The Mod Collective: Bring all your full sized headphone mods here.
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #301 of 521
I’d love to try out every one of those sexy beasts!

BTW, magnesium is easy to drill into. It’s quite soft and light. Very similar to aluminum.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooK your word is good enough for me!
Just bit the bullet on one, let''s hope it arrives safely from Japan :D

mdr-f1.jpg

Either I'm gonna fill the hole, or drill a hole

I got some 007 pads coming in (part of my valentines gift :D) so that will be my first mod, then headband, then..... drivers :D

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #303 of 521
Wow, that looks really cool! Interesting design. Be sure to let us know how you like it!

Actually I tried them once before at an audio show, at a Kimber Cable Booth. The representative told me he was gifted it by Mr. Kimber himself.
He let me try them, and I said it was the "highlight of the night" and it really was.

It is not to my liking stock sound, ; in saying that it is most open sounding big soundstage, but hopefully the audio Gods help me in my quest for poor man AKG K1K'esque quest :D

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #304 of 521
Actually I tried them once before at an audio show, at a Kimber Cable Booth. The representative told me he was gifted it by Mr. Kimber himself.
He let me try them, and I said it was the "highlight of the night" and it really was.

It is not to my liking stock sound, ; in saying that it is most open sounding big soundstage, but hopefully the audio Gods help me in my quest for poor man AKG K1K'esque quest :D
All of those floating 'ear speaker' designs are interesting...but, aren't they all inherently lacking in that sub-bass oomph?

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #305 of 521
All of those floating 'ear speaker' designs are interesting...but, aren't they all inherently lacking in that sub-bass oomph?

Oh definitely. There’s no seal at all, so lots of low end energy is lost. I imagine it’s similar to how an earbud has a light airy open sound, but at the expense of low end thump.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #306 of 521

Oh yes that is a big problem ( I would think 60hz and below is absent), but lets not forget the K1K nutters who hooked up fast likkle subs to their setup. Something about that always makes me chuckle, but its kinda cool too.

But simple vocal and acoustic is heavenly in such openness.

One thing to consider is how the sound is very wide and 3D, moreso because the sound which escapes one ear travels around the head to the other. Very speaker like.

The stock pads the ear touches lightly, but I am hoping with thicker pads i will have a mm or two gap with no contact.

Finding a driver will probably take a while but i guess thats the fun bit?!?!

I purged most of my collection hoping to do a Sigma mod, but that will have to wait now. I am very sad about that, but that's life! Could have just got a Focal Clear and been done with it, but my heart says DIY new paths of audio glory.

giphy.gif

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #307 of 521
Hey guys, quick question to all the modding gurus here.

I want to further tinker with my MSR7. Among the things I want to try is adding something that can block some of the reflections in the cup, hoping to squeeze a bit more detail out of them without resulting into treble murder. The first thing that came to mind is dynamat, but for some reason it's not so easy to find where I live and wherever it's available, it's expensive af. So I though that maybe bluetack might do the trick. Thing is, I don't know how I should apply it to do the thing I want it to do. Do I have to cover the whole thing with it? Just some parts? Just the back of the driver?

Any input is appreciated!

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #308 of 521
Hey guys, quick question to all the modding gurus here.

I want to further tinker with my MSR7. Among the things I want to try is adding something that can block some of the reflections in the cup, hoping to squeeze a bit more detail out of them without resulting into treble murder. The first thing that came to mind is dynamat, but for some reason it's not so easy to find where I live and wherever it's available, it's expensive af. So I though that maybe bluetack might do the trick. Thing is, I don't know how I should apply it to do the thing I want it to do. Do I have to cover the whole thing with it? Just some parts? Just the back of the driver?

Any input is appreciated!

Dynamat won't do magic, except help a little with plastic cub vibrations. You can add a little circle of it if OCD, but some of the Japanese modders play with some sort of glass fiber / mineral fiber behind driver in such designs

sony-mdr-cd900st-modify-2016-015.jpg
sony-mdr-cd900st-modify-2016-018.jpg

When I modded the dt770 dynamat did wonders on its plastic cups, and plastic ABS housing.

Anyway you can probably find at local hardware store or look for the ones that sell with 900st from Japan. You would need to do little legwork though.

Dampening vibrations of cup and tuning FR with filling is two different things IMO. Cotton, paper fibers, Foam front end dampening etc.

IMO YMMV :p

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #309 of 521
Dynamat won't do magic, except help a little with plastic cub vibrations. You can add a little circle of it if OCD, but some of the Japanese modders play with some sort of glass fiber / mineral fiber behind driver in such designs

When I modded the dt770 dynamat did wonders on its plastic cups, and plastic ABS housing.

Anyway you can probably find at local hardware store or look for the ones that sell with 900st from Japan. You would need to do little legwork though.

Dampening vibrations of cup and tuning FR with filling is two different things IMO. Cotton, paper fibers, Foam front end dampening etc.

IMO YMMV :p
Hey man, thanks for the insight!

Well, I should probably have chosen my words better. The "problem" with the MSR7 is that, while it's crystal clear at lower volumes (highs are perfect until a certain point on the volume pot), if I push the volume to gain more oomph it starts to get a bit noisy in the treble/high mids. It's not distortion that I'm hearing, I'm quite sure it's reflections from inside the cup or something like that (I get the same thing on my HD58x if I push the volume and put my palms on the back of the headphones, albeit to a lesser extent). That's what I'm after, not tuning the FR. That I know how to do, and it's going to be my solution if I can't solve this the way I think I want to do it. I don't even know if I'm making any sense at this point. :p

If it comes down to any manner of dampening to tune the FR to be more high volume friendly, I'm covered. @ModiHiFi over at the MSR7 owners' thread has done an excellent job of testing different materials both in the front and the back of the driver, much more than I've been able to do.

So, it seems that if I can find some dynamat on the cheaper end locally, I could give it a try, but not expecting wonders, got that. Thanks for probably saving me like 40€. :)

Anyone here use bluetack or something like it in a similar manner?

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #310 of 521
Hey man, thanks for the insight!

Well, I should probably have chosen my words better. The "problem" with the MSR7 is that, while it's crystal clear at lower volumes (highs are perfect until a certain point on the volume pot), if I push the volume to gain more oomph it starts to get a bit noisy in the treble/high mids. It's not distortion that I'm hearing, I'm quite sure it's reflections from inside the cup or something like that (I get the same thing on my HD58x if I push the volume and put my palms on the back of the headphones, albeit to a lesser extent). That's what I'm after, not tuning the FR. That I know how to do, and it's going to be my solution if I can't solve this the way I think I want to do it. I don't even know if I'm making any sense at this point. :p

If it comes down to any manner of dampening to tune the FR to be more high volume friendly, I'm covered. @ModiHiFi over at the MSR7 owners' thread has done an excellent job of testing different materials both in the front and the back of the driver, much more than I've been able to do.
So, it seems that if I can find some dynamat on the cheaper end locally, I could give it a try, but not expecting wonders, got that. Thanks for probably saving me like 40€. :)

Anyone here use bluetack or something like it in a similar manner?
I recently just used some bluetack in place of dynamat with good results. Another headifer had done a mod on their M565 using dynamat, but I
didn't have access to dynamt and didn't want to order up $30 worth of a material, and then have it not work, so I hit up the Dollar Store and tried it out, and it worked. I got the same results that the other poster had reported...
Obviously it's a whole different headphone, but my point is, maybe get some cheap bluetack and try it out and see if something happens.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #311 of 521
I recently just used some bluetack in place of dynamat with good results. Another headifer had done a mod on their M565 using dynamat, but I
didn't have access to dynamt and didn't want to order up $30 worth of a material, and then have it not work, so I hit up the Dollar Store and tried it out, and it worked. I got the same results that the other poster had reported...
Obviously it's a whole different headphone, but my point is, maybe get some cheap bluetack and try it out and see if something happens.

Wait, they sell generic BlueTac at dollar stores? What’s it called, or in what section of the store is it sold (ie cleaning products, automotive, tools)?

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #312 of 521
Wait, they sell generic BlueTac at dollar stores? What’s it called, or in what section of the store is it sold (ie cleaning products, automotive, tools)?
Office supplies...I took a picture of the package, I'll find it and post it for you

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #313 of 521
dang, I think I deleted it...it's in the office/school supplies section at Dollar General

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #315 of 521
Cool, thanks!
No problem.
I actually didn't realize I had bought the same stuff people were referencing when they were talking about damping using bluetack because it's just this generic stuff that I picked up, a less rubbery silly putty. I got it on a whim and thought, "hunh, maybe this stuff will work for damping" I tried it and it didn't seem to help the headphones I was working on and I just stuck it in a drawer and wrote it off....then I was modding my M565 and another Headfier suggested bluetack, so I looked it up to see if they had it at Home Depot and I saw the package and I was like, "hang on! That looks exactly like that blue gunk I got from the Dollar General!"....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back