The Mars Volta - Octahedron (New Album)
May 29, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #16 of 45
Cedric is one of my favourite rock vocalists. He's incredibly versatile.

If you want to enjoy Frances the Mute, you really must listen to it from start to finish.
Frances the Mute is supposed to be an auditory film. It's also that much better when you're under the influence of a certain green herb
wink.gif

May 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #18 of 45
If only that was an option, oh well.

Today I just read about the background for the concept of the album De-loused and all I can say is "Whoaahh". Actually it makes the lyrics make a little more sense though.
wink.gif

Wish I would've discovered this band a couple years ago as I lived in El Paso at that time and they were touring. Doh!

May 29, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permagrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only that was an option, oh well.

Today I just read about the background for the concept of the album De-loused and all I can say is "Whoaahh". Actually it makes the lyrics make a little more sense though.
wink.gif

Wish I would've discovered this band a couple years ago as I lived in El Paso at that time and they were touring. Doh!

Ive seen them live and much to my surprise, they sounded horrible.
Now it might have been the sound system or the venue acoustics but theyre mayhem-styled-musicianship IMO just does not translate well live.
Too much stuff going on at once, coming from different directions and the vocals were way too recessed to really follow what was going on.

I think I need to see them again at another venue before I make a final call.

DUBLO7-you inspired me to give Frances a listen; always loved that album but it is truly an incredible piece of music when listened to in its entirety. I would agree its their greatest accomplishment, however I feel De-Loused is relatively more accessible and good for the newbies.

May 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now it might have been the sound system or the venue acoustics but theyre mayhem-styled-musicianship IMO just does not translate well live.
Too much stuff going on at once, coming from different directions and the vocals were way too recessed to really follow what was going on.

Unfortuately I can echo this statement. I saw them here at a relatively small venue (The Tabernacle sp?) and they sounded pretty rough, bordering on bad. It was also very unfortuante that most of the people there were what I would call "hipsters" who were there because it was the cool thing to do and not for the music, if that makes any sense.
confused_face.gif
This was back when they were touring for Frances, and The Widow was making it's rounds on the radio which may have had something to do with that. If I were to go to a show today, it would probably be a much better crowd.

For me, Bedlam, Frances, and De-Loused rank really close together as excellent albums. Which one takes first really depends on the mood. However, Amputechture have had less than a dozen spins since I bought it on release day. Everything on that album just seemed too dragged out, though the album did have some very, very good moments you had to wade through too much filler to get to them. Still, their worst is a whole lot better than some other groups best. I would kill to hear a quality remastering of De-Loused. Despite being plain awesome, it still sounds like a wall of noise for the most part.

All that said, I'm positively stoked for the new album. Normally their albums are leaked a few months in advance, so I'm wondering why there are no copies to be found on the internets. If I didn't have that long period to get used to Frances I wouldn't have liked it near as much when I actually bought the album when it officially came out.

May 30, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortuately I can echo this statement. I saw them here at a relatively small venue (The Tabernacle sp?) and they sounded pretty rough, bordering on bad. It was also very unfortuante that most of the people there were what I would call "hipsters" who were there because it was the cool thing to do and not for the music, if that makes any sense.
confused_face.gif
This was back when they were touring for Frances, and The Widow was making it's rounds on the radio which may have had something to do with that. If I were to go to a show today, it would probably be a much better crowd.

For me, Bedlam, Frances, and De-Loused rank really close together as excellent albums. Which one takes first really depends on the mood. However, Amputechture have had less than a dozen spins since I bought it on release day. Everything on that album just seemed too dragged out, though the album did have some very, very good moments you had to wade through too much filler to get to them. Still, their worst is a whole lot better than some other groups best. I would kill to hear a quality remastering of De-Loused. Despite being plain awesome, it still sounds like a wall of noise for the most part.

All that said, I'm positively stoked for the new album. Normally their albums are leaked a few months in advance, so I'm wondering why there are no copies to be found on the internets. If I didn't have that long period to get used to Frances I wouldn't have liked it near as much when I actually bought the album when it officially came out.

Im surprised, I really like Amputechture.

May 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Im surprised, I really like Amputechture.

So did I when I first got it. I don't think it aged very well on me. Maybe I'll give it a go tonight and see if my opinion has changed. I will say that it's not a bad album, not by a long shot. It's just my least favorite out of the four (and soon five potentially).

May 30, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

I think I need to see them again at another venue before I make a final call.

DUBLO7-you inspired me to give Frances a listen; always loved that album but it is truly an incredible piece of music when listened to in its entirety. I would agree its their greatest accomplishment, however I feel De-Loused is relatively more accessible and good for the newbies.

Yeah, De-Loused is definitely the album to start off with.

Even though I'm not the hugest fan of Amputechture, I'd say that Day of the Baphomets is close to being their best track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy OneThree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Bedlam is my favorite so far (not including that god-awful slow track in the middle). Listening to "Desperate Graves"
smily_headphones1.gif

Which slow track are you talking about? Do you mean Tourniquet Man?

May 31, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only CD of theirs that I have heard was Francis the Mute, and I was not impressed. I wonder if this one is worth trying?

I can only listen to Frances The Mute when i'm under the influence of some sort of narcotic. Try Deloused In The Comatorium or The Bedlam In Goliath.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #29 of 45
After two of their CDs on constant rotation (Amp' & Deloused....) I grew tired of The Mars Volta rather quickly thereafter.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #30 of 45
So.. this new album..... are they using a new producer? Because they're previous albums sound like s***.... terrible mastering... makes my ears cry.

On another note, these guys are absolutely INCREDIBLE live. If you like their music at all, even a little, SEE THEM LIVE!

I was blown away when I saw them. They played for almost 3 hours straight.. no breaks. That drummer has the most stamina I've ever seen.. these guys just ROCK live!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back