The long and winding road... to endgame: MSB Premier, Riviera AIC10, HF Susvara.
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #61 of 195
Yes I did buy everything but either bought used from here or from dealers that gave me heavy discounts. The Oor will definitely liven up the bass on the Susvara, although as many have said the Susvara is not a bass heavy HP. But for my tastes it has more than enough, especially with the Oor. To give you a point of reference, I thought it sounded really bad out out of the Matrix Mini Pro, then better out of the A90, then better still out of the Naim Atom and finally when I got the Suvara/Enleum I was like "Oh ok THAT's how it's supposed to sound like!"
High end HFMs have an extraordinary amount of bass and sub bass, even when compared with LCDs. Something is probably lacking in your electronics.

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #62 of 195
High end HFMs have an extraordinary amount of bass and sub bass, even when compared with LCDs. Something is probably lacking in your electronics.
I agree, and the reason I kept it is it is not lacking for bass in any way. What I was saying instead is that, compared to say the LCD-5, they don't emphasize bass as much...

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #63 of 195
I hope my Moon Audio Silver Dragon will have some of the effect that your Lavricables did and that it's not too bright a sound. I'm sensitive to treble. I've also ordered the Black Dragon in tandem in case the silver is gets too bright for my taste. Have you considered upgrading to the Danacables Lazuli Nirvana or Reference for your Susvara?

Damn, I guess I'll have to take it one at a time. So Oor/Hypsos first. Although you are also making Enleum sound attractive and it's dangerous for my financial health lol.

One question: I see strangely that the Enleum doesn't have a 4-pin XLR output on the front. Is it only single ended 6.3mm and cannot go balanced? That is a fatal flaw for me if that, since I am planning to run the whole chain balanced.
I really think the Oor/Hypsos is all you need. The Enleum is a bit better but 2X the price better? No way. BTW the single ended output is not an issue, it sounds just as good if not better than balanced outs on the other amps.

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #64 of 195
I really think the Oor/Hypsos is all you need. The Enleum is a bit better but 2X the price better? No way. BTW the single ended output is not an issue, it sounds just as good if not better than balanced outs on the other amps.
Oh okay so it really doesn't have a balanced topology or balanced output, what is the other output underneath the 6.3mm output, is it 4.4mm? I see that choosing the gain (V1 vs V2) is also not that straight forward, there is not switch on the front panel and you need to hold down buttons on the remote to fussily switch the gain.

The reason why I ask is that my DAC is balanced, so I want to run the entire rig in balanced not to squander the potential.

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #65 of 195
Oh okay so it really doesn't have a balanced topology or balanced output, what is the other output underneath the 6.3mm output, is it 4.4mm? I see that choosing the gain (V1 vs V2) is also not that straight forward, there is not switch on the front panel and you need to hold down buttons on the remote to fussily switch the gain.

The reason why I ask is that my DAC is balanced, so I want to run the entire rig in balanced not to squander the potential.
I was running the Enleum out of a balanced Holo Spring 3 and heard no loss in sound quality vs the balanced Oor. Switching to high gain is not hard and it's a one time thing, then it just sticks.

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #66 of 195

I've also got an Enleum and an Oor stack. One thing I can say is that the Oor stack sounds about ready to go right out of the box; the Enleum, not so much - after about 50 hours of break-in, I compared the two and found the Enleum lacking in every department, but was informed that it should have at least 100 hours of break-in, so I'm just having it run through headphones and I'll do another comparison at the end of the month - meanwhile I'll enjoy the Oor!

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #67 of 195
I was running the Enleum out of a balanced Holo Spring 3 and heard no loss in sound quality vs the balanced Oor. Switching to high gain is not hard and it's a one time thing, then it just sticks.
So if all my cables are now terminated in balanced 4-pin XLR, do I need to switch to single-ended 6.3mm cables or just use an adapter? I don't want to get single-ended terminated cables just so I can try / use Enleum ...
I've also got an Enleum and an Oor stack. One thing I can say is that the Oor stack sounds about ready to go right out of the box; the Enleum, not so much - after about 50 hours of break-in, I compared the two and found the Enleum lacking in every department, but was informed that it should have at least 100 hours of break-in, so I'm just having it run through headphones and I'll do another comparison at the end of the month - meanwhile I'll enjoy the Oor!
That's surprisingly disappointing to hear that the Enleum is not impressing you like all the rave reviews out there, what headphones are you running the two amps out of? Care to share your personal impressions of the Oor stack?

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #68 of 195
So if all my cables are now terminated in balanced 4-pin XLR, do I need to switch to single-ended 6.3mm cables or just use an adapter? I don't want to get single-ended terminated cables just so I can try / use Enleum ...

That's surprisingly disappointing to hear that the Enleum is not impressing you like all the rave reviews out there, what headphones are you running the two amps out of? Care to share your personal impressions of the Oor stack?
Please don't be disappointed based on my reactions; It didn't impress me because I had a lot more breaking-in to do on it - I am making no judgement at all right now and won't for several more days of running it. I have no doubt that it will be splendid once it's where it should be....

The Oor stack rocks with Susvara, LCD-5, or Utopia - plenty of big, full, impactful sound, and I listen to rock and reggae. And I'm using an MSB Analog DAC....

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #69 of 195
I can tell you that in my decades of being in this hobby I have never had a piece of equipment that was lacking in all areas at 50hrs and that somehow magically transformed to fantastic sounding status after 100, 200 or 300 hrs.

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #70 of 195
I can tell you that in my decades of being in this hobby I have never had a piece of equipment that was lacking in all areas at 50hrs and that somehow magically transformed to fantastic sounding status after 100, 200 or 300 hrs.
Well, you just are no real audiophile. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #71 of 195
Feb 24, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #73 of 195
For me Susvara was definitely something that improved massively overtime. I think it has something to do with break in of the drivers and changing the cable. I was already thinking about selling it, it was lifeless, flat, muddy and boring. I've noticed that it wasn't responsing to EQ when adding more than 6db bass shelf, and that got me thinking. After a few days running it with +12db :p bass shelf, and changing the cable in the meantime, it became a totally different set. It's still flat and neutral, but the drivers definitely gave in a bit, macro dynamics and bass came through with force, to a point when I can make it practically as impactful as the TC, which is the bass impact king.

Another breakin episde is with my Cayin HA6a which was noisy at first but over time it became less and less nosisy. It still has a noise floor on sensitive headphones but it's barely noticable now.

But yeah, for many pieces breakin doesn't really change that much.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #74 of 195
I'll find out then, won't I? And the 'lacking' was just in comparison to the Oor stack; before I did the comparison, I was quite happy with the sound.... And it didn't take me decades to discover that with at least one pair of headphones (LSA HP-1), the sound was so bad after only 50 hours I was ready to box it up and return it; the vendor said the break-in time was about 150 hours. He was not wrong. Sounded like a completely different pair of headphones after that. I've had speakers (Fritz Carrerra BE) that sounded waaaay better after a couple of months of break-in. So different people have different experiences; It's all good!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #75 of 195
I'll find out then, won't I? And the 'lacking' was just in comparison to the Oor stack; before I did the comparison, I was quite happy with the sound....
There is a big difference between lacking and comparatively lacking 🧐

Users who are viewing this thread

Back