The Mod Collective: Bring all your full sized headphone mods here.
Oct 14, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #226 of 521
Weekend project: So i went ahead and made my AKG Y50 open-back. Much bigger sound stage, big hump on the bass, a d a slight dip on the mids . I tamed the bass a little by partially blocking the magnet vent and overall i'm pretty happy with the sound and looks.

Nice job friend. Looks great!

I've done a number of open-back conversions on different headphones myself. I'm always amazed at the difference it makes.

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #227 of 521
For all those who broke headbands of their Beyerdynamic DT440, DT660, DT860 headphones.

Some time ago I described a mod that involved adapting a Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 headband for DT860 here. These headphones (and DT440, DT660) are known to have a very fragile plastic headband, specifically the forks break, usually at the swivel joint. Not to mention the headband is quite heavy and uncomfortable compared to other Beyerdynamic headphones.

Recently I did a similar headband mod to Beyerdynamic DT660. The only difference is that I used a flat cable running from L to R cup so that it can enter the cup under the mounting ring (there are no convenient grille holes on DT660 as it is a closed headphone). Here's the end result (for a step-by-step refer to the DT860 headband mod, it's the same except for the L-R connecting cable type and entry).

a4fe8e1c966b6e315586b6d2cf5bbdf9_big.jpg

I also tried an old type Beyerdynamic headband (used in DT531, DT911, old type of DT990 and DT880, DT330 and so on. It fits perfectly without any modifications to the headband (unlike the DT770/880/990 headband that you have to modify a bit), but you'll have to make an entry hole in the R cup and use a Y-type cable, there's no way to run a connection cable via headband in this case (at least not if you want it to look good). I did not do that, only put the cups on the headband as a proof of concept.

5b91265ebac13eb32685dabe7d7cf64a_big.jpg

Obviously that headband will also work for all three: DT860, DT660 and DT440.

I slept with the 440s and, well, them ultrasone shyte headband snapped at the balljoint. I was in shock but then remembered your mods,,, which came in handy ... :D

dt440.1.jpg
dt440.2.jpg
dt440.3.jpg

thanks again :D

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #228 of 521
Glad I could help :)

I see that the L to R wire runs into the cups through the hinge openings. I understand that at this point you didn't want to disconnect this wire and left it as it was originally, but be careful, now it might break due to stress caused by different hinges. If it does break and you have to replace it, try running the replacement wire into the cups like I did, through the grille.

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #229 of 521
Glad I could help :)

I see that the L to R wire runs into the cups through the hinge openings. I understand that at this point you didn't want to disconnect this wire and left it as it was originally, but be careful, now it might break due to stress caused by different hinges. If it does break and you have to replace it, try running the replacement wire into the cups like I did, through the grille.

Yes you're correct on how i did it. The hole for the yokes had some sort of 8 pattern where the groove went into the bottom hole and the top hole was enough for wire to come out. But i get your point about it being under stess. it is a rather thin wire/

But happy with the pro band comfort, and well just the fact i can listen to them now in peace.

These I liken to my ksc75s in it's musicality essence but of better overall fidelity.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #230 of 521
it is a rather thin wire

That's why I decided not to reuse it when adapting the PRO headband for DT660/860.
The "keyhole" opening (it looks more like a keyhole than an 8) has that shape because some Beyerdynamic jokes have a rotation limiter on the hinge, it fits into the top of the opening.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #231 of 521
Tomorrow is Grado day in my house. I have wanted to try out Grados for a while..... recently I got an offer to purchase a set of new RS2e at cost ($300 or so) I did a LOT of reading and it seems like if you just want to get the best possible Grado for the least possible money, the RS2e is THE one to get...a new one for less than a used one would cost is a no brainer for a normal person. Just get the best Grado for the money at the lowest possible price and then live happily ever after, I never have to read another Grado thread in my life.
But...that's not me, I have to figure all this out for myself first, right?
I bought a set of SR80e for $50 that are basically new....another headfi member got them because they wanted to check out Grados while they waited for their Empyreon to show up, so they are only three months old...you know, normal stuff.
I plan on a few of the usual mods (pads, holes in drivers etc) , a custom real leather headband (I have a local leather shop that made me a Fostex comfort strap for less than a dollar.) single sided/removable cable mod and replace the plastic screens with real metal. I have done some version of all of these mods on other headphones, plus I have read literally hundreds of "grado mod" threads. There is a LOT of info out there.
I'm hoping my Grado project doesn't get lost in the sea of Grado Projects, so I'm going to post it all here I think. My headphones should show up tomorrow, and I happen to have some free time between projects ....I'm excited.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #232 of 521
Here's a picture of my SR80e as they are currently. (I'm waiting on the guy down at the leather shop to finish the headband.)
49343011_10215399034263263_8499938444280070144_o.jpg
I replaced the plastic grills with metal ones and I installed some magnets on the back of the drivers.
Since aftermarket pads for Grados are pretty cheap ($5-20) I got a set of both types L-cush and
G-cush.
IMG_20190103_090143_394.jpg
Grados are really interesting in terms of their design: nothing is screwed together, it's all friction fit and held together with glue. Taking them apart the first time is nerve wracking because you basically just heat up the glue and then pull your perfectly good headphones apart like an ape trying to figure out headphones.
Once you get them apart, removing the grill is a similar procedure: get the plastic soft then smash and pull it all apart...you will need to crack and destroy the grill, cutting it out neatly would be extremely difficult and beyond pointless. I made the new screens out of a pencil cup I got at the dollar store. there is an interior lip that holds the screens in place, so you just have to cut the screens a little bigger than the cup and them mash them flat into place and they will stay without any glue. Before you put them back together, clean out all the old glue. I used rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth.
49376380_10215399306910079_9040299485359505408_o.jpg
The part of the design I find the most disappointing is the headband. They went beyond cheap in terms of the materials used. It's
crappy vinyl/plastic, very similar to the stuff you find on something like the Superlux HD 681. They don't even attempt to fool you into thinking it's leather, it is just straight up plastic. For a headphone that retails for $100, they should have spent literally pennies more on materials and used a decent pleather. I had the SR325e on loan for a week and the headband on those is a nice simple black leather. The difference in comfort is surprising, so I took it to my local leather shop and I am having them make me something similar for $30. On the one hand it is going to look custom/unique and be more comfortable than stock, on the other hand I would have liked to be able to save the money and spend it on upgrading the cups, for example. I would have been perfectly happy if the headband was covered in a passable faux leather. Or to put it another way, Grado could have spent another $1.00 in materials and saved me a trip to the leather shop, yanking apart (literally) my head band and spending an extra $30.
[ this space left intentionally blank pending a picture of my new headband :wink: ]
Comfort is always my first priority; if I can't wear the headphones for at least an hour comfortably, I can't even begin to asses the sound. Consequently, I am not usually a fan of on-ear headphones. The biggest change in sound actually comes from swapping out the pads. They come standard with the 'flat' pads. I did the 'quarter mod' on them which improved the sound a little, but the comfort is terrible for me.The next step up were the 'bowl' pads. Comfort is improved and I can wear them like this for 1-3 hours, which is fine. In this configuration it is the most "Grado" sounding. Going up the next size to the 'salad bowls' improved the comfort even more. With the larger pads the sound is more laid back, and the soundstage opens up noticeably. The sound loses some weight and authority, it is a more open airy kind of sound versus the bowls which is more aggressive and in your face. The sound is unique enough that I like both of them, but for different uses. Usually with pad rolling I can find one pad I prefer and just stick with that one, but in the case of the SR80e neither pad 'ruins' any of the frequencies. Often when I swap pads some portion of the frequency range is either over or under represented and the sound is 'off', but with the Grados it's more a matter of matching the aggressiveness of the sound to the type of listening I am doing. For movies, live music, acoustic music, I like the more open sound of the larger bowls. For anything: loud, fast, hard I prefer the more intimate soundstage.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #233 of 521
I had the 325e that came with the L pads, then bought an original 325 that came with flat pads, I tried L pads and hated the sound and only like it with flat pads

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #234 of 521
Has anyone had any luck fitting regular pads to the Grados, like pleather, lambskin, velour, fenestrated, hybrid, etc?

Obviously, it would change the sound. I just don’t know for the better or worse. I’ve never owned or heard Grados before.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #235 of 521
I have a few grados but would only use official or similar pads. There is a guy in New Zealand that makes different ones https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #236 of 521
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #237 of 521
I had the 325e that came with the L pads, then bought an original 325 that came with flat pads, I tried L pads and hated the sound and only like it with flat pads
I actually liked the 325 with the big bowls on them the best, but I also realize I have a pretty intense bias in terms of comfort. I could barely listen to the 325 with the flat pads because the weight of them drove them straight into my ears in a painful way...I couldn't tell you how they sound because I could barely listen to them.

Has anyone had any luck fitting regular pads to the Grados, like pleather, lambskin, velour, fenestrated, hybrid, etc?

Obviously, it would change the sound. I just don’t know for the better or worse. I’ve never owned or heard Grados before.
Having recently taken a DEEP headfirst dive into all things Grado (I'm on vacation, it's keeping me out of trouble...) I know the answer to this.
1) there have been a few guys that tried it...and one company actually made an adapter if I recall...basically the solution is a sort of ring/frame
thing that you use to attach the pads to the phones. I don't recall what they said about the sound, it seemed like too far to go...it changed the character of the headphones too much for my taste. It's a simple formula, I didn't like the idea of adding complexity.
2) those Beautiful audio pads look amazing...and EXPENSIVE, relative to what you can get Grados for (I got my SR80e used for $50...I can get a new 325e for less than $200.
In terms of pad rolling, the Grados are limited to: stock pads (or replicas of them) and the two options I just mentioned. (Plus some people did the ole sock mod...but...naw.)
you kind of just have to figure out which pads you can tolerate the best....but my most important point is
3) @Slater do yourself a favor and get some Grados. They are really fun to take apart and play with...really well designed in some ways and kind of crappy in other ways....but they sound awesome, a great bargain headphone with tons of tuning potential. It's worth the money just to get a set, take them apart, tune them a little and really get a feel for what Grados are about. Even if you decide they aren't for you and you give them away as a gift, it would be worth it.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #238 of 521
I actually liked the 325 with the big bowls on them the best, but I also realize I have a pretty intense bias in terms of comfort. I could barely listen to the 325 with the flat pads because the weight of them drove them straight into my ears in a painful way...I couldn't tell you how they sound because I could barely listen to them.

Having recently taken a DEEP headfirst dive into all things Grado (I'm on vacation, it's keeping me out of trouble...) I know the answer to this.
1) there have been a few guys that tried it...and one company actually made an adapter if I recall...basically the solution is a sort of ring/frame
thing that you use to attach the pads to the phones. I don't recall what they said about the sound, it seemed like too far to go...it changed the character of the headphones too much for my taste. It's a simple formula, I didn't like the idea of adding complexity.
2) those Beautiful audio pads look amazing...and EXPENSIVE, relative to what you can get Grados for (I got my SR80e used for $50...I can get a new 325e for less than $200.
In terms of pad rolling, the Grados are limited to: stock pads (or replicas of them) and the two options I just mentioned. (Plus some people did the ole sock mod...but...naw.)
you kind of just have to figure out which pads you can tolerate the best....but my most important point is
3) @Slater do yourself a favor and get some Grados. They are really fun to take apart and play with...really well designed in some ways and kind of crappy in other ways....but they sound awesome, a great bargain headphone with tons of tuning potential. It's worth the money just to get a set, take them apart, tune them a little and really get a feel for what Grados are about. Even if you decide they aren't for you and you give them away as a gift, it would be worth it.

Yeah, I have always wanted a set. It’s on my bucket list (along with Fostex RPs abs a few others).

I actually ordered a set of Grado SR60i when they were $35 on Amazon recently, but they cancelled my order.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #239 of 521
Yeah, I have always wanted a set. It’s on my bucket list (along with Fostex RPs abs a few others).

I actually ordered a set of Grado SR60i when they were $35 on Amazon recently, but they cancelled my order.
I had the same thing happen. I came across a set of SR80e on headfi for $50 pretty soon after my order got cancelled so I pulled the trigger on those. Really glad I did, they are worth every penny.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #240 of 521
I just went on the Spirit Labs website and was shocked at the prices. I bought the Ragnar Edition on August 2017 for £568, great headphone based on Grado with dual driver cups

Users who are viewing this thread

Back