The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Aug 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #3,721 of 4,317
Get some meelec triple flanges...if they will fit. Cut down a hankie to replace the std filter and depending on your tastes put a couple mm's of soft thin open cell foam down the noozle. Then prepare to have your jaw open for and eyes opened for a very extended period of time. Oh yeah and burn em in over at Jlabs. They have put their burnin app off pink noise, white noise and random noise online!

You can run it continuous. Oh so sweet!

Happy Listening!

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3,722 of 4,317
Get some meelec triple flanges...if they will fit. Cut down a hankie to replace the std filter and depending on your tastes put a couple mm's of soft thin open cell foam down the noozle. Then prepare to have your jaw open for and eyes opened for a very extended period of time. Oh yeah and burn em in over at Jlabs. They have put their burnin app off pink noise, white noise and random noise online!

You can run it continuous. Oh so sweet!

Happy Listening!

You should make a little video showing how to do it and some links to the materials.
It seems pretty simple, but I'm sure many would appreciate some visuals.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #3,723 of 4,317
Kamakaha:

No one to shoot it and just have my phone camera.

If you like I will PM instructions. It's not hard.  Just punching holes in earplug foam and sliding it over and under the slicone flanges using ball point pen front cap from a large pen.  Filters are easy just cut tiny to size and place in...can tamp down to seat with anything of the right diameter.   Open cell foam for inside noozle is just low density open cell foam.  Have to play here to tune.  just cut from a couple mm to 5mm long and about 2mm or so wide and slowly push in then put your cut down hankie filter. 

I will PM you full instructions this weekend when I have a few minutes.

Happy Listening!

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,724 of 4,317
Here is a picture from my crap smartphone to give you an idea.

Pardon the foam.  It's old and had to cut from left over tips.  Store was out of my favorite earplug foam.

Will redo next week to clean them up with new earplugs.

But you get the idea.!!!

Best seal ever!!!!!! EVER!

Works wonderfully if you got big canals.  Meelecs are available in small and medium I believe, at least medium.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #3,726 of 4,317
For another SQ level up, you could try eq-ing the sound by add +10db from 15k-20k. add +db to 12k make the sound too shrill. just recently apply the eq and amazed how sound improved compared to stock.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #3,727 of 4,317
So it's been about almost 3 months since I last posted in this thread, but to be honest, I just kind of forgot to post up my mods. Now forgive me for the terrible image quality since I took these pictures with my itouch. 

These are monoprice 9927 with a mogami 2893 cable, MDPC-X sleeving, heat-shrink y-splits, and a neutrik plug. I actually had lost the original strain reliefs while putting everything together so a combo of epoxy and the use of a glue gun was the alternative. Admittedly, it holds well, but because the MDPC-X sleeving is too stiff, I can't put it over my ears anymore. :/

As for the sound though, I can't really a/b between the original monoprice cable and the Mogami 9927, however, IIRC, the mids were what really stood out to me when I first listened to the 9927's. With the mogami cable, while I can't hear any discernable difference in the mids, I have noticed that things such as the decay of percussion instruments have become slightly slower like in songs from Shiina Ringo like Marunouchi Sadistic. The bass has certainly been kicked up a notch, but that might be because of a mux-up I did when I put on the epoxy as strain relief. Overall, the change in sound when I did the re-cable has been minimal, but very pleasing. 

The microphonics are terrible though and I'll probably stick to using the MDPC-X sleeving for over-ear headphones. 

I'd like to thank Kamakahah for the help with soldering, cable, and materials info. Your advice was incredibly helpful.
http://imgur.com/a/U9vub

I
f these aren't enough pictures, please feel free to bother me for more!

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #3,729 of 4,317
Just picked up the 9927s and so far so good. Not an audiophile by any means but these are sounding way better than the Apple earbuds I were using. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #3,732 of 4,317
I reabled my 9927s, the black ones, and there are noticeable differences. FWIW, I used silver plated copper conductors.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #3,733 of 4,317
Got them yesterday and listened to them today with some generic tips and I wasn't all that impressed. Then, I switched to the Sony hybrids and holy crap, the bass has come out so much more and the sound is so much fuller. The cable however, is the worst that I have ever seen, equal with the Klipsch Custom 3. Going to try and recable them with the cable from my old SGS2 earphones. . 

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #3,734 of 4,317
The 9927's sound best with triple flanges.  The Melecs are nice more transparent looking, but the ones from Lostearbuds on ebay are a bit softer, slightly more opaque looking but they feel better and seem to seal just a hint better.  Foam them up like mine for even better seal but they smooth the resonnance and extend the bass and also add detail and presence to the sound.  You can read Rin Choi's blog to get some ideas for improvements as well. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #3,735 of 4,317
Quote:
The 9927's sound best with triple flanges.  The Melecs are nice more transparent looking, but the ones from Lostearbuds on ebay are a bit softer, slightly more opaque looking but they feel better and seem to seal just a hint better.  Foam them up like mine for even better seal but they smooth the resonnance and extend the bass and also add detail and presence to the sound.  You can read Rin Choi's blog to get some ideas for improvements as well. 

I thought that 9927's was harsher than 8320s. I look at Rin Choi's measurement, 8320s peak at 5k are indeed more even with low and midrange frequency compared to 9927s. I tried put the foam just like recommended, agree with you  about detail and bass, vocal and instruments are sound more realistic also increased soundstage!, I like it better as good as my 8320s pair now, I dont put foam on 8320 though.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back