The "luxuries that I give up to save some money" thread.
Oct 6, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #31 of 136
Regarding the lunches. I dunno if you can torrent the programs or order the books on Amazon, but there was a series on the BBC here in the UK called Economy Gastronomy, that was all about saving money on food whilst making good-tasting stuff in such a way that you only had to do serious cooking one day of the week for a large main dish, and the leftovers would tumble down into lunches and other recipes through the week, with any other cooking being quick and easy.

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #32 of 136
hah, forgot to mention food. When you are buying all natural, grass fed, vegan, organic, local, free range, (some other marketing term) products, they get very expensive! Though, I have to say I am a fan of those products. Who needs Mcdonalds when they cost just as much as the healthier options (or even more, when you are talking about meals from home).

Unfortunately, I am so lazy that I cant think of great meals to prepare at home. Any suggestions?

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #33 of 136
what type of food do you like?

i am a big fan of stir fry dinners, but i can eat just about anything.

Quote:
hah, forgot to mention food. When you are buying all natural, grass fed, vegan, organic, local, free range, (some other marketing term) products, they get very expensive! Though, I have to say I am a fan of those products. Who needs Mcdonalds when they cost just as much as the healthier options (or even more, when you are talking about meals from home).

Unfortunately, I am so lazy that I cant think of great meals to prepare at home. Any suggestions?

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #34 of 136
Over here in Los Angeles, I have an outdoor TV antennae and I get over 60 channels and I never pay a cable bill.

That has saved me probably saved me $9,000 over the past 15 years.

I have a house with a front and back lawn and I do my own grass cutting. Saves me $50 dollars a month. Probably another $9,000 over the past 15 years.

I own a house, not a condo or townhouse, saves me $100 - $300 a month for not paying Home Owners Association fees. Probably saved me $30,000 over the past 15 years.

Wow, I must be rich by now!

I don't blow it on audio gear, I do buy what I want, but I find it more fun to read about it than actually having it.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #35 of 136
...but I find it more fun to read about it than actually having it.

Is that anything like reading the articles in a Playboy or the act of a tortured mind inflicting audio pain on one's self?

blink.gif

But yes, once you're all geared up, other than listening to some kick butt sound, it does become somewhat unexciting or boring.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #36 of 136
I think it is a good analogy, but I can't relate with dating a girl that looks like a playboy model.

Most of dates look like my friend's ugly sister.

In that case, I would rather look at the picture in the magazine.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #37 of 136
I think it is a good analogy, but I can't relate with dating a girl that looks like a playboy model.

Nor I, but think about the boring part for a moment.  How many guys, dating top tier gals, end up stepping out on them?  I'd say that's proof positive of the, "It becomes boring" part.

In that case, I would rather look at the picture in the magazine.

Yet we need that physical contact and that's why one ends up buying something (making a commitment) to plug their headphones into.

blink.gif

Okay, let's leave that one alone.

ph34r.gif

Now that you've made a commitment, purchased, burned in and are now listening to your acquisition, the thrill of the hunt is over.  Aside from enjoying and listening to the music if you're not gear rolling.......now what?

L3000.gif

All I can come up with is buying new music and tweaking the system when you can so as to keep the thrill alive.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #38 of 136
Here's the secret: learn to want less.
The less you want, the more money you have to spend on the things you really want. You become richer with the same income. Like many of you, I gave up TV years ago. It didn't take long before I bought a classical guitar that I never could've afforded before with the money I would've spent on cable bills. etc., etc.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #39 of 136
Well, currently I'm trying to give up store bread, because of all the chemicals and preservatives. I'm trying to make my own bread at home every week, but I have no motivation!

I'm going to switch to prepaid cell phones next week. Currently pay $80 a month. Now want to pay $100 a year.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #40 of 136
I wish there was a way to go prepaid with a smartphone. Currently $60 a month and not worth it. I think $20-$30 a month for a cell is better.

Maybe Verizon will knock some sense into AT&T when they get the iPhone.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #41 of 136
Yes, Erik, I agree. I would definitely love that too. I mean, my parents certainly don't like the concept of paying $60 just for one phone, as the $80 is the family plan. I would love to get a smartphone. But then again, the more I think about it, if I had a smartphone, I'd just be spending more time with minigames, and getting "connected" with people online. Not having a smartphone or texting allows me to see people face to face more often, and to hear their voice. I have since quit using facebook and aim. 

Also, the economy has forced people to scale back their purchases. I have recently sold some things (a couple of dvds, among others). I sold a Z680 set (which frankly aren't so good) for $70. I bought them 2yrs ago before I discovered head-fi for $40, so I used it for a couple of years, and I still made a profit. I have since quite videogames too, I hate staying at home in front of a screen, and it cost me money too! But then, I tried to focus more on expensive hobbies like photography and headphones. I have convinced my parents to cancel the cable subscription, and we are saving $80 a month! We are getting along fine, because we share a netflix-instant watch subscription with our cousin. I don't know if its legal, but it sure saves money (and its better than pirating).

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 136

Quote:
Well, currently I'm trying to give up store bread, because of all the chemicals and preservatives. I'm trying to make my own bread at home every week, but I have no motivation!

I'm going to switch to prepaid cell phones next week. Currently pay $80 a month. Now want to pay $100 a year.

Well, I tried making the bread. I burned down the oven...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back