The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery
Nov 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #511 of 1,426
  Hi Loquah,

This was a diamond in the rough!  
biggrin.gif
   You really have a good eye, and I suspect this is what you saw in your mind's eye when you took the picture.  I hope I'm not being too presumptive, but really - getting the capture is half the battle, and you did a fine job of that.

fb7edf32_Loquah_IEM_tweaked.jpeg

Wow. Thanks for doing that! I tried lifting the shadows of one of the others (in Lightroom) and it didn't look so good so I didn't bother trying on this one - I'm so glad you did!!

I love how the bottom corner of the IEM looks almost chromed due to the darkness and reflections

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #519 of 1,426
Advice taken, thanks man 
biggrin.gif
 I was fiddling around with the curve adjustments in photoshop and got this effect by luck lol. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #521 of 1,426

I prefer the top one (darker).
It has better 'leading lines' (the way the lines lead your eyes around the image)
Darker image shows the finer details better than the lighter one, which has burned-out areas that are too bright IMO.
It's subjective but the darker one has a better 'mood' to the lighting, and is technically closer to 'correct exposure'.
Also the colours in the darker one look more 'green' and the bottom one more 'red'. The 'greener' colour looks more natural or correct to me.

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #523 of 1,426
Try shooting it again in the same lighting conditions, but use something like an A4 sheet of white paper or aluminium foil as a reflector to get more light on one side.
I would put it somewhere left of the camera, as the lighting and contrast on the right side of the cup on both images is worth keeping, so I wouldn't interfere with that.

Maybe the 'brighter' one looks nicer to you because of the warmer colours? In photoshop or lightroom, just put the colour slider from blue to yellow slightly, and this will give the same effect.
(or get GIMP - free but fairly powerful image software).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back