The Leben CS300XS Thread
Sep 8, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #1,936 of 2,299
I've bought my CS300 new some 4 years ago and I have never been disappointed and I still think it was worth every cent.
I use mine mainly to drive high efficiency speakers.
You have to bear in mind that people like Lars use the amp to drive headphones  that this amp is not designed for.
The Leben 300 series are integrated stereo amplifiers with a headphone output mainly suited for low imp headphones.

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #1,938 of 2,299
My CS-300 sounds fantastic and has no audible hum of any consequence. I also think it sounds terrific.

That said, if I had bought one new that did have a disturbingly high amount of hum, I for sure would have taken it back to the dealer. I'm glad mine didn't have a lot of hum because I bought mine used.

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,939 of 2,299
I owned the Leben CS300XS and then subsequently traded up to the Leben CS600. Both amps performed superbly with no hum straight out of the box. I did have an issue with the 600 where there was static coming out of one speaker but it was solved by simply removing and reinserting all of the tubes. I haven't touched those stock tubes since then.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,941 of 2,299
I've decided to pick one of these up if I can find one to serve as my hp/speaker amp. Is there a particular version/SN to avoid given these apparent hum problems? Is it linked to voltage? I've passed up a few tube amps recently because of their noise and had not heard that this was a problem with the Leben.

best,

o

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,942 of 2,299
As far as I'm aware only Lars has serious hum problems but i haven't read the whole thread.
My CS 300 had a little hum only noticeable with the volume completely open and no music on .
I have fixed that with a choke in the power supply  .
CS 300 - EU 230V

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,943 of 2,299
I wouldn't say the hum is loud in any way. It's just that it is audible when no music is playing or during low level passages of music. This might be because I come from solid state headphone amps that are completely silent. Also, I was surprised that it was there since I didn't see anyone mentioning it.

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #1,944 of 2,299
  I wouldn't say the hum is loud in any way. It's just that it is audible when no music is playing or during low level passages of music. This might be because I come from solid state headphone amps that are completely silent. Also, I was surprised that it was there since I didn't see anyone mentioning it.

I am surprised myself that you write that since the humming issue is well known and you find it in many threads. Just search for 'hum' in this very thread and you get 8 pages of posts, some dating back to 2010. Some tricks mentioned are replacing the tubes, fastening screws, replacing the the feet and using tube dampers. However they seem to work for some people but not others, or they mitigate the problem but do not eliminate it. The one sure solution that works is replacing the 1K resistor.

When I bought my Lebel unit I knew there was a risk of humming and indeed my unit hums slightly but I can't hear it when the music plays. The background is not pitch black but it is not annoying. The virtues of the Leben are elsewhere.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,946 of 2,299
  I am surprised myself that you write that since the humming issue is well known and you find it in many threads. Just search for 'hum' in this very thread and you get 8 pages of posts, some dating back to 2010. Some tricks mentioned are replacing the tubes, fastening screws, replacing the the feet and using tube dampers. However they seem to work for some people but not others, or they mitigate the problem but do not eliminate it. The one sure solution that works is replacing the 1K resistor.

When I bought my Lebel unit I knew there was a risk of humming and indeed my unit hums slightly but I can't hear it when the music plays. The background is not pitch black but it is not annoying. The virtues of the Leben are elsewhere.

Thanks -- very helpful. I will keep my eyes open for a CS300 without the offending resistor. Any and all version seem to be thin on the ground atm.

best,

o

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,947 of 2,299
Hello.

I want to report a mod that did wonders for my Lebel CS300XS: I replaced the feet by aftermarket audiograde feet. The aesthetics are similar to the standard feet. They feel more solid. The bass is much more controlled, this is something I was after. Also the image improves a bit.

I installed the feet bfly-audio 4tubes1 which I found reasonably priced. I guess other feet will work too.

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,949 of 2,299
Hi

I'm thinking of using the leben SPK output to drive some electrostatic earphones form Stax with a woo audio WEE.

Can anyone share some experience on the topic. Really appreciate some pointers before I get into it.

Thanks
Chris

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,950 of 2,299
@ Synthax

That's how I hear it too on my CS300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back