The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Aug 31, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #3,751 of 4,317
Quote:
It's all pretty awesome. Love seeing people mod. At the same time it reminds me of the time I read a recipe on how to make a Wendy's frosty. After looking at all the work involved I though "or I can just go buy one".

Sadly that isnt a possibility with these.

I agree that tri-flange tips really help due to their depth. Once I get around the bend in my canal the sound is like a whole new beast with crazy soundstage. Unfortunately it just isn't comfortable for me.

I havent used triples with anything else I have owned.  But yup when you go from doubles to triples everything opens up and is more refined.  The foam adds to that taking it a little further.  It makes me want to try triples on the RE 400's but I can't find anything with a bore as wide as the hifiman double flanges.  I  even tried making a tip from scratch with vinyl tubing and foam sleeves.  Isn't flexible enough unfortunately.   Still hoping theres a wide triple  out there!

Somewhere out there beneath the pale blue sky someones dreaming of me....!

Happy Listening!

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #3,752 of 4,317
It's all pretty awesome. Love seeing people mod. At the same time it reminds me of the time I read a recipe on how to make a Wendy's frosty. After looking at all the work involved I though "or I can just go buy one".

Sadly that isnt a possibility with these.

I agree that tri-flange tips really help due to their depth. Once I get around the bend in my canal the sound is like a whole new beast with crazy soundstage. Unfortunately it just isn't comfortable for me.

i have the same problem,, then bend would squeeze the tps close and thats why chose to do a mold usng a double flange.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #3,753 of 4,317
Much thanks to Inks...he convinced me to consider double flanges on these and sure buff the upper miss and highs are more correct but tuning is a bit more fiddly. Resonance is more noticeable and that gorgeous decadent rich ease is no longer there but on the right stuff when the resonnances are not excited you can hear that these babies can really be something with the right tuning. Trying to find out Rin's specific hankie recipe for filters. The Hifiman double flanges are 3/16" wide on the bore. Yea! NOW FOR RIN's nozzle mod. Unfortunately destroyed my 9927 in the effort. More on the way... ahh in tearing them apart I see how to do it correctly.....Muhaha!

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #3,754 of 4,317
You're a madman!!

If using iOS I suggest all users to try the Dirac DSP for XTZ with bass boost on (without the boost it looses too much bass). Tames all the resonance in the 5k region and improves treble extension.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #3,755 of 4,317
I just got the 9927s and one thing i noticed is that the left channel produces more highs (sometimes sibilant) whereas the right channel completely has no sibilance at all.
Is this normal or I got ear problems? Please help. Thanks.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3,756 of 4,317
I just got the 9927s and one thing i noticed is that the left channel produces more highs (sometimes sibilant) whereas the right channel completely has no sibilance at all.

Is this normal or I got ear problems? Please help. Thanks.

I've never had that issue. I would just return them and get a new pair. Monoprice has great client service.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #3,757 of 4,317
My ears are on the smaller side and I've always struggled with IEMs that have wide posts - but I think I've found a way to keep the 8320s around as a valid backup pair for when my Etymotics (with their delightfully narrow posts) are down for maintenance. 

The only ear tip I've ever been perfectly happy with is the Etymotic ER6-14 double flange, which used to be the standard pack-in for the ER6 line of IEMs (why they moved away from these is beyond me, and they're the only way I can use newer Etymotic products).

Anyway, after fidgeting with the 8320s for a while, I decided to try the ER6-14 tip. However, for me, the angle of insertion means the tips get pinched off, so I trimmed the tip to a single flange. 

The fit is pretty shallow, but I get a decent seal once the tips have warmed up. They don't cut it as a daily driver (purely because of fit), but i'm happy with them as a standby.

Furthermore, I decided to try the 9927s, and I think the rubbery paint finish on the casing feels a little better in my ears than the metallic 8320 finish, but I did notice they've cut a few corners on the cable and plug.

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #3,758 of 4,317
The Hifiman large double flanges work wonderfully well on the 9927's.  Try Rin Choi's microfiber filter in place of or in addition to the stock filter on the nozzle... you will be very pleasently surprised!

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #3,759 of 4,317
Warning: lucky I bought two pair of these, as I put my lips around the back of these and lightly blew into the back of one of them, just to see if they were open back, and ruined the thing. Don't be a dope like me and do this, they don't seem able to take even a .1 psi difference in pressure and made a death rattle, they are open backed, trust me. The ear piece I blew in still works but it lacks any treble. Doh!

I listened to a good Naxos recording of Copland (Fanfare, Rodeo, Billy the Kid, Appalachian Spring) on real CD and player, and found the performance interesting, clear but harsh, one dimensional, and not especially honest. I switched to my ancient pair of Grado SR60's that I keep at work, and stepped into a layer of reality, and sweetness, that the monoprice units could not match. All in all, I can believe that these cheap IEM's may be great for  for $7, and I;m using them for audio books as the fabric cable is not distracting. To my ear these are far less natural than the Denon C531's I've had for the last 5 years. I have a pair of A-151's too and they aren't as natural as the Grado's either, but much closer, and the Grado's aren't as good as the Sennheiser 580's I also have.

Anyway, I'm not very impressed with these $7 iem's for use with recordings of acoustic music.

If only I could get over feeling like the 'Big Helmet' in 'Spaceballs' with my large cans plugged into my Zip Clip.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #3,760 of 4,317
Nice comparisons. Just a couple of comments and questions.

The back where you see what appears to be 3 screws are actually vent ports. However, they don't lead to the driver directly but to the PCB where the cable wires are soldered. You must have really huffed and puffed.

Out of curiosity, how much burn time did you give them first and what tips are you using on them?

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #3,761 of 4,317
  Warning: lucky I bought two pair of these, as I put my lips around the back of these and lightly blew into the back of one of them, just to see if they were open back, and ruined the thing. Don't be a dope like me and do this, they don't seem able to take even a .1 psi difference in pressure and made a death rattle, they are open backed, trust me. The ear piece I blew in still works but it lacks any treble. Doh!

I'm sorry, this seems terribly, terribly stupid.  Why wouldn't you just cover the vent with tape and see if you notice audible changes?

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #3,762 of 4,317
Hey guys, just joined up!

I just got my 8320s today and have been listening to them all afternoon. At first I was kinda iffy, but they're growing on me fast!

What should I do to burn them in? Is there somewhere I can read up on burn In theory?

Also, has anybody done a summary of mods, tips, and tricks from the thread? I know I wont be reading all 251 pages :p

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #3,763 of 4,317
Nice comparisons. Just a couple of comments and questions.

The back where you see what appears to be 3 screws are actually vent ports. However, they don't lead to the driver directly but to the PCB where the cable wires are soldered. You must have really huffed and puffed.

Out of curiosity, how much burn time did you give them first and what tips are you using on them?

Not much puff, and I heard a sound like a plastic diphram being uncrinkled, yeah pretty stupid. I suspect the circuit board has leaks to the diaphram otherwise there would no point in having a rear vent in the first place. 12 hours burn in on FM white noise, I used the medium and large tips with only a bit more bass with the larger tips and these had plenty of bass for me anyway, the treble and mids, where they are the weirdest remained the same. I'm not saying these things are junk, they are a lot better than Mee BK12 I have, or the GE ones I got when I lost a pair on the road. I can understand why these are in the best cheapest category but I still stick to my old Denon's sounding just as good if not better, however they cost more than $7.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #3,765 of 4,317
Not going to quote anyone specifically but the real beauty, it's not their looks, of these is not just that they are cheap, but that they are cheap enough to destroy!

Yup, no fear tearing some up to learn to exploit their potential.  If you don't mod the hell out of these you really don't have a clue about what
you've got hear/here.   

Read Rin choi's blog...play with filters, change tips, buy a few extra.  Thanks for the EMP1155 discount!  Not huge but got my last 3 pair for
$6.60.  Okay I have destroyed two pair and have a working pair that quite work out but plays.  One stock with Rin style filters...oh and do pull the
mesh ones out and then put on top of Rin choi's when you do it...works a touch better that way.   

But here's the kicker.  I did Rin's full mod w/o hole punched into the airgap!  Enough resonance damping with filters and and doping.  Triple flanges sound gorgeous 
but double flanges are more accurate.  You can get away with double after damping and doping.   The sound is no longer bright, Neutral yes in kind of the way in which they
just get out of the way and play music.  Comparitively they are liquid, flowing, dynamic as hell, through a huge soundspace but can be wonderfully intimate and will play as
loud as you can stand but are wonderfully detailed and involving at low levels.

You won't hear this till you kill the resonances.  Rin choi is a genius...read his blog!  Be clever...Hell I used pen top caps bored out for my nozzles.  Yes the wider bore improves
the high frequency and upper mids!   I can still tweak these a bit more...but this pair is my current working pair.  Have another set which I believe can be built a little better than
this.

Someone at Monoprice should redesign these and raise the price, but that will never happen.   So you are left to your own devices.

Deleriously happy listening...on the cheap!   L&LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back