The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium = GREAT
Jul 7, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #46 of 66
You bastards!
Just ordered MARS VOLTA and SPARTA albums, even though I am not a fan of ATDI. Samples I checked sound kewl.

I do really like:
-Trail of Dead (newest)
-Jimmy Eat World (have 2-3 albums here)

NP: CATHERINE WHEEL - Chrome (it's bliss out time again)

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
So I'm the only person to broadly agree with the pitchfork review?

I agree with elements of the pitchfork review, especially the bit about the cryptic lyrics (and that's a charitable description). I still think it's listenable though in the short term, something similar to Muse's "Origin of Symmetry", if not nearly as great. Does "De-Loused in the Comatorium" have staying power? If it shows up in the Music For Sale/Trade forum, you'll know my answer
wink.gif

- w

Jul 7, 2003 at 8:26 AM Post #48 of 66
Funny story about this Album.

I heard this from some guy at another forum.

"Some guy in the record store decided to give TMV a listen based on the funky CD cover. After awhile he demanded to know who the band was and he wanted to purchase all of their pervious work. So this guy ends up buying almost all of the ATDI albums and probally the Sparta album too."

(Not directly quoted)

'Fork guy is crazy, BONGOS RULE!

Jul 7, 2003 at 7:44 PM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
I agree with elements of the pitchfork review, especially the bit about the cryptic lyrics (and that's a charitable description). I still think it's listenable though in the short term, something similar to Muse's "Origin of Symmetry", if not nearly as great. Does "De-Loused in the Comatorium" have staying power? If it shows up in the Music For Sale/Trade forum, you'll know my answer
wink.gif

- w

It's definitely listenable... I just don't think it's great or original. The "lyrics" are positively comedic... I listened to this on the way back from the shop after I got it and I think people could see me pulling faces as I was mentally saying to myself "Midnight whats from boxcar cadavers????"
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #50 of 66
I picked it up today. Pretty good. Too bad I destroyed my MDR 7506 because I cant hear the lyrics too well on my Senn px100. The guy has a nice voice. Their sound reminds of late 70's heavy metal. I keep waiting for the wailing guitar solo. I have to give it a few more listens. Interesting sound.

Jul 10, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #51 of 66
Im feeling this album more and more. Check it out while its still no sale! You cant lose.

Jul 10, 2003 at 8:04 AM Post #52 of 66
cedric's voice seems to have 'matured'. i am not sure if thats actually what has happened or what. because i really don't think he sounds like the 'atdi cedric'. sparta, excellent cd. austere, the ep, is good as well. i have all the atdi albums, except hell paso, because they haven't made it for years. if you like mars volta, give atdi a try. emotional, depressing lyrics(if you know the stories behind them) if you want i will post my(and some others) take on around 25 songs. i just haven't gotten around to sitting down and deciphering the other 25 or so.

Jul 16, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
So I'm the only person to broadly agree with the pitchfork review?

Make me 2nd to agree with Pitchfork review, after listening to entire MARS VOLTA CD found it disappointing effort.........now for sale at half.com

SPARTA - Wiretap Scars is much better musically as well as better sound quality for me.

Jul 17, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #55 of 66
I heard three songs from this album on the radio last night and I liked them pretty much, but it won`t be that easy to find this CD in this part of the world.
mad.gif

The announcer said the band Sparta sucked big time and he praised Mars Volta so much. They didn`t play Sparta, though.

Jul 18, 2003 at 10:09 AM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Make me 2nd to agree with Pitchfork review, after listening to entire MARS VOLTA CD found it disappointing effort.........now for sale at half.com

SPARTA - Wiretap Scars is much better musically as well as better sound quality for me.

Eh? I disagree with the sound quality but I do dig the Sparta CD more; RX Coup is an amazing song.

It's pretty funny listening to those two albums; Sparta is fairly tame with elements of ATDI and Mars Volta is completely off the ****ing deep end... with elements of ATDI. I'd say Mars Volta captures the insanity / structured chaos of ATDI but it's the perfect blend of the two that made ATDI so amazing. Oh well, Sparta should have an album out this year, hopefully.

How do you think the live Mars Volta shows will turn out...
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2003 at 11:32 AM Post #57 of 66
The main problem with MARS VOLTA is many songs are too long without having enough quality ideas/skill to sustain that length.
When I was listening to CD initially about 1/2 way through it was a borderline sell for me, then I hit that 12+ minute track (that should be 3-4 minutes) and that pushed it over the edge for me to sell............you do get a lot of minutes for your money, just not my kind of minutes.
cool.gif

By comparison the SPARTA is more conventional and not as daring as MV, but nothing is wasted and every song is a quality track.

Jul 18, 2003 at 11:52 AM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
When I was listening to CD initially about 1/2 way through it was a borderline sell for me, then I hit that 12+ minute track (that should be 3-4 minutes) and that pushed it over the edge for me to sell

Not to totally cop out but... it's a drug soundtrack. They're very strange guys although I don't think I have to tell you that. I do like the semi-70's sound when that 12 minute track finally comes back around.

What did you think of the 9th track (Televators)? I don't agree with some of their off-kilter guitar parts (namely the ******** that goes on during the chorus of "Drunkship of Lanterns") but I guess it's take it or leave it.

Jul 19, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #59 of 66
Without looking at any of the other posts here, I'll have to say that this is one of the best value albums I've actually bought or seen worth buying in a long time. $9 for this wonderful album.

Jul 19, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #60 of 66
Wow! I was just going to look at the music forum just to see if there was anything about this album! I heard the one song, "Drunkship Of Lanterns" and bought the CD the next day.

A couple of my friends have this album too! One interesting note about this, is those particular friends aren't big proponents of sound quality(ie this forum), and when they heard The Mars Volta on my current setup, they were amazed! One has ordered a META since then, and picked up the Denon DCP-100 from GaryL. How interesting that such a great album can do so much(and cost my friend a lot of $$ too)

10/10 album. I particularly enjoy "Drunkship Of Lanterns" and "This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed" the high energy combined with amazing vocals make this a must have for any lover of rock of any type. I LOVE this album!

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back