The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Feb 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #3,256 of 4,317
hello, newbie here.I'm in the process of purchasing a new headphone.my current set is a skullcandy jib.pretty cheap one.however when I wanted to upgrade I came across reviews of monoprice 8320/9927(they're both same rite?). the price seems ridiculous for what the reviews state.
I do prefer bass.so is the monoprice better than the jibs at this? should I try some other brand?are there better options at the price range for bass centric headphones.again I'm a newbie.I'm not looking at sennheisers and other high cost brands initially.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #3,257 of 4,317
Quote:
hello, newbie here.I'm in the process of purchasing a new headphone.my current set is a skullcandy jib.pretty cheap one.however when I wanted to upgrade I came across reviews of monoprice 8320/9927(they're both same rite?). the price seems ridiculous for what the reviews state.
I do prefer bass.so is the monoprice better than the jibs at this? should I try some other brand?are there better options at the price range for bass centric headphones.again I'm a newbie.I'm not looking at sennheisers and other high cost brands initially.

The 9927 is the newer version. The body is black and smooth instead of a chrome look. The 9927 is "enhanced bass" though that might be a bit misleading. 

As for sound, what do you usually listen to music with? What is your source (phone, ipod, etc)? Based on your comments, I assume that you don't have any other gear such as an amp or dac. All of this things will affect the sound.

These do a great job at separating the sounds of the different instruments so that they don't all sound like one big mush sound. You can pick out each one and listen to it separately if you wanted to. Basically the sound on these is a really forward mid section. That means your going to hear guitar and vocals right up front and more than anything else. Normal consumer products, and their consumers have become accustomed to a V-shaped sound (I was no different). Many people love a V-shaped sound. That means the bass on the low end, and cymbals, violin, flute, etc on high end will be more prominently heard.  It comes down to a matter of preference. Also, the genre of song can greatly affect what sound-signature you'd prefer.

You get the idea. I enjoy listening to rock music with these (e.g. Pantera, Led Zeppelin, etc), but when I listen to dubstep, rap, or other bass heavy music I find these really lacking; However, I recently plugged them into my amp/dac and the sound improved x100. 

Shipped they are like 10$. Just don't order a combo from McDs and you've payed for them. If they aren't your cup from tea, its not a huge loss. 
TL:DR  sorry.

One last piece of input. I have a pair of JVC HAFX1X for bass heavy music, and I enjoy them very much for what they are, and they can be had for about 18$ off amazon. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #3,259 of 4,317
@kama, yes.I use the headphones on my 2 year old sgs.of course there are various apps such as voodoo sound and poweramp that let's us tweak sound but still I guess ur point is that I use a mobile device and not any dedicated audio gear/device.I'll be jumping to sgs3 or note 2 in a few months time.
I usually listen to rap, rnb, techno and the likes.nothing like jazz.I used to be like the v-sound person.now its more like mid/vocals and bass.don't like treble much-reduces bass (I'm a newbie please forgive any mistakes).I keep that end of the band flat or a lil below.

I'm only getting started here.point-i was like wow when I used the jibs compared to stock Samsung headphones. bass was like night day difference to me then.so the price of monoprice and sound quality promised seemed like a nice offer.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #3,260 of 4,317
@kama, yes.I use the headphones on my 2 year old sgs.of course there are various apps such as voodoo sound and poweramp that let's us tweak sound but still I guess ur point is that I use a mobile device and not any dedicated audio gear/device.I'll be jumping to sgs3 or note 2 in a few months time.
I usually listen to rap, rnb, techno and the likes.nothing like jazz.I used to be like the v-sound person.now its more like mid/vocals and bass.don't like treble much-reduces bass (I'm a newbie please forgive any mistakes).I keep that end of the band flat or a lil below.

I'm only getting started here.point-i was like wow when I used the jibs compared to stock Samsung headphones. bass was like night day difference to me then.so the price of monoprice and sound quality promised seemed like a nice offer.

I think the 9927s will be a good experiment for you -- They were for me. They really do benefit from some gear. I still need to do some A/B testing of the "tape mod" to see if there really is a quality benefit.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #3,261 of 4,317
I found the Monoprice 8320 great value but to me they sounded tinny! It could have been the fit as i found the medium buds were too big for me!

Can anyone recommend an online site (UK) to get tips that will fit these. I have loads of tips but the fitting was too narrow for all of them :frowning2:

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3,262 of 4,317
Quote:

just get both ,,, the 9396  and the 8320,,,     i have the 9396 for times when i want more bass and that is usually when im out in public  and the 8320 i use for critical listening..  

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #3,263 of 4,317
Quote:
Ok got my 9927!! Yay! 
Really nice! It's been 15 min I had them! And they sound really good! And have isolation too 0_o almost hit by a car, when I introduce my bus ticket I didn't hear the beep... lol 
Anyway this guy is nice, he gets in touch with his clients. If you live in europe or the worldwide (with exception of course) contact [size=small]sammaajiva ![/size]
Back to my 9927 :3

Quote:
Would someone be willing to send me 2 pairs of 8320 to EU? I can give positive feedback plus 2$ fee for sending per pair..

Go on ebay, and contact sammaajiva, link in quote!
He ships fast, he is authentic and a nice guy! I got mine in 3 days!
He sells a pack of 2 8320, or 9927. Mine are 9927 by the way.... and I suppose 9927>8320

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #3,264 of 4,317
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008/ref=zg_bs_172541_4  How do these compare to the monoprice?  Also is there a way to make the monoprice with a hook to stay in the ear when running and being active?

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #3,265 of 4,317
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008/ref=zg_bs_172541_4  How do these compare to the monoprice?  Also is there a way to make the monoprice with a hook to stay in the ear when running and being active?

not sure if you want to make your own silicone earmolds  but mine stay in with no problem with the molds i have,,,,   or you can maybe purchase the ear loops themselves..  something i have been plannng on doing myself... they were mention on a previous page,,, cant seem to find it now 

they are here,,, http://www.meelec.com/category_s/393.htm

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3,266 of 4,317
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008/ref=zg_bs_172541_4  How do these compare to the monoprice? 

To my ears, the 8320/9927 buds are superior to the RPHJE120 in sound but lose on the comfort. With stock tips, the Pannys stays in once they're in because they sit right in your ear canal. The Monos not so much. I'm using better earbud tips to provide better isolation, holding ability, and sound. However, I keep my Panasonic RPHJE120s in the drawer because they don't sound as good and I keep them for someone such as my wife who doesn't care about sound quality. I've tried many times to get her into better sounding music but she doesn't care. Anyways, that means I get better music all to myself. I currently consider the 9927 my favorite buds at the time being (have Monster Turbines in the mail). Compared to the Pannys, the Monos have an overall better sound. It has more pronounced bass and better, more forward treble. There's noticeably more clarity; so vocals sound much better (women voices are more realistic and thus sound more sexier--not the same experience with the Pannys). Soundstage is also better on the Monos. Skip the RPHJE120 if budget sound quality is what you're after.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #3,267 of 4,317
Sorry to report, but the 8320s just aren't doing it for me. The bass has no impact at any range. When I EQ, it goes right from barely there to clipping without ever showing me some punch.

I love my 8323s, and was willing to give monoprice another shot to impress me, but the 8320s just aren't it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3,269 of 4,317
try the 9396.. they have more bass,,    as for tips some have luck with double flange tips while others use foam comply t400 tips...    i have said it before and i will repeat it,, for me the best fit was to make a silicone mold of my outer ear with the earphones inplace without a tip...     this way if u dont want to use a tip you can just cut away enough silicone to expose the nozzle,,, or cut away enough to fit a tip of your choice for 2 times the isolation... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back