The MODDED Sennheiser HD 580 appreciation thread.
Mar 25, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_dong146 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely let me know what you think doping panda

Looking at the cost of the mod + shipping (by my tally ~$40) -> and it seems the HD 580 gets awfully close to the price of a HD 600 at that point (falling just under that $200 barrier, having seen and had chances at a few HD 600s going at about $210-$220).

Thoughts?

Sorry, but it'll be at least a week before I can let you how I feel about the cable. I ordered it the Monday before last Monday, but it still didn't arrive by last Friday. I'm home again for the week because of break so even if it does get there I won't be able to use it until I come back.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #32 of 72
So I got the HD 600 grills and defoamed them like the "How to" on Apuresound's website. They sound airy I guess? Seem to breathe a little easier to me. A touch clearer. Sounds good with a Kimber Kable I made for them.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_dong146 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, sorry to bump this again.

Finalized HD 580 purchase - so of course the next step is the mods.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but upon purchasing the HD 650 cable Sennheiser USA - H-92885 - Product Details, I'm also going to need to buy an adaptor - ala Sennheiser USA - 92595 - Product Details

Finally - HD 600 grilles, 2x part # 092815

Pleased to see you pulled the trigger..small cost (investment) for a keeper set of cans - let us know how your mods go and your impressions.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #34 of 72
The ancient HD580 mentioned in my sig now has HD650 drivers, thanks to inspiration from Linuxworks' post. Take a look at the part of the headband that says "HD580 Precision". Ancient
biggrin.gif

I have another little HD580 project that is currently on the backburner. Once I get around to ordering a headband and grills though, it'll be a complete headphone: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/gradoheiser-417231/

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ancient HD580 mentioned in my sig now has HD650 drivers, thanks to inspiration from Linuxworks' post. Take a look at the part of the headband that says "HD580 Precision". Ancient
biggrin.gif

I have another little HD580 project that is currently on the backburner. Once I get around to ordering a headband and grills though, it'll be a complete headphone: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/gradoheiser-417231/

I really like that grado/senn, What drivers are you using in it?

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 30, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #37 of 72
interesting idea on custom wood grills would like to see that!

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #38 of 72
Sorry to bump this, but I'm looking for the HD600 grills for my HD580s. I called Senn USA and the guy said $11.40 each and $6.50 for shipping. A bit more than what I was expecting. Is there anywhere else I can find these? Thanks

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #39 of 72
Sennheiser is the cheapest. Ebay they are about 19.00 bux or so each.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #40 of 72
I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of HD 580s from my local boot fair pretty cheaply - primarily because all of the foam had perished away.

I realise that new parts can be had and I'll probably go that route however I don't really like the look of the stock headband pads so tried to come up with something improvised. A short time later, a strip of plastic from a folder and some leftover sound deadening material and voilà.

Wondered what you connoisseurs thought? Quite comfortable to my head - is it likely to harm the sonics THAT much?

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #42 of 72
That's it i'm sick of you people saying good stuff about these phones. I'm gonna hunt for a pair, expect a what I did to mine post before december.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #43 of 72
I've had my Senn 580's for close to 3.5 years. I've been very happy with them. There is one mod that I would highly recommend to you all that I never see mentioned here. It won't make them sound any better but will save you some money down the road.

You see after having them all this time, mine finally got cracked plastic on the top headband. Luckily it was a small crack and didn't crack all the way through like others I've read about. So, I simply took off the foam pads, and glued a strong piece of plastic to the headband on the inside. This reinforces that area and now the crack isn't even noticeable. The headphones still look completely stock since the mod was done on the inside.

If your plastic headband ever breaks, Sennheiser wants you to buy a $75 replacement from them....ridiculous price for a piece of plastic. So I highly recommend you just reinforce them yourself and be done with it. Just be careful with the length of the plastic piece you use to reinforce with. Make sure you can still adjust the headphones to your head size.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #45 of 72
Such a tried and true classic
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back