The Ming Da has landed
Aug 7, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Mullard EL84 and Raytheon 5751 in my MG Head. They made that amp absolutely sing!

Good stuff! Tube rolling is interesting. I have changed tubes as well and have settled with a pair of 1959 RCA 12ax7 grey plate (Relabeled Baldwin organ-white print) and I love it. The tone is fuller and sound scape is wider and smoother. I was suprised at the difference. It brings the amp to a higher level.

Koven: I have the EF1 and I like the Ming Da better but the EF1 is still a nice amp.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moodyrn, thanks for that info. Strange that your amp switch behaved differentşy, because the PSB website states that both the T65 and the B15 have nominal impedance of 6 ohms.

Musicmind you're right. I just assumed the b15s must be 8ohms because the switched worked with them. But they are also 6ohms. So I just hooked the amp back up to the t65s with the same results. But I did find the problem. I had speakers connected to both the mingda and my receiver. It shouldn't have made a difference because the internal amp on the receiver is switched off. But when I disconnected the speakers from the receiver, the switch worked flawlessly. So now when going back and forth between powering them with the receiver and the amp, I need to disconnect them from the receiver. Well, I guess it's time to get some bannana plugs. The mingda doesn't power them as well as my receiver, but it sounds better doing it. It still drives them to satisfying levels in my 18x18ft den. Thanks for pointing that out. I never would had figured that out. Wow the value of this amp just doubled for me.

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #33 of 40
Thats good news Moodyrn, glad all is working well.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, what would you say is the difference between the way your speakers sound when powered by the Ming da versus your receiver?

Also, how is your AD1000 getting along with the Ming da? I've read elsewhere you favour the HD580, but I'm curious about whether the AD1000 is able to sound good with the amp despite its low impedance.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #34 of 40
Another interesting application for this amp would be to use it with some stax electrostats. The stax cans take their signal from the speaker outs on an amplifier. most of the highly regarded stax amps are tube driven as well, so this could be a triple header for me. speakers, stax, and standard cans!! hmmmm. can the pc input on the back be used like a standard line in?

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another interesting application for this amp would be to use it with some stax electrostats. The stax cans take their signal from the speaker outs on an amplifier. most of the highly regarded stax amps are tube driven as well, so this could be a triple header for me. speakers, stax, and standard cans!! hmmmm. can the pc input on the back be used like a standard line in?

yes.

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats good news Moodyrn, glad all is working well.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, what would you say is the difference between the way your speakers sound when powered by the Ming da versus your receiver?

Also, how is your AD1000 getting along with the Ming da? I've read elsewhere you favour the HD580, but I'm curious about whether the AD1000 is able to sound good with the amp despite its low impedance.

Thanks in advance.

Verses the receiver, the mingda sounds more organic. The vocals sound more natural, cymbals sounds more like cymbals instead of sticks striking metal objects. The soundstage souunds more three dimensional. Right now the hd580s are my third best cans. I have modded and recabled my sextetts, and that has made a huge difference. I only prefer them slightly, but I do prefer them. My ad1000s are in a completely different league from both. I use a 300ohm adapter with them mated to the mingda. They are much more resolving than my other cans. I can hear much more in the music with them. When I first got them they were harsh, now they have smoothed out and are very refined. Their presentation is IMO breathtaking. They are so detailed(without being overly bright), and the midrange is dead nuetral. I love them a lot. I still love my 580s, they just don't get picked as much now.

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #38 of 40
Yes, there is hum when not using the adapter. I even use the the adapter with my compass. The sound is a little more coherent with the adapter. Everything is more balanced. I'm thinking about wiring in the some 300ohm resistors whenever I decide to recable them making it permanant. But all in all, I really enjoy the mingda with all of my headphones now; both low and high impedance cans.

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good stuff! Tube rolling is interesting. I have changed tubes as well and have settled with a pair of 1959 RCA 12ax7 grey plate (Relabeled Baldwin organ-white print) and I love it. The tone is fuller and sound scape is wider and smoother. I was suprised at the difference. It brings the amp to a higher level.

Koven: I have the EF1 and I like the Ming Da better but the EF1 is still a nice amp.

Heh, you know, I think I had one those RCA's myself although mine may have had orange printing and thus be a different tube. I gave my tube rig to my dad so I have not seen the tube in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back