The Minecraft Thread (server is OFF, I miss MC)
Apr 2, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #31 of 402

A Minecraft thread even on this site.
Quote:
Saw my nephew playing Minecraft on his MacBook Pro and it looked amusing. What's the objective of the game?

I didn't know it ran on Mac, I've been pressured for quite some time to get into this game, this might just mean that I will. +1 to head-fi server interest!

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #32 of 402

Quote:
I'm up for hosting a server, if people are that interested. Test my university internet connection to the limit.

It would, of course, not be an official head-fi server, but at least a place for a few of us to hang out in Minecraft
smily_headphones1.gif

deeewww it!

I looove minecraft. I'm working on an underground castle of sorts ATM.  I'm planning on putting in a lava lighting system in the walls.  I'm nowhere near finished, but ill post pictures here when i'm done.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #33 of 402
I'll get one up in a day or two. One of my side projects is developing a gaming community website, and I already have a TF2 server, so why not make a few more servers while I'm at it? :cool:

Not sure whether I'll advertise it as an unofficial HF server or under the name of my website. Less liability for Jude with the latter. It can be the sneaky HF Minecraft server.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #34 of 402

Quote:
I'll get one up in a day or two. One of my side projects is developing a gaming community website, and I already have a TF2 server, so why not make a few more servers while I'm at it?
cool.gif

Not sure whether I'll advertise it as an unofficial HF server or under the name of my website. Less liability for Jude with the latter. It can be the sneaky HF Minecraft server.

you should make me an OP in the server :)

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #35 of 402
When I get the server up, I'll add some ops. Not sure who they'll be yet. If we keep the server to ourselves, we may not need many, if any. I'll make sure everyone has enough resources to have fun building, and I'll set up warps and such as needed.

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #36 of 402
Wow, nice one dude. I was able to get a server going on my VPS, but the result was kinda unstable and slow.  (I only had 512MB of ram, but the recommended was 1GB!) Does your university not restrict the amount of ram you can use?

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #37 of 402
I run it on a virtual server on my own personal workstation. I've got a connection with about 100mbit down and 8mbit up, so hopefully my bandwidth will be sufficient as well.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #39 of 402

Quote:
Saw my nephew playing Minecraft on his MacBook Pro and it looked amusing. What's the objective of the game?

There is no real objective other than what you aim to do. Mining is obviously major part for raw materials, stone, coal, iron, gold etc... but what you do with them is up to you. Be creative! And survive the monsters in the process. With some mods you can turn the whole game to real survival horror. :) I say that Minecraft is an odd mixture of game and creativity toy, an ultimate sandbox game.

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #41 of 402
+1 for the server. 
rolleyes.gif

Ive been burning stuff ...  with lava, turned out to be a good way to hunt for animals, or more like collect the stuff they left after died burned.

havent build something worthy to show tho

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #43 of 402
I've essentially got the server set, should be up by the end of the day. Any requests for specific settings? Right now spawn monsters is off (for the sake of building.) I will also set up waypoints as needed.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #44 of 402
when everything is more developed then we should have monsters, but I think we should have animals only for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back