The long and winding road... to endgame: MSB Premier, Riviera AIC10, HF Susvara.
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #181 of 195
I commend you on still using those stock hifiman cables... you try the Sus on the AIC's speaker taps?

Nov 9, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #182 of 195
I commend you on still using those stock hifiman cables... you try the Sus on the AIC's speaker taps?
Good point. Didn't write about this cause I wanted to keep the text to a manageable length but I did try aftermarket cables with the Susvara, and like all changes from stock (earpads, convolution filters, EQ), I eventually came back to the OG since it sounded more natural to me.

As for the speaker taps I did use them and they def sounded a bit better. But since they were repurposed for my actual speakers, I went back to the front connectors and it's totally ok.

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #183 of 195
Good point. Didn't write about this cause I wanted to keep the text to a manageable length but I did try aftermarket cables with the Susvara, and like all changes from stock (earpads, convolution filters, EQ), I eventually came back to the OG since it sounded more natural to me.

As for the speaker taps I did use them and they def sounded a bit better. But since they were repurposed for my actual speakers, I went back to the front connectors and it's totally ok.
Makes a lot of sense. Cable changes are just changes after you get to a certain level of electronics. Great systems sound great with stock power cords and Mogami/bulk cables. You might get better sound with a different cable but that’s never guaranteed regardless of how much the cable costs.

Nov 9, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #184 of 195
Makes a lot of sense. Cable changes are just changes after you get to a certain level of electronics. Great systems sound great with stock power cords and Mogami/bulk cables. You might get better sound with a different cable but that’s never guaranteed regardless of how much the cable costs.
Agreed. I learned once you get to a certain (admittedly high) level of gear, there is no right or wrong, just different flavors and what works for you.

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #185 of 195
I just got my Viva 845 not that long ago and love it. What do you mean by complicated to operate? It only has 3 switches lol.

Does get very warm, but so does my WA33.

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #186 of 195
I just got my Viva 845 not that long ago and love it. What do you mean by complicated to operate? It only has 3 switches lol.

Does get very warm, but so does my WA33.
It felt like that mostly compared to other amps I had at the time. You have to turn it on one way, wait a few minutes, then turn it back the other way, then it's finally on. That plus the excessive tube heat was what made me move on. But don't get me wrong, sound wise, I loved this thing to bits. And the looks, second to none. It's def one of the amps on the list I miss the most. But then again the Riviera has all the benefits of the Viva and almost none of the drawbacks...

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #187 of 195
It felt like that mostly compared to other amps I had at the time. You have to turn it on one way, wait a few minutes, then turn it back the other way, then it's finally on. That plus the excessive tube heat was what made me move on. But don't get me wrong, sound wise, I loved this thing to bits. And the looks, second to none. It's def one of the amps on the list I miss the most. But then again the Riviera has all the benefits of the Viva and almost none of the drawbacks...
Ah ok. I can see what you mean. For me I don't mind it. It's kind of like loading up a record. It's a process before you listen. I get excited when the tubes are warming up like "here it comes" lol.

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #189 of 195
Pretty awesome thread. Revisited since the big update to the first post and that was really cool to read plus the last few pages. Because I've maxed out $$$ wise on my stat system, I can't justify another equally expensive system for non-stats (would like to eventually put that into speakers when I have the right space), but the Riviera AIC-10 is probably the top amp I've seen such a consistent amount of feedback/praise for that has always peaked my interest. I really do hope I get to hear it one day, but at this point there's no doubt in my mind that I'd walk away really impressed.

a very enjoyable read. thanks for the update to the 1st post. have always wanted to post a journal of my audio adventures and experiences, but i worry it will be too long winded and ppl will get bored reading. yours is nice and sweet and to the point. I've not had the opportunity to try the AIC Riviera, but have always wanted to.

No such thing as too long winded lol. People will read and appreciate it.. but even better it will provide really valuable insight for others looking for gear, especially with everything that you've tried out. I love threads like this, because they tend to be filled with less bias geared towards trying to elevate a single, favored piece of gear as some sort of absolute best like most of the threads in summit-fi (just the nature of the beast, nothing against it), rather provide a lot of valuable insights on comparisons and differences across gear without the need to. You get to see a lot of valuable, transparent cross appreciation for gear in the same class, which is really helpful.

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #190 of 195
Wow what a journey to endgame! Hope I get there one day :) Does adding the Hypsos make a noticeable difference on easy to drive headphones in your experience?
Its been a while so take this for what it's worth but I felt the Hypsos did make a difference, but it also depended on which HP. For example I remember not feeling huge gains with the Utopia, but definitely noticed it with the Susvara. But then again the Susvara is so revealing of any source change...

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #191 of 195
Nov 10, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #192 of 195
Nov 10, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #193 of 195
You are so right about MSB customer service; any time I have a question, Vince gets back to me very quickly, and he is really great and helpful....
Vince is the best. He has taken half an hour to go over some random stuff with me on a Sunday by phone. Who does that? Wish more companies were like MSB in that regard.

Dec 5, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #194 of 195
Maybe a bit offtopic, but it was refreshing to see someone talking about the scaleability of the DCA stealth.
Really enjoying mine and trying to go to a higher end system.

Dec 5, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #195 of 195
Maybe a bit offtopic, but it was refreshing to see someone talking about the scaleability of the DCA stealth.
Really enjoying mine and trying to go to a higher end system.
Agreed. It scales almost as well as the Susvara which is saying something. Cant wait to try the new E3 on my chain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back