The Mars Volta - Octahedron (New Album)
May 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Dublo7

1000+ Head-Fier
So, is anyone else here as excited about the new Mars Volta album as I am?
Quote:

octac.jpg

THE MARS VOLTA: OCTAHEDRON Out June 23 on Warner Bros. Records (NORTH AMERICA) and June 22nd on Mercury Records (REST OF WORLD)

The Mars Volta’s fifth studio album, Octahedron, will be released June 23 by Warner Bros. Records in North America and on June 22nd on Mercury Records in the rest of the world.

The first single in North America will be “Since We’ve Been Wrong” while overseas it will be Cotopaxi.

Octahedron was written by The Mars Volta Omar Rodriguez Lopez (music, arrangements, direction) and Cedric Bixler Zavala (vocals, lyrics) and performed by The Mars Volta group: Marcel Rodriguez Lopez, Thomas Pridgen, John Frusciante, Isaiah Ikey Owens, Juan Alderete de la Pena, Cedric Bixler Zavala and Omar Rodriguez Lopez.

1. Since We've Been Wrong
2. Teflon
3. Halo of Nembutals
4. With Twilight as My Guide
5. Cotopaxi
6. Desperate Graves
7. Copernicus
8. Luciforms

The Mars Volta
The Mars Volta - Enter the Octahedron (Here you can listen to the new single, "Since We've Been Wrong" in decent quality)

4 songs (Desperate Graves, Cotopaxi, Since We've Been Wrong, With Twilight As My Guide) have already leaked and are circulating on sites like YouTube.

Bedlam in Goliath wasn't the greatest album, but from these 4 leaked tracks, I can say I'm optimistic that Octahedron will deliver.

May 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 45
Super excited; still working on learning Bedlam which is not their best, but still quite good.

May 28, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Super excited; still working on learning Bedlam which is not their best, but still quite good.

Bedlam has some really, really good songs. And to be honest, I like Bedlam a lot more than I like Amputechture. Amputechture only has around 3 songs that I can routinely listen to.

May 28, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 45
Always been interested in Mars Volta. But never took the plunge. Any recommendations on which album I should try out first?

May 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 45
The vocals are just too much for me. Too piercing or something. Very talented band though. I just wish they would go instrumental.

May 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always been interested in Mars Volta. But never took the plunge. Any recommendations on which album I should try out first?

Start with De-Loused in the Comatorium and then Frances the Mute.

Frances the Mute is probably my favourite Mars Volta album.

May 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The vocals are just too much for me. Too piercing or something. Very talented band though. I just wish they would go instrumental.

i agree....the guy can sing but it just seems like vocal masturbation a la american idol.

May 28, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

I agree. I would probably like them if they were instrumental.
(Actually, that applies to many bands. I often enjoy instrumental albums by bands that I don't care for otherwise. Examples include Beasty Boys and Nine Inch Nails. I also tend to enjoy the instrumental tracks to vocal tracks on albums that contain both.)

May 28, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Start with De-Loused in the Comatorium and then Frances the Mute.

Frances the Mute is probably my favourite Mars Volta album.

X2

well the lineage anyway, De-loused is still currently my fav (about 3 weeks since I discovered them)

I can understand how his voice may put people off (love it or hate it) but I like it even more because of that, it's unique!

In other words if you haven't dismissed it already (or even if you may have
biggrin.gif
) listen once to the entire album De-loused and then make your decision. Last.fm has it in it's entirety.

Edit: And yes I am looking forward to the new album
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only CD of theirs that I have heard was Francis the Mute, and I was not impressed. I wonder if this one is worth trying?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

im gonna go x3 on De-Loused, its one of my favorite albums of the past 20 years.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree....the guy can sing but it just seems like vocal masturbation a la american idol.

Takes some time, but give it a couple more tries.
Cedrics voice takes some getting use to but when it clicks, it becomes obvious that his voice is integral to their overall sound.

Just an incredibly talented band.

May 29, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #15 of 45
De-loused in the Comatorium is the top album for me too but thats out of the only two I've heard. Couldn't get into their new stuff after Frances the Mute, which was great overall. Definitely give the vocals a chance, I couldn't listen to him at first but it grows on you. And I agree with kwitel on his voice being crucial to the band's tone. One of my favorite prog-rock bands of all time
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back