The Leben CS300XS Thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #1,876 of 2,299
Quote:
That is not a choke Anders, I found this image earlier in this thread

That's the image of my amp which i posted in April. Those are just cheap resistors.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #1,877 of 2,299
Quote:
That is not a choke Anders, I found this image earlier in this thread

I assumed it was a choke because it has been said that there is a choke in the CS300X model and there is no such box in the CS300. In the CS300 there is no box as in the picture I published and neither the resistors on you picture. Is the box just a cover for the resistors or what is in it?

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #1,878 of 2,299
Quote:
@ Raaf
The custum built CS300 doesn't have a choke and neither the standard, but - according to the article - the X version(s) has.

Exactly. That's why i posed the question.

Looks like Leben managed to build a 'Limited' version within the X version batch...which itself was a limited version!

Since I replaced the blown resistor in April (the middle resistor in the image above)...I have had zero hum in my amp.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #1,879 of 2,299
Quote:

I assumed it was a choke because it has been said that there is a choke in the CS300X model and there is no such box in the CS300. In the CS300 there is no box as in the picture I published and neither the resistors on you picture. Is the box just a cover for the resistors or what is in it?

It is not a box. It is just an L plate that cover the resistors and is screwed on to the chassis. i had removed it in the image above to show the damaged resistor.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #1,880 of 2,299

Top photo is my CS300 in unmodded state.
2nd is Bugleboy's CS300X
The resistors  that the 300 has in the bottom section have been placed in the top section in the 300X.

@ Bugleboy :
What is under the "box" at the right of the powertransformer ?
*Edit  I mean on the other picture

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #1,881 of 2,299
Thanks Raaf and BugleBoy! Looking closer at the picture I can see that it is a plate and not a box. I thought that was some goodie in the box that you only get with the X model. It is not so but there are still a few components of higher quality in the X model.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,882 of 2,299
Quote:

Top photo is my CS300 in unmodded state.
2nd is Bugleboy's CS300X
The resistors  that the 300 has in the bottom section have been placed in the top section in the 300X.

@ Bugleboy :
What is under the "box" at the right of the powertransformer ?
*Edit  I mean on the other picture

The big capacitor in the X version is mounted vertically and cuts through the chassis....as opposed being laid out horizontally (compare the 2 images above). The 'box' on the right of the transformer is just another L plate that covers this protruding capacitor.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,883 of 2,299
Quote:
Thanks Raaf and BugleBoy! Looking closer at the picture I can see that it is a plate and not a box. I thought that was some goodie in the box that you only get with the X model. It is not so but there are still a few components of higher quality in the X model.

The key differences I noticed are the coupling capacitors which I think are of better quality and the use of Riken resistors (the blue ones). I also think the big black capacitor in the X version is much bigger...hence needs to be mounted vertically (Not 100% sure about this though).

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #1,884 of 2,299
Originally Posted by BugleBoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The big capacitor in the X version is mounted vertically and cuts through the chassis....as opposed being laid out horizontally (compare the 2 images above). The 'box' on the right of the transformer is just another L plate that covers this protruding capacitor.

Of course....... logic 

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #1,885 of 2,299
Quote:
Thanks, I only had it switched to headphones.

I took it to the repair shop earlier today and I should have an answer Friday at the latest, hope its not something serious...

Ill let you know how it turns out.

So far I can only comment on the look, and the Leben cs300xs is really a beauty.

Hi,

I Forgot to get back to you guys. It was just two of the tubes that needed to be replaced. And it has been playing nicely since then :)

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,886 of 2,299
Quote:

I just tried to push the input jack a little to the side while it was playing and most of the sound returned, if I let go the volume goes down and the sound sounds distant. So maybe the input jack is loose.

And this was fixed with 2 new tubes ?

Ahh well, but good to hear your Leben performs well at last.

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,887 of 2,299
Quote:
The key differences I noticed are the coupling capacitors which I think are of better quality and the use of Riken resistors (the blue ones). I also think the big black capacitor in the X version is much bigger...hence needs to be mounted vertically (Not 100% sure about this though).

Coupling capacitors, I have been fiddlin' with mine, have 4 little siver-mica capacitors paralel at the moment.
But I would like to try some PIO's , I use them in the tube stage of my Dac as well and I like the balanced sound of PIO's .

And about the bigger Capacitor in the 300X  powersupply, aparently I wasn't the only one that noticed the hum :wink:

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #1,888 of 2,299
Quote:

Coupling capacitors, I have been fiddlin' with mine, have 4 little siver-mica capacitors paralel at the moment.
But I would like to try some PIO's , I use them in the tube stage of my Dac as well and I like the balanced sound of PIO's .

And about the bigger Capacitor in the 300X  powersupply, aparently I wasn't the only one that noticed the hum :wink:

Tube rolling has been great fun with the Leben over the past few years. I am curious to see how coupling capacitor rolling could spice it up even more. A contraption like the one in this image can make it more fun
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,890 of 2,299
That setup has really low WAF :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back