The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
May 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #541 of 1,080
Mark Hunt has brutal knockout power, he's getting older, but he did the same thing to Struve as he did to Cheick Congo.  I'd love to see Nelson vs Hunt I think that would be a good fight stylistically at least.  I agree about GSP, I was talking to my buddy about that a while ago, GSP is a great technical fighter, but his fights are boring as hell.  He's a points fighter, I'm hoping my guy Johnny Hendricks ko's him, not that I don't like gsp, I'm also a gsp fan.  I am getting very curious about seeing Silva vs Vitor 2..
Quote:
Anyone feeling more and more unimpressed everytime GSP is fighting on two feet instead of on his knees?

Not that I like his G&P either.. but.. I just can't find myself enjoying any GSP fights.. not in a long time. Not since he transitioned from a Kyokushin Striker to an all out Wrestler.

The only fight I ever remember enjoying since he got the title might've been him knocking out Hughes and destroying Koscheck with JUST jabs.

just felt like venting my frustration with his performances lately..

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #543 of 1,080
Finally!  Tired of that dude's BS!  Oh what a feeling.

And **** you, pal.  You should be ashamed of yourself, and I'm glad you got knocked the **** out.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #544 of 1,080
Yowza. I had a feeling that was going to happen, but I'm still shocked it did. I saw an interview on Bloody Elbow where Silva basically said the best outcome for him would be in Weidman knocked him out. He was joking of course, but... I guess he got what he wanted. Dana is saying no super fights, but I think he's just trying to negotiate the price down. Silva' s heart may not have been in it fully or maybe he just needed a break, but I also think Weidman is the man. He won the first round too. 

Either way, Silva still has ten fights left on his contract. He was smart to make that deal before he fought Weidman. A lot of folks are saying Silva set the whole thing up. Who knows? I can only imagine it's tough to have to be constantly training to defend your belt. There will be a rematch with Weidman at some point,  and then we'll see what's what. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #545 of 1,080
LMAO! I'm glad his arrogance finally burned him. I, too, wonder if this was set up.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #546 of 1,080
I was definitely rooting for what happened considering Silva's attitude during the fight, but I feel a bit ripped off that we did not see his best effort against Weiderman.

Hopefully he will get his attitude back together for an epic rematch, I think Weiderman feels the same way from his comments.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #547 of 1,080
Quote:
I was definitely rooting for what happened considering Silva's attitude during the fight, but I feel a bit ripped off that we did not see his best effort against Weiderman.

Hopefully he will get his attitude back together for an epic rematch, I think Weiderman feels the same way from his comments.

Ah. I had not read those yet. Weidman did say he wanted the best Anderson Silva to show up and clearly that didn't happen. Kind of makes me think Silva was willing to lose but only if he only half tried. I agree with you. If there is a rematch, it'll be epic. I don't think Silva has really been up for a fight since he fought Vitor Belfort. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #548 of 1,080
There's plenty of videos of Anderson saying he's not gonna do a rematch.  There's also one of him practically predicting this whole thing before they even fought.  And why is he kissing everyone?  I don't remember him doing that.

VIDEO | Did Anderson Silva Predict His Own Loss? MMA News | Mixed Martial Arts | UFC News | BJPenn | MMA Fight | UFC Fights

Even if it was a set up, it wasn't supposed to end like that.  Most likely lose three rounds and Weidman gets the decision.  But Weidman caught his ass with that extra step forward!  

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps6905ecce.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #549 of 1,080
Quote:
There's plenty of videos of Anderson saying he's not gonna do a rematch.  There's also one of him practically predicting this whole thing before they even fought.  And why is he kissing everyone?  I don't remember him doing that.

VIDEO | Did Anderson Silva Predict His Own Loss? MMA News | Mixed Martial Arts | UFC News | BJPenn | MMA Fight | UFC Fights

Even if it was a set up, it wasn't supposed to end like that.  Most likely lose three rounds and Weidman gets the decision.  But Weidman caught his ass with that extra step forward!  

Man, I can watch that .gif over and over... and it's never any less awesome. 
cool.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #550 of 1,080
Quote:

I think Silva's just bucking for a bigger paycheck. When Dana starts to put the screws to him, he'll have a lot more bargaining power than if he'd already said publicly that he'd do the rematch. In other words, I think Silva's got a really smart manager. They are going to milk the most money out of this they can. I believe there will be a rematch at some point and I also believe Silva will do everything in his power to win it so that can cash in on the Super Fight(s) and make even more $$$$. Call me cynical, but I always follow the trail leading to the most money and it usually explains the path that leads there. :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #551 of 1,080
Or maybe Silva just dislikes White and doesn't want to be his cash cow anymore. Or maybe he's just lost his motivation.
Speculation is king
popcorn.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #553 of 1,080
Guys, Silva is 38 years old and he already wanted to retire before coming to the UFC. I imagine he wants to take everything a bit slower now. He may or may not change his mind at a later date, but I can at least understand where he's coming from when he says he's tired. 

Personally, I'd rather see Vitor fight Weidman than a rematch. Vitor seems so obsessed nowadays. It would be a fun fight to see that loony fight for a title. If he has been acting manic lately, just think how he would be before a title fight against Weidman. I mean, I would probably get static from all the electricity pouring from him through the TV. Even better if he could be on TRT.

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #554 of 1,080
So you're in the camp that Silva's lost his motivation.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #555 of 1,080
I don't know. I just think it'd be foolish and naive not to take it into account and it would be pretty naive to fall for Dana's "We're still waiting for the guy to look like 38" rant. He may not look like 38 when he fights, but he is 38, and not even on TRT. Here's the thing: while the rest of the world perceives 38 years of age as being old for an athlete that relies on speed -- maybe even a little too old -- MMA fighters and Silva in particular is supposed to be a magic exception. Silva has been phenomenal, I agree, but age is not a myth. It's a real factor, and fighters are, on contrary to hyperbole and popular belief, only human.

As for motivation, I don't know. I think motivation is only one thing of many that leads to a result.

On one hand, the man practically thanked Weidman for winning, and has done so ever since his post fight interview. On the flip side of that coin, he could very well be just doing his own version of damage control. Though, if you're asking whether or not I believe him, I'd have to say 'yes'. I do believe him, mainly because it kind of makes sense. The man is 38.

Note: I am however not taking anything away from Weidman. He won that fight fairly squarely. I just think that in reality, age was probably more of a factor than most fans are willing to admit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back