The Mod Collective: Bring all your full sized headphone mods here.
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #286 of 521
@Cruelhand Luke

Good job keeping this thread's heart beating on Valentines Day.

I think I will be DIY'ing something soon as well, maybe not hardcore level, but still,

in my heart I feel the endgame has to be made by self lmao. Ofc with top notch expensive components and shells :D

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #287 of 521
3d print fostex whit some tweak 20190214_205436.jpg 20190214_205554.jpg 20190214_205339.jpg 20190214_205411.jpg

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #288 of 521
@Cruelhand Luke

Good job keeping this thread's heart beating on Valentines Day.

I think I will be DIY'ing something soon as well, maybe not hardcore level, but still,

in my heart I feel the endgame has to be made by self lmao. Ofc with top notch expensive components and shells :D

Thanks. I started this thread because I wanted there to be a place where people can come and get ideas to mod any of their headphones, not just a specific model. It always struck me when I would read about some mod on a headphone I didn't own and I would think, hunh, I bet that would work on MY XYZ headphones...but there wasn't necessarily a thread about my headphones being modded that way. I wanted this to be a place where people could pick up ideas on mods in general, not just about a particular headphone. I'd love it if people would just copy paste their mods here as well ...I post all my mods in the thread specific to the particular headphone, if there is one, and then I post it here as well.

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #289 of 521
Thanks. I started this thread because I wanted there to be a place where people can come and get ideas to mod any of their headphones, not just a specific model. It always struck me when I would read about some mod on a headphone I didn't own and I would think, hunh, I bet that would work on MY XYZ headphones...but there wasn't necessarily a thread about my headphones being modded that way. I wanted this to be a place where people could pick up ideas on mods in general, not just about a particular headphone. I'd love it if people would just copy paste their mods here as well ...I post all my mods in the thread specific to the particular headphone, if there is one, and then I post it here as well.

Yeah tonnes of valuable information and inspiration found on here. But also dangerous as the itch starts, and only way to cure is to do electronic surgery.

And so many have taken risks with such high price components, so I gotta respect the guts to get into the nitty gritty

but no risk no reward,

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #290 of 521
Yeah tonnes of valuable information and inspiration found on here. But also dangerous as the itch starts, and only way to cure is to do electronic surgery.

And so many have taken risks with such high price components, so I gotta respect the guts to get into the nitty gritty

but no risk no reward,
That's another function of this thread I was hoping to achieve: demystification.
If you have seen someone else tear open their stuff and make changes and then put it back together without disaster, it feel safer to do the same yourself. I read an INSANE amount of info in a Grado thread before I even got a set...when I finally got mine I was able to confidently get into them the same day I got them, because I had already seen the disasters and triumphs of other people.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #291 of 521

Yeah I need to do that. I have soooo many mods. I just need to find them all and paste them in.

Like you said, most mods can be replicated on other headphones. Most of the mods I’ve done to headphone X, I asked myself ‘I wonder if this could be done to headphone Y’. And it turns out it could. Sure, the method has to be tweaked, different hurdles have to be jumped. But the basic ideas are the same.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #292 of 521
Yeah I need to do that. I have soooo many mods. I just need to find them all and paste them in.

Like you said, most mods can be replicated on other headphones. Most of the mods I’ve done to headphone X, I asked myself ‘I wonder if this could be done to headphone Y’. And it turns out it could. Sure, the method has to be tweaked, different hurdles have to be jumped. But the basic ideas are the same.
The other benefit to parking things here (besides the inspiration you can give a lot of other people around here) is that it's so much easier to find stuff that you KNOW you posted someplace....the search function seemed to get much worse after they re-vamped the site (and don't even get me started on losing the feature where all of the pictures within a thread were collated over there on the right side of the page, MAN I miss that feature)
Instead of going, "I think I posted that in the ____ mods thread" I just come here to find any mods I have posted and search within this thread. It really narrows things down.

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #293 of 521
That video you posted shows the method nicely! You have to be super careful with the knife though. One accidental slip and you’re going to the ER to get stitches.

Also, great point on the heat! Getting the glue warm will definitely help by softening it up. You just gotta be real careful. It’s a fine line between getting warm and overheating (to where you are melting plastic and risking damage to the driver).

I would personally use a hair dryer on low. That’s pretty hard to screw up.

I will also mention that I do not have experience with these Grado models. I have never heard of a headphone that had drivers that needed to be hammered out with a hammer. With that said, I don’t see why my method wouldn’t work on it though.

Most drivers I have experience with are glued in. There’s a paper thin gap between the driver itself and the headphone baffle. This is where the glue will be, and where the Xacto knife will work it’s magic.

In the past I’ve also used a wood burning tool on some particularly evil and stubborn glue.

Most of the wood burning tools have interchangeable tips, and 1 of the tips is an Xacto blade tip (also known as a hot knife). My wood burning tool also has an adjustable temperature control. So I can set the heat to be just enough to cut through the glue, but not so hot it cuts through the plastic. You still have to use the up and down ‘sawing’ method I spoke of previously. And you still have to be careful not to snap the Xacto blade.

The big advantage of the hot knife method, is it takes care of the heat part at the same time.

This video does a good job of showing/explaining it:

Hi Slater! I've tried the x-acto knife and hair dryer method and have partially given up, as im beginning to realize that im chipping of parts of the driver/housing instead of the glue while doing it. I'm just gonna make the assumption that the glue used in my pair of sr80's have hardened up due to age (it's an original pair of sr80's so it has to be 12+ years old). Im now looking for a way to apply rubbing alcohol into the gaps to dissolve the glue, without it flowing out and into the driver membrane. I'm gonna try to look for an eyedropper to do this safely. The hot knife method looks like it'd work really well, but step 1 is to get a heat knife. I'll see if my university would allow me to use some of their tools in their workshops.

I also already have a pair of sennheiser px100-ii drivers, so i just might as well purchase a pair of cups that would not need a driver housing to work.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #294 of 521
I bought a V-Moda Crossfade LP (first version) with rather worn earpads out of curiosity.

3412bf94d33387f75ff1509b50754df0_big.jpg

I tried them on and they sounded exactly as expected based on reviews: overblown bass, quite muddy, recessed mids, rolled off highs.

So I decided to remove the pleather from earpads, since it was crumbling anyway. Took me about 30 minutes of work with packing tape and dry sponge. The result: not only the headphones are now more comfy and I don't get pleather pieces on my face when wearing them, the sound improved significantly. They are still bassy, but bass is less muddy, mids and highs are much better. Highs might actually be a bit too hot, I might try some tricks to temper them slightly (and that's from a Beyerdynamic DT990 user). So If you have V-moda LPs with worn pads, I definitely recommend trying that.

cbfbda82e0a18eda47c31fe13bbb99da_big.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #297 of 521
That's another function of this thread I was hoping to achieve: demystification.
If you have seen someone else tear open their stuff and make changes and then put it back together without disaster, it feel safer to do the same yourself. I read an INSANE amount of info in a Grado thread before I even got a set...when I finally got mine I was able to confidently get into them the same day I got them, because I had already seen the disasters and triumphs of other people.

Don't forget the pioneers who also thought ahead of their time. It is interesting to see their open Bio mods before the Big Chiefs did their thang.

modders.jpg

giphy.gif

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #298 of 521
Don't forget the pioneers who also thought ahead of their time. It is interesting to see their open Bio mods before the Big Chiefs did their thang.

giphy.gif
I want that Klipsch headband on my M565 so much. It would look awesome, but somehow I doubt I am going to come across a "deal" on that headband.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #299 of 521
I want that Klipsch headband on my M565 so much. It would look awesome, but somehow I doubt I am going to come across a "deal" on that headband.

Haha yep, expensive components.

I am looking for th500rp cups for my th610 to make them open

and sort of tempted to try a mdr-f1 and try different drivers. My only concern is the can is single sided cable, and drilling into magnesium probably isn't so easy !

After hearing a k1k, the openness factor is big on me. Something like a mdr-f1 with t1 quality drivers mmmm, sr007 pads, and SR1 headband...mmmm head-fi dream'n..

giphy.gif

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #300 of 521

giphy.gif

I’d love to try out every one of those sexy beasts!

BTW, magnesium is easy to drill into. It’s quite soft and light. Very similar to aluminum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back