The Ming Da has landed
Jul 17, 2009 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
The Ming Da MC84 C07. Price paid from Pacific Valve distributer: $414.

DSCN1443.jpg

DSCN1440.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

DSCN1439.jpg

IMPRESSIONS:

The build quality is highly impressive. It’s beautiful and I love the wood paneling. It’s also heavy and built like a bullet proof box. The sound is stunningly good. Rich and warm especially when vintage tubes are used. The music really sings and can be addictive with the more lush sound of the older tubes. Very nice clarity too- it has a nice balance of being warm and clear but not going overboard in any direction.

Minor Hum Issue:

There is a very very faint hum that’s barely noticeable when the CD player is not playing music. However, the hum disappears when the music is playing. It sounds really fantastic with the AKG K701, K501 and Sennheiser HD650. However, with a lower impedance headphone like the Grado SR60 (32 ohms), the hum was obvious. As a result, it is not for low impedance headphones. The K701 has a relatively low impedance of 62 ohms but it still sounds great IMO, and it’s actually my main headphone. Grado users may want to skip this amp. For me, it's not a problem since I rarely use Grados even though I do like them.

Edit:

I changed the 12AX7 tube on the right channel and the hum was gone. It was a defective tube. It still hums for the Grado however but the hum is gone from the K 701 and the other headphones.

Speaker outs:

As a 5 watt amp, it still gets very loud. I tested it with my set of Marantz bookshelf speakers and it sounded very good. I also tried it with Insignia bookshelfs and since it’s harder to drive, I had to turn the volume up higher but it still sounded good. With the AKG K1000 speaker phone, it drove it decent but I am one of those people who believe that you need an amp with the right specs for it to really sing. Eventually, I will get a set of some serious speakers that will perfectly match this amp. Can’t wait!

Despite the spec limitations, sonically, the amp is amazing!

chewie0ol.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 40
Very nice little amp!

As I recall the Darkvoice 332 I bought a couple of years ago had a tiny bit of hum with the stock Chinese tubes. It disappeared completely when I replaced them with good NOS tubes from Mullard and Western Electric.

--Jerome

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 40
And now, starring the cast:

DSCN1449.jpg

Tested strong 1960 Philco 12AX7, Sylvania rebranded. Price paid from eBay: $8.80 each.

DSCN1452.jpg

NOS 1966 Baldwin Organ 6BQ5 (EL84), Sylvania rebranded, Price paid from eBay: $17.50 each.

DSCN1454.jpg

Tested strong early 60s Philco EM87 labeled Cool Chassis TV, German made. Also known as the magic eye tube. Price paid from eBay: $5.20.

DSCN1457.jpg

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 40
Congrats on your purchase. I think this amp is an absoulte bargin. It easily competes with amps twice the price. In fact it's one of the 3 or 4 best amps I ever heard.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 40
Looks like a nice amp. Been on my radar for a while now. I love the fact that it can do double duty with speakers. 5 watts ought to be enough for some Klipsch/altec horns!

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 40
Nice looking little amplifier. Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 40
It is pretty well-known that there will be hum with low ohm headphones - so k701-2, Darthbeyers, or Grado's are not good choices to match with it. The Ming Da IS abolutely at its' best with such k340, dt990/600ohm (or also with the other Beyer 600ohms). It is reported to do well with 250ohm headphones - I just don't own any of those.
You ought to try orig. (not re-issues) Mullard EL84.....I like to sub. 12ax7 with Raytheon 5751/windmill (admittedly difficult to find, and expensive). The "magic eye" eg 6HU6 should not be forgotten - it indeed makes a difference - I use Amperex, others are equally happy with Sylvania, or Mullard.
Yes, this amp is a bonified bargain if you want to drive headphones that are appropriate to it..........and it's a piece of audio art. Yes, I am enthusiastic about it .....as I am re Kicas Caliente, and Blue Circle SBH (especially the one box varient).

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 40
Congrats on your Ming Da - it is such a nice amp, it still shocks me more people don't have one.

And as BushGuy says, headphones below about 200 ohms or so will exhibit hum. It's barely noticable with my 80 ohm Beyers or 70 ohm JVC DX1000 when no music is playing, but it is there. With the 600 ohm Beyers, though, it's dead quiet. Again as BushGuy said, the Ming Da *loves* 600 ohm Beyers - My DT770/600 and the Ming Da are just terrific together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back