The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Jan 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #1,306 of 4,317
"If you like neutrality, then they(MP8320) are vastly better than an unequalized Philips SHE3580, which has an extreme v-shaped frequency response. I detect at least two peaks on the 8320, one around 6800 Hz and the other around 9500 Hz--likely the result of ear canal resonance. Everybody's ears are different, so for you the resonant frequencies might be different. The peaks are narrower and lower in level than the ones on the SHE3580, so they're not as noticeable. I hear a wide dip around 300Hz, but the level is low enough that I don't have to correct it. The bass is also much, much closer to neutrality than the +18 dB boost on the Philips that I don't feel that I need to EQ it much, if at all.

I can enjoy listening to these without EQ. If you get them, I hope the ear canal resonances will not be at frequencies that emphasize sibilance (ssss, sh, ch). A carefully EQ'ed 3580 is better, though. I much prefer it to unequalized RE0 with stock tips, ER4S, and SE530." - Yuriv
Yuriv took the time to do some testing for us on these, and if you have any farther questions, contact him.

As for me, these are actually amazing in every possible way, literally. If you decide you want a different sound signature, then just EQ them to your preferences since they are neutral. The amazement came after 4-5 hours of burn-in not because of the EQ, but because the clarity is just phenomenal, better than any IEM I have ever heard around or close to its price range.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #1,307 of 4,317
I was going thru my "junk drawer" this morning & found my pair of SoundMagic PL30s. Thought I'd give them a listen, as it had been a while. Tried on a set of the JBLabs dual flange just for grins. They sounded pretty good to me, from not hearing them in years. Then I switched back to the 8320s...are you effin' KIDDING ME? They sounded SO much better, more clarity, better soundstaging, clean mids, than the PL30.
I mean it was night & day. I still prefer the 8320s using the large Philips stock set that came with the SHE35802

Not too shabby for $7 & change...
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #1,310 of 4,317

Quote:
"If you like neutrality, then they(MP8320) are vastly better than an unequalized Philips SHE3580, which has an extreme v-shaped frequency response. I detect at least two peaks on the 8320, one around 6800 Hz and the other around 9500 Hz--likely the result of ear canal resonance. Everybody's ears are different, so for you the resonant frequencies might be different. The peaks are narrower and lower in level than the ones on the SHE3580, so they're not as noticeable. I hear a wide dip around 300Hz, but the level is low enough that I don't have to correct it. The bass is also much, much closer to neutrality than the +18 dB boost on the Philips that I don't feel that I need to EQ it much, if at all.

I can enjoy listening to these without EQ. If you get them, I hope the ear canal resonances will not be at frequencies that emphasize sibilance (ssss, sh, ch). A carefully EQ'ed 3580 is better, though. I much prefer it to unequalized RE0 with stock tips, ER4S, and SE530." - Yuriv
Yuriv took the time to do some testing for us on these, and if you have any farther questions, contact him.

As for me, these are actually amazing in every possible way, literally. If you decide you want a different sound signature, then just EQ them to your preferences since they are neutral. The amazement came after 4-5 hours of burn-in not because of the EQ, but because the clarity is just phenomenal, better than any IEM I have ever heard around or close to its price range.

I see you have a Titanium HD. These phones on the Titanium is astounding imo..It is what I use as well...Glad you guys are enjoying the cheapo iem that can..

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #1,311 of 4,317
Actually, I'm not hooking the earphones up to the Titanium HD. For 1, the cable is less than 4 feet and wont reach behind my computer, and 2nd, my M50 are plugged into there. Sucks that you can't have multiple headphones plugged in at the same time. Also sucks that you can't really get an option to change between speakers and headphones unless you unplug the headphones.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,312 of 4,317
I have way too many headphones and earphones not to have one. Plus they are essential for A/B testing. Highly recommend. I think Monoprice has these for real cheap. Just the hub and you can just get a male to male extension and plug your headsets away. 

Ya I know there are some real lameness to the Titanium HD. But I do love how they sound. But I game a lot too so that comes in handy for gaming sound.. The best actually.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #1,314 of 4,317
The more headphone you have connected it takes more volume to push the headphones but SQ is the same and I found that the Titanium HD has enough power to push multiple headphones with no issue with same SQ you just have to turn up the volume a bit. I am surprised you haven't tried one of these. They work great actually. Anyone that own multiple headphones/ earphones. This is a simple but fantastic tool to use for A/Bing or in my case. I burn 5 earphones at a time using it.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,317 of 4,317

Quote:
Gotta love cheap good sounding earphones. More value for the bucks. Let us know how you like em once you get em..

Will do! I wll do a 50 hour burn in each first. And test with MAcbook Pro straight out, straight ipod out, and using the E17 with ipod. and then using the E17 with Wolfson WM8740 and with the dual op amps through Fiber Toslink @ 24/192 :D 
215mW @ 32 Ohms from the e17...let's hope i odn't blow these out accidently at first :D
Not the best the 8320's have been in :D but hey why not :D another testing ear :D

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #1,318 of 4,317
Can't say for the soundmagic as I only have the PL30s but I will tell you the MP8320 from a powered source are dumb. They will surprise you. They respond to amping like no other iem I have. They sound great off your portable but when amped.. Lets just say it will be smile inducing if not just flat out mind blowing.. .

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #1,319 of 4,317

Quote:
Can't say for the soundmagic as I only have the PL30s but I will tell you the MP8320 from a powered source are dumb. They will surprise you. They respond to amping like no other iem I have. They sound great off your portable but when amped.. Lets just say it will be smile inducing if not just flat out mind blowing.. .

The E17 allowed me to bundle the Soundmagic P20's but the reviews were meh.the were bundalable for only $5...which kinda tells you something is wrong (not seling probs >_< ) the fit has problems with sound so i got the Pl11 and 8320's instead :D i will use this in classes :D espeically during study periods :D. i guess the E17 is coming with me to classes from now on :D >_< 
L3000.gif

Will see which one i prefer. 8320 vs PL11 on a highly regarded portable amp from reviews :D. add in an L9 LOD as well :D

oo and pre congrats :D 50 more posts and you get supremus. i won't be there to congratualte you so i thought i should just do it now :D. ocngrats man. i have been and read much of this thread before and now E17 gave me an oppuritunity to get the 8320;. ur consistent posts were great. thanks for the input and answers :D

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #1,320 of 4,317
Hey thank you. I have to admit getting to 1500 posts take some work. I think the success of my threads helped out quite a bit. To me though that don't mean much. I have made many a friends here at headfi and learned tremendously about the people and all the equipment that is associated with these threads. That is the true pay off for me... This is a fantastic community and one that I have discovered falls in line with who I am. For the many that ended up trying out something new even though these are no where near traditional equipment that is shown on these threads I applaud them and you for throwing out any common sense to just try out a cheapo..

Sometimes you gotta think outside the box and just give it a go..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back