The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Sep 27, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #4,291 of 4,317
I tried the 8320s after years for a deep analysis. While I do appreciate the details and neutralish SS I either just can't get a good seal (well they're definitely not comfortable) or they lack completely bass. Like close to zero. I tried various tips but the changes are minimal. Do they sound so flat in general or it's a seal problem?

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #4,293 of 4,317
Sounds like a seal problem. If they arent comfy for you as the housing is kinda round and not so ergonomic I would pass on these. Comfort is huge for sound.

Not sure what I can do to improve it, if possible. To me fiscally they seem to have the seal I got for every single IEM but the sound seems like they're not sealed. Probably they just sound like this.

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #4,294 of 4,317
There is a reason why these earphones were sold out for numerous batches at monoprice when these were first discovered. They don't sound tinny or without bass like you descibe at all. These are cheap but the sound was not.

Try different tips as well. That might help.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #4,295 of 4,317
There is a reason why these earphones were sold out for numerous batches at monoprice when these were first discovered. They don't sound tinny or without bass like you descibe at all. These are cheap but the sound was not.

Try different tips as well. That might help.
Tried them again, the bass is there but pretty weak. So they're actually with plenty of bass?

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #4,296 of 4,317
If your used to bass heavy earphones then listen to these they might not have that slam that your used to but it is the case of getting used to a signature. I don't ever recall anyone saying these are bass light. They aren't bass heavy but not light.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,297 of 4,317
If your used to bass heavy earphones then listen to these they might not have that slam that your used to but it is the case of getting used to a signature. I don't ever recall anyone saying these are bass light. They aren't bass heavy but not light.
I'm used to sony MH1C and philips 3580 to name a few, actually i read of reviews in the dedicated page here about the bass being light.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/monoprice-8320-iem.13688/reviews

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #4,299 of 4,317
After months of using Urbanfuns, Havis and some KZs I got my MP 8320s out of the drawer and was - again - pleasantly surprised. They sound so excellent it's impossible to describe how great their value is. Not that at any moment I disagreed with their quality, but they keep surprising me again and again (owning them since 2012 or so). If you havent got a set, get some a.s.a.p. really. Youre missing something.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #4,300 of 4,317
Hey everyone, thought I'd add this post.

After a move (and a heck of an adventure in the Rockies for four years) I got my Delta 66 sound card working on my older Windows music machine. I bought the sound card in 2000 for around $350, and I've found the converters still sound great, and it adds a lot of punch and clarity to my headphones.

Well, I decided to do a side by side with my $8 Monoprice 109927 earbuds (Amazon) and my AKG 240's, and Seinheiser 201's.

I'm shocked at the results.

The $8 earbuds have better neutrality, yet are also more engaging and clear than both the AKG's and the Seinheisers (I paid $100 for the AKG's back in 2008).

Apparently sometimes you don't get what you pay for. On my Android and on my iPod, the Monoprice don't seem to have such a big gap (but still sound superior). But on the Detla 66, it's stunningly obvious. Very impressed.

Can anyone tell me if the 109396 Monoprice earbuds on Amazon are the same sound quality as these 109927? Thanks.

BTW, I'm using the stock tips on the Monoprice's.

I know it's weird to compare earbuds to over ears, but I wanted to add to the positivity of this thread.

My AKG's are now in my closet.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #4,301 of 4,317
I'm saddened that Monoprice now only sells the black variant (9927) and have discontinued all others. :frowning2: The white (9963) and pink (9960) variants in particular had more comfortable stock tips and a rubberized cord that considerably reduced both microphonics as well as tangling.

Can anyone tell me if the 109396 Monoprice earbuds on Amazon are the same sound quality as these 109927

While I do not own a pair of the 9396, I believe it has been stated that they are in fact worse quality, but don't quote me on this.

Interestingly though, I've discovered that Monoprice now has a second newer pair of IEMs that they advertise as "Enhanced Bass Noise Isolating" (though the 9927's also say "Hi-Fi" in their product name). At first I thought maybe it was an updated revision, but the specs seem different enough to make me believe otherwise (particularly the driver size being 4.2mm smaller on the newer IEMs):

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10153

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B00DIGD3TS

If the user reviews are to be believed, much like the 8320/9927/9960/9963, the audio quality of the 10153 is more comparable to what you'd expect from an IEM that costs 5x to 10x the amount. However, it seems like durability may be considerably worse (the housing of the 8320/9927/9960/9963 could take quite the beating!).

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #4,304 of 4,317
The cord on my white 9963s still get tangled more easily than most other rubberized cord since it has a more tacky texture, but it definitely is still less than the black 9927s.

However, the good news is that enough time has passed since the introduction of the 8320 that there are some other great quality budget IEM options available nowadays (though the cheapest IEMs on TheHeadphoneList.com's buying guides is still $40).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #4,305 of 4,317
Thanks.

Okay, well it looks like a found a weakness. This is my second pair of 9927's that has broken at the jack tension area (loss of sound in left channel caused by movement at the jack plug). Would anyone mind offering modding tips to beef this area up for my next pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back