does.

I haven't tested anything else, I literally just got the IEMs like 20 minutes ago.  Only other thing I've noticed is that the stock tips are not white but clear! (which I think looks awesome) From some extremely preliminary testing (10 minutes), assuming this isn't just confirmation bias, I believe the stock tips are also softer than the black 9927's stock tips as well and therefore may actually be usable for long-term use.  The cord is also more comfortable on the ear's frontal-upper cartilage due to it being rubberized.

Also for the modders out there, the white 9963 IEMs also have the same rubberized casing finish, so shaving down the "fins" should be a just as simple. Just remember not to blow away the shavings!  You can damage the drivers in the IEMs since they're open-backed.  I instead recommend tapping the side of the IEM moderately lightly against a hard surface with the shavings-covered side facing downward into a sink or trash can.

EDIT: Just did the fin-shaving mod and even that is better on the white 9963 IEMs!  On the black 9927 IEMs, if you get through all the rubber and start shaving the plastic, the worn-down plastic will have a somewhat glossy sheen.  The white 9963 IEMs have that as well, but because the IEMs are white in the first place, the glossy-ness is much less obvious due to the reduction in contrast.

Oh, and it isn't obvious from the pictures, but the metal backing on the white 9963 IEM's is exactly the same as the one on the black 9927 IEMs.

EDIT 2: Yup, I'm totally not a bass-head.  I was doing a quick bit of listening before burning them in and all I can think of while listening to them is "there's too much bass dang it".

EDIT 3: Um... why is the text editor different if your post is the first one on a page VS if your post is somewhere in the middle of the page?  Hence my edits to my first post on this current page regarding the text editor being the same as that on overclock.net...

EDIT 4: Lolwut, that Touhou music that I previously said sounded a bit "flat and artificial" sounds way better on these white 9963 IEMs!  I wonder if I accidentally damaged my 9927's a bit when I was doing the shaving mod - I had not covered the backside whenever I was blowing off the shavings (I made sure to cover every hole on the 9963's during the few times I did blow off the shavings).

Either that or a more V-shaped frequency response is more favorable to Touhou music.  Or maybe I'm getting a better seal since I think the stock tips are more comfortable than the 9927's and therefore allowing me to use a larger size?

EDIT 5: It seems that it was the seal.  I put the medium-sized 9963 tips onto my black 9927 IEMs and sure enough, it no longer sounds so "flat & artifical".  Interestingly enough, when I put the stock 9927 tips back on the music seemed a bit flat...

EDIT 6: From doing a direct comparison between the two I'm pretty sure the stock tips for the white 9963 IEMs are softer and squishier than the stock tips for the black 9927 IEMs.  This could also be causing a better seal than the 9927 stock tips and therefore making the above-mentioned Touhou music seem less flat.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #3,867 of 4,317
  Just got the white 9963 IEMs today.  Holy reduced microphonics Batman!

tl;dr - The white 9963 IEMs are better than or equal to the black 9927 IEMs in every way.

The microphonics are actually still there, but they are quite a bit quieter, to the point that when the cord is just laying against me and it rubs against my face or my shirt a bit, it is quieter than the noise floor of the oldish 16bit sound card I'm still using. (that's one of the next upgrade on the list)  Not only that, but the actual sound of the micro-phonics is quite a bit less annoying.  You know that low, muffled-ish sound it you can sometimes hear if touch and/or move around a pair of over-the-ear cans while still wearing them that sounds similar to how you hear things when underwater?  That's similar to what the micro-phonics on the white 9963 IEMs sound like.  The loudest sound is if something hits rather than rubs the cord, particularly if the left and right cords hit each-other (and at least out-of-the-box it would seem that the cord is all bent and "zigzagged", making such a cord-collision very possible).

Most importantly however, touching the cord that comes right out of the the IEMs is not crazy loud, and in fact is quieter than the previously-mentioned "hitting" the cord.  It's even about half as quiet as rubbing the IEM itself that's in your ear - on the black 9927 IEMs rubbing the cord where it came out of the IEMs was just as loud if not louder than rubbing the IEM itself.

UPDATE: The white 9963 IEMs have extremely quiet micro-phonics when the right cord mearly rubs against the left cord.  My comparison doing the same thing with the 9927 IEMs results in some of the loudest micro-phonics.

I haven't tested anything else, I literally just got the IEMs like 20 minutes ago.  Only other thing I've noticed is that the stock tips are not white but clear! (which I think looks awesome) From some extremely preliminary testing (10 minutes), assuming this isn't just confirmation bias, I believe the stock tips are also softer than the black 9927's stock tips as well and therefore may actually be usable for long-term use.  The cord is also more comfortable on the ear's frontal-upper cartilage due to it being rubberized.

Also for the modders out there, the white 9963 IEMs also have the same rubberized casing finish, so shaving down the "fins" should be a just as simple. Just remember not to blow away the shavings!  You can damage the drivers in the IEMs since they're open-backed.  I instead recommend tapping the side of the IEM moderately lightly against a hard surface with the shavings-covered side facing downward into a sink or trash can.

EDIT: Just did the fin-shaving mod and even that is better on the white 9963 IEMs!  On the black 9927 IEMs, if you get through all the rubber and start shaving the plastic, the worn-down plastic will have a somewhat glossy sheen.  The white 9963 IEMs have that as well, but because the IEMs are white in the first place, the glossy-ness is much less obvious due to the reduction in contrast.

Oh, and it isn't obvious from the pictures, but the metal backing on the white 9963 IEM's is exactly the same as the one on the black 9927 IEMs.

EDIT 2: Yup, I'm totally not a bass-head.  I was doing a quick bit of listening before burning them in and all I can think of while listening to them is "there's too much bass dang it".

EDIT 3: Um... why is the text editor different if your post is the first one on a page VS if your post is somewhere in the middle of the page?  Hence my edits to my first post on this current page regarding the text editor being the same as that on overclock.net...

EDIT 4: Lolwut, that Touhou music that I previously said sounded a bit "flat and artificial" sounds way better on these white 9963 IEMs!  I wonder if I accidentally damaged my 9927's a bit when I was doing the shaving mod - I had not covered the backside whenever I was blowing off the shavings (I made sure to cover every hole on the 9963's during the few times I did blow off the shavings).

Either that or a more V-shaped frequency response is more favorable to Touhou music.  Or maybe I'm getting a better seal since I think the stock tips are more comfortable than the 9927's and therefore allowing me to use a larger size?

EDIT 5: It seems that it was the seal.  I put the medium-sized 9963 tips onto my black 9927 IEMs and sure enough, it no longer sounds so "flat & artifical".  Interestingly enough, when I put the stock 9927 tips back on the music seemed a bit flat...

EDIT 6: From doing a direct comparison between the two I'm pretty sure the stock tips for the white 9963 IEMs are softer and squishier than the stock tips for the black 9927 IEMs.  This could also be causing a better seal than the 9927 stock tips and therefore making the above-mentioned Touhou music seem less flat.

just curious when you were doing these "microphonic activities" did you wear them cable down or cable in front or did you tuck them behind the ear?

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #3,868 of 4,317
Cable down in front for both.  The cord was still zig-zagged due to just coming out of the box.  I've edited that into my previous post.

Do you want me to test with both over-the-ear instead?  I can do that, but it'll probably have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday.

EDIT: I did have a teeny bit of time for a quick & dirty test however.  Wearing the 9963 cord over-the-ear without anything to hold in in place (such as glasses) only reduced micro-phonics by a little bit since the cord isn't heavy enough to fall against the ear very well.  With the cord held in place via glasses, the micro-phonics are even more greatly reduced to the point that only tapping the cord or rubbing the cord against the back of the ear causes micro-phonics that are loud enough to even be considered "micro-phonics".  Heck, moving your own jaw around causes louder micro-phonics than the cord does.

EDIT 2: Wow, it's really obvious how boomy the non-burned-in bass is when when you have a pair of already-burned-in Monoprice IEMs to compare to.  I've already done like 14 hours of burn in, but I could still tell that there's too much bass... It does seem however that the higher-end of the spectrum takes fewer hours of burn-in to sound correct.

Once again I'm proving to myself that I'm clearly not a bass-head. :p

EDIT 3: These stock tips for the white 9963 IEM's are definitely more comfortable cause I've been wearing them for hours at a time with very minimal discomfort.  Either that or the placebo effect is in full force here. :p

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #3,869 of 4,317
I just got new monoprice 9927, now with jack material from rubber? low bass are noticeable stronger compared with my two pair 9927's with metal jack. does anyone here purchase pair with different phone jack?

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #3,870 of 4,317
I don't know how you guys are managing to put the microfiber at the end of the nozzles without them falling out. I tried but when I put the tips on, they fall out. Any suggestions?
Edit. I did it. I find I have to increase the volume substantially to get the same level of sound with this microfiber filter. The bass seems to be bloated. The cloth might be too thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back