The "luxuries that I give up to save some money" thread.
Oct 2, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #16 of 136
I don't smoke.

I drink a little but I'm pretty sensible compared to the rest of the mid-20's bracket in England, and even then it's not weekly or something I need to do to have a good time, which saves a lot of money. Establishments are legally entitled to give you tap water for free here, which saves a few quid on mineral water. I also never get into either buying rounds, or buying random girls drinks (chode move!), even if they ask (my sister used to go out with no money just because she knew she could get randoms to pay for her all night, lol).

I never buy magazines now as using Reeder on my iPhone (RSS feed synced to Google Reader account) brings me all the relevant information I want, as well as the usual website browsing and forum posting. I don't have a car, although I would like one, but I would be following Uncle Erik's model rather than getting anything too flash.

Put media I want in my Amazon basket and move it to the 'save to buy later' area. Then, I check in now and again and it tells you what has gone up/down in price and by how much. A very easy way to nab things like CDs and BluRays even cheaper than the usual online retail prices. I also rarely buy things on release unless they come out cheap to start with, e.g. I want Star Trek on Blu Ray but it's still £17, and I'll wait until it hits that £10 mark a lot of the other BD discs go for before I grab it.

Look for good deals/buy used on A/V equipment. I got my TV at clearance prices purely because it was a 'last year' model, even when the series that replaced it was inferior. Ditto for my Blu Ray player (even made it Region Free, for free!). I got my DAP used off eBay via a Head-Fier selling there for less than new. I will probably look to get as much of my audio rig 2nd hand as possible, although some things like the DAC I want (the Yulong one) aren't too much of a hit to put me off. Forums with members buy/sell/trades are always great for this, as there's more or less a forum for every interest or craft you can imagine. I know plenty of small-time buy high-quality guitar builders, for instance, and could get a custom made instrument for less than a high-end retail one that would blow it out the water.

Avoid impulse buying.

Annually go through my wardrobe and sell anything I never wear/fallen out of love with on eBay. I rarely fail to sell and if not, then it just goes to the charity shop. I also always try and sell anything I want to get rid of, either via eBay or through general Facebook/forum posting. I also take care to check postage prices for the weight of the package so that I'm not under-charging, or over-charging excessively. When buying clothes, although I like to be fashionable I still try and look for stuff in the sales online, especially for things like casual/home wear.

When buying food, especially fresh, get stuff that's in season since it'll be cheaper, and don't get seduced by deals unless you actually need the stuff and are going to eat it. Avoid wasting food by using up leftovers for lunches or chucking it in the freezer. It's worth learning how to throw something together yourself quickly rather than spending way more for prepared stuff too, although obviously sometimes convenience takes priority. Takeaways kept to a minimum!

Work out at home, it's far cheaper if you get the right equipment (i.e. free weights, kettlebells, a chin up bar, something to put on your feet to jog with) and although it does take up a little room, it costs a lot less than a gym membership and you avoid the usual problems of it taking up travel time, waiting your turn for things and getting annoyed with posers who flex in the mirror but never work on their legs, or middle aged women spending hours on cardio machines while talking about how much cake they'll eat when they're done.

I ride a bike to work rather than get the bus.

That's all I can think of right now!

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 136
I work seven days a weeks and buy used gear when I can.

"What, you're taking a day off.  Who died and made you rich?"

biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #18 of 136
I drive a 1995 corolla with over 200,000 miles on it.  My entire audio rig, coffee gear, and mechanical watch collection + motor vehicle still comes out to less than the cost of what most college students drive alone. 

It's all about priorities
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #19 of 136
I sell off everything I don't need or use to recover some money. I try my best not to buy on impulse. I hardly drink alcohol although every now and then I do enjoy a cold beer, and I don't smoke. I avoid going out to eat as much as possible, although I do give in sometimes. I bring lunch to work daily, since the only cheap option is mcdonald's which still comes in at around $6-9 per meal. 

Recently, I just sold my entire PC and shifted my focus to using just a laptop. It uses less power and it saves me money on electricity
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll try to come up with more.

Oct 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #21 of 136
Wow. $6-$9 for Mcdonalds? I'm glad I don't live in New York...

I live in the Southwest, and I can get a decent meal at a sit-down place for $4. Granted, that's an a la carte selection (two tacos or a green chili smothered burrito, for example), but it's still plenty of food.

These days, the biggest way I'm saving money is that I'm running out of stuff to spend it on. I'm mostly a videogame/anime fan, and I've got a big enough backlog in both to not really want anymore (unless I find a great sale...) Once I have the LCD-2, I'll be at the end-of-the-line as far as headphone stuff goes, I already own my car and motorcycle outright, and my student loans are nearly paid off.

I guess that I could start saving for a house... I can't rent rooms for the rest of my life.

Oh, and I haven't watched TV-on-TV for about 5 years now. I hate commercials, so it seems silly to throw away $50 a month for a cable plan to have those things blare at me when most of what I want to watch is available online via legit streaming services, and a cheap dedicated HTPC lets me watch them all on my big screen. I also reduced my cellphone bill to about $15/mo by getting on a family plan.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #22 of 136

I am the same way with TV, nothing really great is on TV, and anything I do want to see, I can watch on hulu or netflix..or even the channel's own website.

and yea, Mcdonalds is expensive here. They charge you an eat in tax, or a take out tax....its ridiculous.
Quote:
Wow. $6-$9 for Mcdonalds? I'm glad I don't live in New York...

I live in the Southwest, and I can get a decent meal at a sit-down place for $4. Granted, that's an a la carte selection (two tacos or a green chili smothered burrito, for example), but it's still plenty of food.

These days, the biggest way I'm saving money is that I'm running out of stuff to spend it on. I'm mostly a videogame/anime fan, and I've got a big enough backlog in both to not really want anymore (unless I find a great sale...) Once I have the LCD-2, I'll be at the end-of-the-line as far as headphone stuff goes, I already own my car and motorcycle outright, and my student loans are nearly paid off.

I guess that I could start saving for a house... I can't rent rooms for the rest of my life.

Oh, and I haven't watched TV-on-TV for about 5 years now. I hate commercials, so it seems silly to throw away $50 a month for a cable plan to have those things blare at me when most of what I want to watch is available online via legit streaming services, and a cheap dedicated HTPC lets me watch them all on my big screen. I also reduced my cellphone bill to about $15/mo by getting on a family plan.

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #23 of 136
gsilver, McDonald's is expensive over here in LA, too. Most combinations will get you to $6 with California's heavy taxation.

As for disposing of spare money, a house is a good idea. Though consider picking up a duplex. Live in half and rent the other. The prices are a little higher than single-family, but the rent from a duplex can make it cheaper. You'll also get a lot of tax benefits from being a landlord.

I completely agree with you about TV. I turned it off in 1999. Partially a dispute with the cable company (I paid them what they wanted and told them to turn it off) and getting sick of the "news" being 90% celebrity coverage. I've probably saved $6,000-$7,000 since by not having a cable bill.

Though I am excited about getting a TV again - haven't had one for about seven years. The flat screens should get cheap after Thanksgiving. I plan to pick up the new AppleTV and stream Netflix for $10 a month. Am really looking forward to this, as well, because I haven't seen too many movies lately.

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 136
Since I don't drink/smoke/chew and have been working on giving up soda and never cared for coffee/tea, I save a lot of money that would otherwise be spent on this stuff. I also work in the field minimum 50% of the year and during that time, all expenses are covered by my employer so that's 50% of the year I don't have to worry about personal expenses, so I actually save a pretty good amount. However, my biggest vice is collecting books and I can spend more money than I care to every week buying books. I've come to save money on this vice by digging around on great online websites like thriftbooks.com and searching my local used bookstores for good quality used copies of books and manage to save anywhere from 50-80% of the typical cost of books by doing this.

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #25 of 136
im a full time volunteer. i get $100 a month for necessities, but i have no bills.  The only way to afford anything is to sell personal items on ebay.  Its taken me since february but i have enough for a jh3a.  i buy nearly everything i can used.  generic, bulk, going without.. whatever I can think of to squeeze more out of a buck.. whatever it takes to bring me closer to the sweet sweet jh3a :wink:.   I also get alot of my necessities bought for me which reeeally helps.
obviously no tv, drugs, alcahol, tobacco, or anything else like that. 

i ask people for their old stuff, and sell it on ebay.. especially rich people's stuff... that helps a lot sometimes too.

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #26 of 136
Smoking. $10 a pack in NYC was too much.

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #27 of 136
Smoking. $10 a pack in NYC was too much.

Yeah, well trying to keep up with the Jones on Head-fi ain't exactly cheap either.

eek.gif

J/K

(Couldn't resist.)

Congrats on quitting, if that's what you did.  At ten bucks a pack and smoking a pack-and-a-half a day, smoking get's spend-y, real fast.  Although my wife smokes, I vote yes every time an election comes along putting more taxes on a pack of cigarettes.

L3000.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #28 of 136
I've been busting my butt to find ways to make sure I got food to take to work. I'm gonna have to be creative to find a good way to take tomato soup to work. I think I have perfectly sealing tupperware somewhere. Soup, bread, and cheese works out to about 6$ for 2 dinners. And if I make just a bit more and take it to work with me (adding milk adds more awesome and makes it "bigger") I save at least 5$ on a delivery lunch. So a good deal all around. Feeding 2 people 2 nights, and 1 person for lunch, for 6$. I can live with that. Not quite as big a value as other possible meals but I'm content not to give up every bastion of dietary normality. Ramen every day is just too much.

Shin Ramyun every day is another story. I could eat that daily and be happy.
smily_headphones1.gif
Granted it's 10x more (at 1$ or so a package).

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #29 of 136
mason jars are your friend

i used to make a huge pot of "stew" ..enough to last for days or weeks.. jar it up for my meals at work, and sometimes even freeze some.

i ate that way for a while.. if you dont mind eating the same thing for a week or so at a time it works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back