The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium = GREAT
Jun 29, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #31 of 66
I'll admit i downloaded a few songs off of the cd. I went to bestbuy last sunday to pick it up and they didn't have it in (not sure if it came out that tuesday or not). I ended up getting sparta's wiretap scars to hold me off for a while.

I kept listening to those mp3's though but i didn't think i got the full effect of the music with my ksc35's... so i finally put aside a little from my check for that week, went to the headroom page and finally ordered the grado SR60's (overnight of course). I've been breaking them in since friday.

Yesterday i finally went to a real record store and got the mars volta cd in it's entirety.

It's easily the best cd i've heard this year. It's gonna be a looooong time before i decipher a quarter of these lyrics.

Jun 30, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #32 of 66
Good news all!! thecomatorium.com has posted the complete lyrics to de-loused.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

"GSL is pleased to announce that we will be releasing the deluxe double-LP version of the upcoming full-length release from THE MARS VOLTA entitled "De-Loused in the Comatorium". Release date for the vinyl is currently set for September 8, 2003. Additionally, the complete lyrics/story of "De-Loused..." will be available for mailorder in booklet form sometime in July. Sorry, we can not yet accept preorders for this. As soon as an arrival date is made available to us, we will post it on this site."

HEART ATTACK!

Jun 30, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #34 of 66
OMG this album kicks total ass.
-Mag

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:29 AM Post #35 of 66
I figured it would end up being the next "OK Computer."

Fugazi, yeah, everyone needs a Fugazi album... but make the first "The Argument" otherwise the risk is run of being scared off by their eccentricities.

Jun 30, 2003 at 12:29 PM Post #36 of 66
I do like this album, but I'm not as stoked as most of you are about it. Inertiatic ESP (track 2) I really like alot. I've only had a couple listens though, so maybe the weaker tracks will start to grow on me more.

Jun 30, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

waylman said...

I do like this album, but I'm not as stoked as most of you are about it. Inertiatic ESP (track 2) I really like alot. I've only had a couple listens though, so maybe the weaker tracks will start to grow on me more.

Seconded. It's not bad, certainly an interesting listen, but it's not really making me want to hit the repeat button.

Jun 30, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Hahaha. Wow. Sometimes Pitchfork are right on the money (see Broken Social Scene), and sometimes... they're SO wrong.

Oh well!

- Chris

Tell me about it. This guy writes some good reviews and other times leaves me confused. He gave Tool's Lateralus 1.9 (What?), Destiny Child's Writings on the Wall a 7.1 (better than Tool and Mars Volta eh?), and Kid A a 10 (this gets a 10 on 'Fork?). Strange fella.

Anyways, I'd give the Mars Volta a 8.8 on my scale. Anyone else dislike the bongos on Televators? The mp3 I got months ago sounded much better.

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #41 of 66
Why are there two covers, and is there any other differences between the two?

(I'm hoping to hear the answer, "actually, both covers are in all CD's, only one is chosen as the frontpiece", because I'm a big fan of Storm Thorgerson.)

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
(I'm hoping to hear the answer, "actually, both covers are in all CD's, only one is chosen as the frontpiece", because I'm a big fan of Storm Thorgerson.)

You're right on the money.
wink.gif

Both are included; just flip the booklet over to see the other.

- Chris

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #43 of 66
I just got my CD today and have this to say: This is definitely one of the best albums I've ever heard. I ordered the new Radiohead with it and haven't touched that...I mean, who needs Radiohead when De-Loused is such an amazing album?
smily_headphones1.gif

Truly superb. 5/5, 10/10, and I'm only liking it more each listen...

Jul 5, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #44 of 66
I downloaded the album to give it a listen after everyone was raving about it.

I bought it yesterday.

It's a tough call for the best album I have purchased this year (Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai are all on my list...) but DAMN this is fine stuff.

The sound quality is great as well. Mastering is really well done, I love it when I can crank the volume to 12 and not have to worry about my ears bleeding from strident highs.

Course, this album has so much energy and the gain set so high on the recording, I can only get to 9:30 without ringing in my ears...

but yeah...this album tops the charts for best album of the year and in the top ten of best album I've purchased in the last 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back