The Leben CS300XS Thread
Feb 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,486 of 2,299
Not sure, but I have had more than a few amps that hummed when I touched the volume pot, or even just the chassis, but were fine when I wasn't touching them.  But yours is NOT "fine" since it has the other strange balance issue.  I wish I could offer some help there but other than a tube problem it's hard to imagine what could be wrong.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,487 of 2,299
Tried swapping and reseating tubes today, didn't help. Also tried all the knobs again and it's only the balance that hums. Even the chassis is okay. 

Found yet another pretty big issue though. The far left knob (source select) isn't held in place. When I select either the far left or far right source it tries to keep turning to the left or right. I popped the top and tried again and it's obviously pulling on the cables attached to it. None of the other knobs overturn at all.

Just keeps getting better and better...

Quote:
Not sure, but I have had more than a few amps that hummed when I touched the volume pot, or even just the chassis, but were fine when I wasn't touching them.  But yours is NOT "fine" since it has the other strange balance issue.  I wish I could offer some help there but other than a tube problem it's hard to imagine what could be wrong.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,488 of 2,299
This sucks MT. I hope it does not take long to get corrected. 
mad.gif

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,489 of 2,299
Quote:
Tried swapping and reseating tubes today, didn't help. Also tried all the knobs again and it's only the balance that hums. Even the chassis is okay. 

Found yet another pretty big issue though. The far left knob (source select) isn't held in place. When I select either the far left or far right source it tries to keep turning to the left or right. I popped the top and tried again and it's obviously pulling on the cables attached to it. None of the other knobs overturn at all.

Just keeps getting better and better...

Dammm...I'm sorry to hear that MT...LEBEN has gone Bananas!!!

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,491 of 2,299
Wow...that's very distressing.  Good thing you bought it from a dealer. But still, I understand the disappointment. It's happened to me numerous times (although never with a Leben).

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #1,492 of 2,299
Well, judging by the previous wait, I'd say 2 months. Unless the guy at Tone can slap a solution together, but I might just request a new unit at this point and keep my dealer's floor model until then.

And if there's a single issue with the new one I'll return it and go with something like an LFD. 

On top of it all I think the new Amadeus might be causing static issues. Once the speakers and amp are in my house I'm going to home demo something else and see if I run into the same issues. Never notice them with my Scout.

Quote:
This sucks MT. I hope it does not take long to get corrected. 
mad.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #1,493 of 2,299
Quote:
Red Bull I've never needed the balance control on the Leben, but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I did use the bass boost when I had the HD800 :D

Thanks Skylab.  Yes, I often also tempted to activate the bass boost knob for some pop/rock or some thinly recorded songs as the bass effect is really 'pleasing', smoothen the high and vocals.
If I turn the knob to the right almost all the time, would it shorten the right side tubes? as it burn more than the left side?

I am sorry to hear the issue you encounter MT, hope you can find a solution for your Leben, but I would say, it's WORTH fighting for, since your unit is very new, maybe you can swap one to one.
Don't give up yet, if I can suggest.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #1,494 of 2,299
I know it's worth it. Listened to way too many amps before deciding to forsake it now, but if the replacement has issues I won't be waiting for a third. 

In the bass boost...It's another reason I decided on the Leben. Some people shun tone controls and I don't understand why on earth they would. There are way too many awful recordings that benefit from the bass boost. 

Heck, the only way Punk music is listenable to me is with some sort of low end boost. My copy of Raw Power sounded fantastic with the bass boost on. 

Quote:

Thanks Skylab.  Yes, I often also tempted to activate the bass boost knob for some pop/rock or some thinly recorded songs as the bass effect is really 'pleasing', smoothen the high and vocals.
If I turn the knob to the right almost all the time, would it shorten the right side tubes? as it burn more than the left side?

I am sorry to hear the issue you encounter MT, hope you can find a solution for your Leben, but I would say, it's WORTH fighting for, since your unit is very new, maybe you can swap one to one.
Don't give up yet, if I can suggest.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #1,495 of 2,299
Hopefully your second one is perfect!

I think I am one of them that avoid sound 'shaping' in the past too. I think because so many 'eq' really sound crappy with so much distortion, wooly, breaking bass, that's why I was kinda paranoid with tone control.
Is tone control and eq the same btw?

Some of songs that I find beneft from bass boost is Air Supply album, ABBA, electronic music like Groove Coverage sounds soooo good with bass boost on.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #1,496 of 2,299
They're all the same thing. Made to either boost or reduce a particular frequency band. 

Quote:
Hopefully your second one is perfect!

I think I am one of them that avoid sound 'shaping' in the past too. I think because so many 'eq' really sound crappy with so much distortion, wooly, breaking bass, that's why I was kinda paranoid with tone control.
Is tone control and eq the same btw?

Some of songs that I find beneft from bass boost is Air Supply album, ABBA, electronic music like Groove Coverage sounds soooo good with bass boost on.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,498 of 2,299
Quote:

No - the tube filaments are on fully regardless of what you do with the balance control. So fear not :wink:

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #1,500 of 2,299
hey MT, did I read correctly elsewhere that the dealer loaned you his demo and that one works fine for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back