The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #2,821 of 4,317
i dunno i didnt find these too great. they were uncomfortable too. yea theyre really cheap, but when are you going to have time to listen to inferior headphones anyways, especially considering how uncomfortable they are?

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2,822 of 4,317
Quote:
i dunno i didnt find these too great. they were uncomfortable too. yea theyre really cheap, but when are you going to have time to listen to inferior headphones anyways, especially considering how uncomfortable they are?

There is really nothing inferior about them. They have great clarity, decent bass and a nice sized soundstage. The proper seal/fit is essential for these to sound the way they are intended to. Experiment with different tips and give a proper burn in. It will help a lot. Turned many here in to believers. They are uncomfortable though but some have corrected that with some foam tips. I don't blame you for your comments . You hear what you hear. Just try what is suggested here and see if it makes a difference for you.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #2,823 of 4,317
Quote:
I noticed that too. If the tips have a narrow opening , it really reduced the bass on these things. I changed back to stock tips. They fit well but are uncomfortable but do give me the bass that was lacking. Never had so much fun with a such a cheap product. I just love the soundstage on them. Incredible..

Maybe you can help me. With the stock tips these headphones sound fine indoors. They give me pretty good clarity and thump, which makes me think I'm getting a good seal. But when I take them outside, I can hear all kinds of noise from the city, and it sounds like I'm not getting a good seal. Does that mean I'm not getting a good seal? And that there's more to these headphones than I could have ever imagined? That's why I'm thinking I need to change out my tips... I've owned quite a few earbuds, and usually these size tips I would change without even trying them on, because I know they're too big right off the bat. But somehow they fit me with this earbud.
I know your environment can change the acoustics of any headphones, but I never really used to have this problem with my Image S4. The difference between inside and outside use was very subtle.

Also to anyone that can't get these to fit right, try rotating the bud until the piece somewhat slots into ear. My wire is coming pointed a little more upwards than the pictures in this thread. I don't have particularly large ears, but they fit me just fine. And by fit, I mean actually staying in your ears. In fact, these are some of the most secure earbuds I've ever owned. It does feel a little uncomfortable at first, but I think that's just because I'm not used to wearing such a huge driver. I think those little spikes all around the outside are supposed to be mounting points to grip into your ear. That's the only reason I can think of that these stay put so well, despite being so big.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #2,824 of 4,317
Maybe you can help me. With the stock tips these headphones sound fine indoors. They give me pretty good clarity and thump, which makes me think I'm getting a good seal. But when I take them outside, I can hear all kinds of noise from the city, and it sounds like I'm not getting a good seal. Does that mean I'm not getting a good seal? And that there's more to these headphones than I could have ever imagined? That's why I'm thinking I need to change out my tips... I've owned quite a few earbuds, and usually these size tips I would change without even trying them on, because I know they're too big right off the bat. But somehow they fit me with this earbud.
I know your environment can change the acoustics of any headphones, but I never really used to have this problem with my Image S4. The difference between inside and outside use was very subtle.

Also to anyone that can't get these to fit right, try rotating the bud until the piece somewhat slots into ear. My wire is coming pointed a little more upwards than the pictures in this thread. I don't have particularly large ears, but they fit me just fine. And by fit, I mean actually staying in your ears. In fact, these are some of the most secure earbuds I've ever owned. It does feel a little uncomfortable at first, but I think that's just because I'm not used to wearing such a huge driver. I think those little spikes all around the outside are supposed to be mounting points to grip into your ear. That's the only reason I can think of that these stay put so well, despite being so big.

I think if the sound you are hearing in the city has lessened, then you probably have a good seal. These are not regarded as noise canceling phones.. Experiment with different sizes. Only you'll know if the seal is a good one. Little bass is a sure sign of an improper fit or if the sound is tinny. Hope I helped.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #2,826 of 4,317
Quote:
I think if the sound you are hearing in the city has lessened, then you probably have a good seal. These are not regarded as noise canceling phones.. Experiment with different sizes. Only you'll know if the seal is a good one. Little bass is a sure sign of an improper fit or if the sound is tinny. Hope I helped.

I know these aren't noise canceling, but I'm used to my Image S4 isolating a lot more sound. I'm guessing with a proper seal, these should be blocking out sound as well?
Yes, I'm going home in a few days. Still at school. So I'll have access to a whole bunch of tips. Hopefully one of these will work wonders for me. The Image S4 are almost completely out at the plug. Sound goes every time you bend the connector, which means I can't even put my phone in my pocket when on the go...

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #2,827 of 4,317
http://lifehacker.com/5960070/most-popular-earbuds-monoprice-8320-enhanced-bass-hi+fi-noise-isolating-earphones
got voted as the best IEMs on lifehacker :)

Nice.. Reading the comments from that link, seems many are complaining about the sound being tinny. Bad fit for sure. Too bad that no matter what one does, it won't fit everyone properly or one would get frustrated and not even bother trying . Getting 30% of the vote is impressive though and definitely warranted.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2,829 of 4,317
I used to have £30 Sennheiser earphones and now I have 8320s. As an unsophisticated user they seem very similar to each other though the Monoprice are FAR louder.

In the end, I guess it just comes down to features/price/value.

Despite the problems I have with putting ordinary foam ear protectors in my ears, the 8320 were no problem once I saw the Lifehacker video on Youtube.

First Song? Neil Young!

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2,830 of 4,317
For those of you who are veteran owners of these things:

Do the mids on these chill out after breaking in?  I've exchanged the tips and have a good seal.  They sound pretty nice, but the mids are piercing.  I don't mind using EQ on the laptop, but it's not convenient on the iPod because none of the stock settings help the offending frequencies.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #2,831 of 4,317

Do the mids on these chill out after breaking in?  I've exchanged the tips and have a good seal.  They sound pretty nice, but the mids are piercing.  I don't mind using EQ on the laptop, but it's not convenient on the iPod because none of the stock settings help the offending frequencies.

That's the exact issue I had. Basically do not use a tip with a narrow opening. Wider opening seems to tame that piercing.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2,832 of 4,317
Ok, so after switching around between a few tips, I've found that the bi-flange Image S4 tips work best for me. Only thing I noticed is that the bass sounds a little flat. But if I apply a little pressure with my finger to the earbud, the sound quality improves greatly. Does that mean I have to shave the earbud down a bit? I don't want to ruin the fit of the headphones....

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #2,833 of 4,317
Quote:
That's the exact issue I had. Basically do not use a tip with a narrow opening. Wider opening seems to tame that piercing.

Thanks for the info.  Basically, I was able to use the stock tip and get a good seal because my earholes aren't too big, and I guess round enough, but they were uncomfortable.  The ones I'm using now have about the same extension past the tip.  Maybe they are squishing a bit.  I'm gonna try some DIY foamies because I don't have anything laying around that work will any better.

I picked up a second pair with the order.  I've let them stay in the package for now so I can test them side-side after a while to see what the effects, if any, the break-in time had.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2,834 of 4,317

The Comply foam t-400 tips work well for if your havi g issues with this. If you EQ up the. Ass it can also siphon off some of the piercing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back