The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium = GREAT
Jul 28, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #61 of 66
Hey, good call on this, Chris, picked it up, loved it. Also snagged a copy of the Tremulant EP.

So what's the scoop with At The Drive-In and Sparta? Which band or band's albums do they sound more like? Are any of these earlier bands/albums worth getting, based on like Mars Volta?

Jul 28, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #62 of 66
Glad you enjoyed, Dusty. It really is a damn fine album.

Re: Sparta, I haven't heard so I can't say. But all signs point to Sparta being much "poppier" than Volta, so it doesn't sound like my thing.

Re: At The Drive In, I grabbed "Relationship of Command" on Mark's recommendation and was mildly pleased. It is more straightforward than Mars Volta, but it's also more straight-ahead "punk." What irks me most about it is that Cedric's vocals are very different - much more raw, less melodic. I suppose that works well in the punk ethos of ATDI, but I much prefer the more emotive vocals of Mars Volta.

"Relationship of Command" is all I've heard from ATDI, though, so again I'm not too familiar with them.

- Chris

Jul 28, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #63 of 66
PS I was asked to describe this album to someone, and had a hard time doing it, but I was pretty proud of the way I described the lead singer: "...sort of a male version of Bjork..."

Jul 28, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #64 of 66
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Loved Cicatriz ESP.

Jul 29, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #65 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Hey, good call on this, Chris, picked it up, loved it. Also snagged a copy of the Tremulant EP.

So what's the scoop with At The Drive-In and Sparta? Which band or band's albums do they sound more like? Are any of these earlier bands/albums worth getting, based on like Mars Volta?

well, i own every ATDI album (EP and LP), and i like Sparta alot more than I do The Mars Volta. TMV sounds too experimental to me. sparta is led by jim ward (brother of the "sound manipulator" that died) and it stays more consistent to ATDI. they put on a great show as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back