The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Apr 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,876 of 4,317

Have you guys thought about shaving your housing? I know this is kinda extreme and I wouldn't suggest doing such a thing for any other earphone.

Towards the middle of this thread I actually showed how to shave off excess housing to get a much more comfier fit.. Now this requires some work as you have to use sand paper to shave off much of the sharper outer housing and the thick chrome paint but it works. The comfort level goes up huge when doing this.  Plus this is an opportunity to actually customize your earphone. AS once you shave off the extra bulk the black plastic will be exposed.. Painting this with a good model paint and you got a custom looking MP 8320.. I will post pics of what I did later. But believe me if you guys want real comfort it is easy to shave off the thick plastic that house the driver... Worth it in my opinion.

I forgot to mention,. Even if you shave off just the chrome paint that is on these earphones just from that alone there is more comfort. The idea is to make the housing smaller for your canals the plastic is so thick you can continue to shave off until it fits. Plus shaving off the housing will make your nozzle a tad bit longer which these earphones need. Something to consider.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #1,878 of 4,317
Ya check out this pic. Might give you a good idea what to do for better comfort.   You can see how I shaved off the thick chrome paint off the plastic. This step alone you can feel better comfort. You can shave off much more than what I did here to get the housing even smaller. You can paint the black plastic with some model paint for a custom look if you want. But ultimately you will get better fit and sound. Worth it for sure.. Sand paper works best. I tried files. Some smaller files might work for around the nozzle area but even then I ended up using sand paper to do it..

Kick it in front of your favorite movie and start shaving..This does take a bit of time but worth it.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #1,880 of 4,317
I forgot what grit I was using but. You want one that is small or smooth and one that is fairly coarse to start taking that thick paint off with.  Any sandpaper will work. If you have some in the garage I would try it with whatever you have but a smooth grit is needed in the end to smooth out the roughness. 

You have to work in layers too. It took me a couple of hours to do this and I would expect the length time of a good movie.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,881 of 4,317
hmm... i'll see what i've got. i just used the sand paper that i knew i had for a bow that i made for my dad(didn't work very well but it was a first attempt) i need to do some rumaging lol. or i may just go buy some lols. does the extra length make a difference in the sound?

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,882 of 4,317
You can get a better idea of how you can extend the nozzle..I didn't shave off too much around the nozzle but you can and this will extend the nozzle a bit. The plastic is very thick so how much to shave will be up to you.. Oh by the way you might want to clog that little hole with candle wax or something like that so you don't get shavings in that..Well actually if you just shave stuff off the shavings will plug that hole. I had to take a vacuum and a pair of sharp tweezers to clean that hole.. I would work on the housing and that is the most important part of the comfort factor and as long as you can get the entire housing into your ear canal these are not gonna sound right.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,886 of 4,317
Are these phones too large for an average 15 yr old boy?

Hard question to answer buddy! Average is a word that is hard to distinguish. I'm 16 and Tey fit fine but my mate who also is in to earphones struggles to fit them at all! For the price if your in the US you might ands well give them a go!

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,889 of 4,317
haha the NEW (only?) IEM to mod :D!

There are plenty of iem mods! Check what some people have done to SM3s then theirs mids were people have added shure pin connectors to make the iem have removable cables :p
But yeh definitely a modifiable earphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back