The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery
Feb 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #932 of 1,426
X2s are great. Have you tried the Nighthawks? They make a nice upgrade from the X2

99% of my music listening is via my CIEMs. The X2 was bought for when I want to listen to a few tracks and still be able to hear the kids and for those "hey you gotta listen to this" moments. The Nighthawk looks good, but are priced waaaay beyond what I want to spend on a headphone for casual listening :wink:

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #933 of 1,426
99% of my music listening is via my CIEMs. The X2 was bought for when I want to listen to a few tracks and still be able to hear the kids and for those "hey you gotta listen to this" moments. The Nighthawk looks good, but are priced waaaay beyond what I want to spend on a headphone for casual listening :wink:

Fair call - makes sense

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #934 of 1,426

My RWAK240 + SE846. :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #935 of 1,426

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #936 of 1,426

Old rig.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #937 of 1,426
Nice pic Sorensiim. The X2 is quite nice. Wouldn't really call the Nighthawk an upgrade though.

Thanks! And yep, the X2 is really something, isn't it? Sure, the planars are tighter and other dynamics might have better treble, but as a whole, especially at that price and being so comfortable, I'm wildly impressed.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #945 of 1,426
Vintage Tubelicousness

(Oops! Where's the headphone jack?)

1937 Silvertone Model 4569 AM shortwave radio

This is the so-called "Magic Eye" (a 6G5 tuning tube) - my avatar, here at Head-Fi.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6g5.html

As signal strength increases while tuning, the dark area at 6 o'clock gets smaller. When a signal is weak or you are slightly off frequency, the gap widens.

:)

It's never been restored, yet plays beautifully, and it's 79 years old. I should really have the caps and resistors replaced, but I only turn it on for a few minutes every month and I love being able to say that it's completely original, with the exception of the tuning tube, but I have the original 6G5 and it still works, but the phosphor has faded, so I keep the NOS tube in the radio for cosmetic reasons.

It's mono, of course, but get this: The speaker has four wires feeding it because there is no permanent magnet. Instead it has two electromagnets - one coil is fixed stationary to the frame and the other coil moves with the cone. The tone is very full, wet, smooth and rich sounding. Mids are a bit suppressed, however. :) One of the knobs is a "Tone" control, that acts against the treble, primarily.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back