The Mod Collective: Bring all your full sized headphone mods here.
Oct 8, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #211 of 521
Yours looks like the dt770 edition, which is rare as heck

10180619.jpg

I guess one could make a dt660 edition as well

They kind of do. If I had a spare DT880 or DT990 Edition headband, it would look even more similar, but fortunately I was able to fix the Editions with issues that I bought.
I must say though that DT660 is my least favorite full size Beyer, it's not bad, but I like it less than DT860, any version of DT770, DT880 or DT990 and the older DT911 and DT531. Could be because the 5kHz peak is stronger compared to in other models and not offset by elevated bass.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #212 of 521
Awesome work man. The dt660 with that headband looks amazing. And i bet more comfy. I am still with the old ultrasone headband, so that is defo a future mod for me. I am still tinkering with my dt 48/ pro headband. This is revision 2. But its defo not plug and play, and a major headache. I think dt480 is an easier path for dt48 lovers.

Beyer tinkering is fun indeed. :D

Speaking of the DT 480, have you done anything new to your pair?

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #213 of 521
so if you were to put even bigger pads on, would that make the sound stage wider?

It usually doesn’t really work that way.

It is on a case by case basis, and a lot of it depends on how close or far away the driver moves from your ear.

I’ve had cases where deeper pads makes a can sound like crap (but thinner pads make it better), and I’ve had cases were it’s exactly the opposite.

Modding is part science, part art, and part luck. That’s about the way to sum it up.

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #214 of 521

It is on a case by case basis, and a lot of it depends on how close or far away the driver moves from your ear.

I’ve had cases where deeper pads makes a can sound like crap (but thinner pads make it better), and I’ve had cases were it’s exactly the opposite.

Modding is part science, part art, and part luck. That’s about the way to sum it up.
yea i think z reviews said the same. i was asking him bc i have ws1100is so maybe its a similar experience.

i got a good deal on it at $129 but im thinking i shouldve got t50 argon for wider soundstage instead.

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #215 of 521
Speaking of the DT 480, have you done anything new to your pair?

Not recently no. For the 200ohm version just the dynamat, sorbothane, dt150 pads and cable. I managed to pick up a 25 ohm version as well and just switched to dt150 cable and dt100 velour pads. Also just stock 200 ohm backup as well with dt150 cable/pads.
I like the 480 more than 48A overall for music listening, but the 48A is most detailed/accurate.

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #216 of 521

Beautifully said Slater.

Well, the MSR7 stock are like that. Put big pads on them and they're trash. But with a bit of love and a screwdriver, they can sing.

yea i think z reviews said the same. i was asking him bc i have ws1100is so maybe its a similar experience.

i got a good deal on it at $129 but im thinking i shouldve got t50 argon for wider soundstage instead.

Well, the pads on the WS1100is are great by themselves. Dunno if I'd change them. But it won't hurt to try, for sure. If you can get a pair of HM5s, go for it!

Also, if you're comfortable taking them apart, please do take some photos and post them here so we can have a point of reference for those. Also, someone here may want to have some input on what you can do with them. I for one hope they are similar to the MSR7 on the inside, as the MSR7 are very similar to the M50x and M40x. If so, you can do the same felt removal mod and see what results you get. Maybe also damping the back. The WS1100is use a 53mm driver, so they may be able to produce some serious bass if modded/powered properly. Not in quantity, mind you, but more on impact and authority of the bass.

As someone who is really considering getting a pair later on to keep company to my MSR7 as a portable can, I'd really appreciate it if you took the plunge and took them apart!

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #217 of 521
Not recently no. For the 200ohm version just the dynamat, sorbothane, dt150 pads and cable. I managed to pick up a 25 ohm version as well and just switched to dt150 cable and dt100 velour pads. Also just stock 200 ohm backup as well with dt150 cable/pads.
I like the 480 more than 48A overall for music listening, but the 48A is most detailed/accurate.

Ah I understand. I got ahold of a second 25 Ohm in basically perfect condition, it's my main DT 480, just using sorbothane inside the earcups, and some paper tape, felt with a hole cut for the drivers, and brainwavz sheepskin angled pads with some ventilation cut on the underside. Also a DT 150 cable. I'm very happy with where the headphone is. I also got a black edition T1.2, turned out my original T1.2 was a subpar pair, this one is without question better than my Amiron Home.

Don't want to open up the DT 480 - 25 Ohm right now, but this picture of the 8 Ohm(which I was reverting to stock) and the glue residue inside the earcup and on the baffle show where the sorbothane is placed. Found this the optimal placement as it brings out the soundstage in a very appealing way.

10178193.jpeg

These pictures show the dampening I use on the baffle, I found covering the screw holes with the paper tape hurts the bass and clarity, so I poked holes there.
10178196.jpeg

Two layers of felt.

10178197.jpeg

Finished headphone with sheepskin pads.

10178198.jpeg

10162854.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #218 of 521
Beautifully said Slater.

Well, the MSR7 stock are like that. Put big pads on them and they're trash. But with a bit of love and a screwdriver, they can sing.

Well, the pads on the WS1100is are great by themselves. Dunno if I'd change them. But it won't hurt to try, for sure. If you can get a pair of HM5s, go for it!

Also, if you're comfortable taking them apart, please do take some photos and post them here so we can have a point of reference for those. Also, someone here may want to have some input on what you can do with them. I for one hope they are similar to the MSR7 on the inside, as the MSR7 are very similar to the M50x and M40x. If so, you can do the same felt removal mod and see what results you get. Maybe also damping the back. The WS1100is use a 53mm driver, so they may be able to produce some serious bass if modded/powered properly. Not in quantity, mind you, but more on impact and authority of the bass.

As someone who is really considering getting a pair later on to keep company to my MSR7 as a portable can, I'd really appreciate it if you took the plunge and took them apart!
yea the ws1100 does have great pads. i was thinking about the zmf pads, but since no one can tell me what impact it will have on the sound im not gonna bother.

im not talented enough / crazy enough / rich enough to tear apart my headphones

yea they were rec'd to me by hawaiibadboy, and i just discovered joe's rockbox eq mega bass presets. for the price i paid, im happy with them; they are pretty good durable headphones.

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #219 of 521
yea the ws1100 does have great pads. i was thinking about the zmf pads, but since no one can tell me what impact it will have on the sound im not gonna bother.

im not talented enough / crazy enough / rich enough to tear apart my headphones

yea they were rec'd to me by hawaiibadboy, and i just discovered joe's rockbox eq mega bass presets. for the price i paid, im happy with them; they are pretty good durable headphones.
Hahahaha, I feel you. I was really afraid at first too. But you don't have to be neither rich nor talented to take apart your headphones and do simple stuff. A bit crazy, maybe, but that's about it. With modding, you don't have to go all in. A change of pads is a mod, perhaps the most basic one. Adding (or more seldom, removing) felt from within the enclosure is another simple mod most people can do to most headphones. And sometimes, a simple mod can go a long way towards making a good headphone great. Case in point, the MSR7. Although the WS1100is is very much like them, just with a tad more bass and less harsh treble/upper mids and a bit narrower, I still do believe that they will be able to improve with simple mods. There's a 53mm driver under there, it's huge. If you let it stretch its legs, it may sing. But ultimately, that's your call. You enjoy your headphones however you like them mate, you have a great set of cans!

My only suggestion will be to get an amp. These do improve with power quite a bit, even the efficient as all hell MSR7, let alone the WS1100is. You don't have to get a super expensive or fancy one, just a basic one will get you quite far. And it may even open up the soundstage (the MSR7 get much narrower when driven directly off of my phone). Have fun!

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #220 of 521
I have a general question to you guys if i may, a little off/on topic.
Even though sound is subjective, i think most of us can agree that there are some qualities in sound that are always desirable regardless of your taste, and some that are not (never heard of a person who likes his headphone sound muddy).
With that being said, there are a lot of simple tricks and mods that can vastly improve the sound of many headphones models, and i just wonder, how do companies that invest millions of dollars in R&D couldn't figure these stuff out, but a bunch of headphones hobbyists (to which i have tons of respect) could?

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #221 of 521
With that being said, there are a lot of simple tricks and mods that can vastly improve the sound of many headphones models, and i just wonder, how do companies that invest millions of dollars in R&D couldn't figure these stuff out, but a bunch of headphones hobbyists (to which i have tons of respect) could?

I guess the reason would be that you can always make something better. Or to hit a certain retail price point.

Why do some manufacturers make an IEM or headphone out of plastic, when they could make it out of aluminum instead?

Why would GM “only” give a Corvette 450 HP, when there are guys that buy them and add modifications that increase it to 600HP or even 1100HP.

Or why would this manufacturer make a $3 USB computer speaker that sounds like crap, when people can do some simple DIY stuff to make it sound like a $75 computer speaker?

You can always make something better. Manufacturers have to stop somewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #222 of 521
I guess the reason would be that you can always make something better.

Why would GM “only” give a Corvette 450 HP, when there are guys that buy them and add modifications that increase it to 600HP? Or some that make 1100HP.

Why would this manufacturer make a $3 USB computer speaker sound like crap, when there are people that buy it and add some simple DIY stuff to make it sound like a $75 computer speaker?

You can always make something better. Manufacturers have to stop somewhere.

I see your point, but in the headphones realm it can get to as simple as placing a piece of paper in front of the driver, zero costs and zero complexity, which is why i find it weird.

I'm referring mainly to the big players that have decades of R&D, not the low-end Chinese manufacturers.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #223 of 521
I see your point, but in the headphones realm it can get to as simple as placing a piece of paper in front of the driver, zero costs and zero complexity, which is why i find it weird.

I'm referring mainly to the big players that have decades of R&D, not the low-end Chinese manufacturers.

I hear you and totally agree, as I’m a perfectionist and heavy modder.

I guess the average customer doesn’t care. If the headphone is 97.6% perfect when it leaves the factory, they manufacturer and vast majority of their customers are happy.

It’s us tiny margin of HeadFiers that are obsessed about squeezing out that extra 2.4% of performance. Hence the modding with teabags, clay, felt, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #224 of 521
Not sure anyone noticed, but the Sony z7 is just crying to be moded.
Here are the good points:

1- It has that huge seventy something millimeter driver, which although sounds controversial, is nevertheless a highly resolving driver.
Above average IMO.

2-You can get it used around $450

3- It is high quality finish

4- the cup has plenty of space inside to tune to your liking.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back