The Mars Volta - Octahedron (New Album)
Jun 4, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So.. this new album..... are they using a new producer? Because they're previous albums sound like s***.... terrible mastering... makes my ears cry.

On another note, these guys are absolutely INCREDIBLE live. If you like their music at all, even a little, SEE THEM LIVE!

I was blown away when I saw them. They played for almost 3 hours straight.. no breaks. That drummer has the most stamina I've ever seen.. these guys just ROCK live!

Frances the Mute and Bedlam actually sound pretty damn good, considering they're such loud and energetic albums.

Amputechture sounds the worst.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #32 of 45
I've got the new album
wink.gif

I'm going to go lie down and listen to it now.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frances the Mute and Bedlam actually sound pretty damn good, considering they're such loud and energetic albums.

Amputechture sounds the worst.

those are two of the better ones... the rest are pretty lousy. definitely helps if they're lossless... i find the lower bitrate really dirties the recording.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #34 of 45
IMO Deloused in the Comatourium and Frances the Mute are the best two albums T.M.V. have released to date. I owned both Amputecture and The Bedlam In Goliath and they didn't have me stuck listening to them for hours on end like the first two full lengths did.

I just listened to "Cotopaxi" and am currently listening to "Since We've Been Wrong", both of which I enjoy and I will be buying the new album. I guess I really miss the more organic LSD soaked sounds in their earlier offerings.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #35 of 45
Out of all the albums of theirs I've ever heard, I think Deloused is the best. It's a masterpiece in my opinion. But all their other albums, I just can't get into. Maybe this new one will be different for me.

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #36 of 45
This new album is pretty amazing. It also sounds good. I've not noticed any unpleasant distortion, and everything sounds nice and dynamic.

The best tracks are Halo of Nembutals, Copernicus, and Teflon.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #37 of 45
Another album leaked early?

Why and how does this happen?

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #39 of 45
I think is sucks that so many albums get leaked prior to their official release date.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #40 of 45
Deloused in the Comatorium is both a terrific record and very well recorded. I have had a hard time getting into any of the stuff they have released after it though - hoping that the new one is good musically and sonically.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #41 of 45
Had to revive this;
took me about 5+ listens, but I now think this album is fantastic.
Not the high octane material i'm used to, but the slow jams are a nice change of place.
Musicianship and lyrics are top notch as always.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #43 of 45
I liked this album very much. It's easier to listen to than their previous albums. I like the more relaxed approach they have taken on the Octahedron. Though the best album by The Mars Volta still is Deloused in Comatorium.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked this album very much. It's easier to listen to than their previous albums. I like the more relaxed approach they have taken on the Octahedron. Though the best album by The Mars Volta still is Deloused in Comatorium.

By far.
Listened to it yesterday top to bottom for the first time in a whiles...astounding how good it is.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive seen them live and much to my surprise, they sounded horrible.
Now it might have been the sound system or the venue acoustics but theyre mayhem-styled-musicianship IMO just does not translate well live.
Too much stuff going on at once, coming from different directions and the vocals were way too recessed to really follow what was going on.

I think I need to see them again at another venue before I make a final call.

DUBLO7-you inspired me to give Frances a listen; always loved that album but it is truly an incredible piece of music when listened to in its entirety. I would agree its their greatest accomplishment, however I feel De-Loused is relatively more accessible and good for the newbies.

Much to your suprise? You really expected him to sing that good??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back