The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,761 of 4,317
Quote:
Quote:
I like the MH1C, nice, comfy. My only complaint would be the gobs of bass.

Seems like the hype train never stops. Although I have benefited from the hype with the 8320s and am thankful to DSNuts. However, I have pretty much learned whats my preferred sound signature and now I can pretty much decipher what hyped headphone will interest me. Asking a lot of questions on the type of sound and if available a FR graph can really nail it for me. I definitely do not like a V shaped frequency response. Balanced is the way to go for me.

I agree completely, in fact they will not be used all that much. But, they can be had cheap and have a mic. I wanted some cheap, decent sounding IEMs to throw on my phone. My phone has a really high output impedance, so it rolls off bass anyway The result? Out of my ipod, I can barely listen to  them, out of my phone? They're passable. They'll make and receive calls just fine, and if I don't have anything better, they're nice and relatively detailed, I can give them a listen.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #2,762 of 4,317
Gotta tell ya DSNuts i read your review of the 8320's here and decided to buy them. THANK YOU these really are unbelievable for the money. I have had my share of both cheap and expensive phones and iem's and am just beside myself with the performance of these especially for 7 DOLLARS lol. you are right on the money as it doesn't matter what i throw at them they sound great. i actually bought 3 pairs as i have 2 teenage sons that are hard on headphones and they are blown away too. i will be ordering more and am now a member here. Thanks again.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #2,763 of 4,317
Quote:
Gotta tell ya DSNuts i read your review of the 8320's here and decided to buy them. THANK YOU these really are unbelievable for the money. I have had my share of both cheap and expensive phones and iem's and am just beside myself with the performance of these especially for 7 DOLLARS lol. you are right on the money as it doesn't matter what i throw at them they sound great. i actually bought 3 pairs as i have 2 teenage sons that are hard on headphones and they are blown away too. i will be ordering more and am now a member here. Thanks again.

Welcome to Head-Fi. My sincerest apologies for the dark void in your wallet where your money used to be.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #2,764 of 4,317
Quote:
Well, so far this thread has hit "some random" Phillips (3580) and numerous OVC (monoprice) IEMs. I think the commonality is just relatively cheap IEMs. Yes, it's about the 8320, but I don't think it's particularly inappropriate to talk about other cheap IEMs.

Actually, takato14 is right. This is not the thread to discuss the Sony earbuds, unless you're commenting on how they compare to the MP8320s.
If you want to discuss cheap IEMs, there's another thread for that

I have placed an order the 8320s and they will be in on Tuesday. Interesting to see how they'll stack up to my Image S4 which has seen better days. Hopefully I can recycle the same tips, because judging by this thread and all the pictures floating around, the stock tips may not fit well

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #2,766 of 4,317
Quote:
Check out member "some1" I think he is still selling them to overseas head fiers.

Quote:
I really wish shipping to Australia wasn't about $30AUD otherwise I'd be all over these, are there any Aussie resellers? or any US shops that'll ship to Aus cheap-ly?

Yes i still have some left and can ship to australia.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #2,767 of 4,317
Quote:

No need to thank me. I was just happy to find something that didn't suck for less than $10..You enjoy these gems.  I know not everyone is a fan of these but once heard properly how can you not be..You guys gotta try using a small amp or a more powerful source on these. Just amazing. Happy listening fellas.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #2,768 of 4,317
Quote:

No need to thank me. I was just happy to find something that didn't suck for less than $10..You enjoy these gems.  I know not everyone is a fan of these but once heard properly how can you not be..You guys gotta try using a small amp or a more powerful source on these. Just amazing. Happy listening fellas.

When you filed your buds down, how did you paint them? I'm thinking I may have to do the same, considering how big they are. And how deep did you go (millimeters)? Nice littleproject over thanksgiving

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #2,769 of 4,317
I just took all the chrome metal paint off using sand paper of all things and that alone gives better comfort because the chrome paint is on there so thick. The plastic housing itself is so thick you can shave it off even more if you like. You can use non toxic model paint. Never got around to painting mines but if any of you guys used model paint before the same will apply here.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #2,770 of 4,317
I just took all the chrome metal paint off using sand paper of all things and that alone gives better comfort because the chrome paint is on there so thick. The plastic housing itself is so thick you can shave it off even more if you like. You can use non toxic model paint. Never got around to painting mines but if any of you guys used model paint before the same will apply here.

Thanks for the info. Would you mind posting up a few more shots of your buds at different angles? I want to see what I should be aiming for:)

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2,772 of 4,317
Just got these a few days ago. Nothing new to add, really. They sound great with the medium tips from my Philips SHE 3580's (which I also love--BASS!). Just wanted to thank DSNUTS for putting a spotlight on these 8320's. Has anybody anywhere done a comparison review between these and an expensive, well regarded iem? I mean a straight sound comparison without the "for the money" considerations. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #2,773 of 4,317
Well Joker rated these pretty highly for being the cheapos they are. I believe they got a 7.5 and a 9 for value. Which sounds about right but for me the sound would be more like a 7.9 and value at 10..It is an interesting read if you haven't read his post on them.
(3C21) Monoprice 8320 (MEP-933)

Reviewed Feb 2012

Details: 14.2mm dynamic-driver IEM from cable vendor Monoprice
Current Price: $7 from monoprice.com (MSRP: $7.11)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 32Ω | Sens: 96 dB | Freq: 20-20k Hz | Cable: 4' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Sony Hybrids, Meelec long single-flanges, Comply T400
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (0/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (1 size)
Build Quality (2.5/5) – Large housings containing the sizeable drivers are plastic but feel well put-together. Strain reliefs are present all around but the nylon-sheathed cord is fragile, tangle-prone, and lacks a cinch
Isolation (2.5/5) – Large, vented housings and short nozzles greatly limit isolation
Microphonics (3/5) – Annoying when worn cable-down, not much of an issue with over-the-ear wear
Comfort (2.5/5) – The plastic housings are lightweight but large, thick, and complete with sharp ridges. They seem to be designed for over-the-ear wear but don’t fit those with small/medium-sized ears well. With the cable exit point pointed forward, the cable can be worn straight down or looped over the ear. The nozzle is shallowly angled and not very long, which may make the stock tips useless for some

Sound (7.5/10) – Monoprice specializes in sourcing cheap, high quality parts and offering reasonably-priced alternatives to brand-name products. When it comes to audio quality, the MEP-933 does exactly that, rivaling far more expensive earphones in traits such as balance, detail, and clarity. The bass of the MEP-933 is punchy but far from overblown - I would even hesitate to call the earphone ‘bass-heavy’. Bass quantity is more in line with sets such as the Brainwavz Beta and MEElec CW31 than bassy IEMs like the Dunu Trident and Soundmagic E10. The low end offers good speed and resolution but doesn’t have the greatest depth. Sub-bass lacks texture and fails to portray individual notes well compared to higher-end sets, especially at lower volume levels. Partly to blame are the MEP-933’s average dynamics, which result in a mild case of ‘one-note’ bass. There is also a bit of reverb audible in the plastic housings, not unlike what I experience with Sennheiser's IE-series earphones.

The midrange of the MEP-933 is crisp and clean - not just for the asking price, but even next to high-end sets. Detail levels are good and though the bass is slightly boosted, the mids are not notably recessed considering that the presentation is distancing on the whole. Vocals are prominent, if a bit thin – those who prefer a thick or lush sound will probably be better off saving up for a Dunu Trident or Xears set. The MEP-933 is still slightly thicker than the Brainwavz Beta and lacks a bit of the detail and transparency of the latter. It is much smoother, however, especially moving up into the treble region.

The top end of the MEP-933 is low on sparkle and not very revealing, but not laid-back enough for the earphones to sound dark. Resolution is decent and the MEP-933 is smooth and reasonably well-extended – more so than many pricier earphones. There is a bit of smearing when things get fast and heavy on the cymbals but nothing to complain about with a lower-tier product. Indeed, minute issues with the bass and treble being noteworthy is a testament to how solid a performer the Monoprice is on the whole.

What’s more interesting is the earphones’ presentation. In contrast to most budget IEMs, which tend to have a congested, in-the-head presentation, the MEP-933 has a wide, airy, and open sound to it. There’s good width to the soundstage but nearly no depth or layering, resulting in poor imaging and a distinct lack of centering ability. The heightened left-right separation gives the MEP-933 a more laid-back, headphone-like feel but also means that imaging and overall positioning ability lags behind not-so-budget sets such as the Soundmagic E10 and Brainwavz M1. 

Value (9/10) – Budget IEMs typically follow a simple formula – cheap, straight-barrel housing, high-sensitivity driver, and massively enhanced bass. The Monoprice MEP-933 shrugs such convention - its gigantic shells and equally enormous 14.2mm transducers, over-the-ear fit, and balanced sound signature make for one atypical budget option. There is no doubt that you are getting much more than your money’s worth in sound quality – the MEP-933 is clear, balanced, and detailed unlike anything I’ve heard in or near its price range. Simply put, it has no business sounding as good as it does. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for user-friendliness – the ergonomics are questionable and the fabric cable is noisy and tangle-prone. Aftermarket tips are likely a necessity as well, and even then the MEP-933 simply won’t work for some users. In the end, it isn’t likely to be the end-all earphone for most, but at least it’s cheap enough to try without any regrets.

Pros: Fantastic sound quality for the price
Cons: Noisy, tangle-prone cable; large housings with sharp ridges won’t be comfortable for many

Thanks to nmxdaven and randomZash for the MEP-933!

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,775 of 4,317
@DSNUTS,

Wow, 7.9 that seems pretty high. It does seem weird that Joker would compare a 7 dollar product in a favorable light to much more expensive products and not automatically give it a "10" for value. Could you name a couple iems that you think sound better than the 8320's? I plan to get a nice pair of headphones for home use, but I likely will never spend big money on iems because they seem less reliable. I might like $150 iems more than $10 iems, but not enought to pay that extra 140 bucks every year if/when they break. I just want to get a better idea of what I am missing by going with exclusively cheapo iems vs. high end iems. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back