The Leben CS300XS Thread
Dec 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #1,396 of 2,299
Thanks for the link. I though the Raytheon 5751's would sound good also RCA command and GE 5 Star. I'm considering trying out a matched quad of the Psvane EL84's (which I tried very briefly in my old Scott 222C).

Wondering if anyone has tried these tubes?

The seller purchased an upgarded fuse for (my now) Leben so that base is covered.

Wb

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #1,397 of 2,299
Quote:
Lucky you. My CS300XS has been one of the noisiest amps I've ever owned.

Edit: No sarcasm intended, btw. I'm seriously glad some folks haven't had any issues.

I think I have to agree on this, CS300 is noisiest amp I have, also among tube amps. That said, I haven't had any problem with hum with my normal sensitivity headphones. Perhaps it is because it is a 12/15 W amplifier that the ground noise becomes high. It is not important to me and sound quality is excellent.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,398 of 2,299
Alright guys so my Stax rig is officially out the door come mid this week. I've got it down to 2 speaker amps and the 300XS is one of them. I like the idea of getting a great head amp along with my great speaker amp. 

I have a few questions for you guys. 

How is reliability on newer units? Has anyone bought one really recently? Any particular issues?

Secondly, I realize that this is best paired with high impedance / somewhat inefficient headphones. In ya'll's (the users) opinion how are...HD800s and T1s with this amp?

Third...Any analog users that can comment on a phono stage they like with these amps? Within say...1.5k? I'd really like to own the matching Leben stage, but 3k + step up is a very hard pill to swallow. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #1,399 of 2,299
Strange bout the noise problem, I've paired my CS300 with LCD2, Grado RS1, GS1000, PS1000, Denon D7000, ATH AD1000, HD800, never experienced any noise.

I plug in my PS1000 and turn the volume to max now......dead quiet.   

My CS300 was manufactured around 2008~2009, special 11Ω version, I paid 1000USD for it, a new one cost about 1750USD here in Taiwan, much cheaper than US and Europe to my understanding.

I think CS300 is best paired with Grado, especially PS1000.
I didn't know Raytheon 5751 windmill getter is so good until I plug in PS1000, so much air, and the bass just go deeper and deeper and deeper......

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,400 of 2,299
I have the high wattage headphone output (on special order) for insensitive headphones, and it sound totally terrific with the HE-500, and great with the LCD's. With the HD650 there is a hum (due to the resistors used) - with the other resistors (normal versions) the hum goes away. 

Quote:
Alright guys so my Stax rig is officially out the door come mid this week. I've got it down to 2 speaker amps and the 300XS is one of them. I like the idea of getting a great head amp along with my great speaker amp. 

I have a few questions for you guys. 

How is reliability on newer units? Has anyone bought one really recently? Any particular issues?

Secondly, I realize that this is best paired with high impedance / somewhat inefficient headphones. In ya'll's (the users) opinion how are...HD800s and T1s with this amp?

Third...Any analog users that can comment on a phono stage they like with these amps? Within say...1.5k? I'd really like to own the matching Leben stage, but 3k + step up is a very hard pill to swallow. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,401 of 2,299
So the 'regular' version should be okay with sensitive cans? 

If there ends up being a noise with more sensitive cans I could see ending up with an HE500 since it's such a good value and my headphones will get significantly less head time once the speakers roll in.

Quote:
I have the high wattage headphone output (on special order) for insensitive headphones, and it sound totally terrific with the HE-500, and great with the LCD's. With the HD650 there is a hum (due to the resistors used) - with the other resistors (normal versions) the hum goes away. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #1,402 of 2,299
Yup. But it is imprtant to know that there are tqo versions around. 

Swapping resitsors can be done by anyone with a decent skill at soldering - posted details earlier in this thread (my info is from Leben directly) 

I am thinking of getting fitted a second TRS plug using the "high sensitive" resitors - to get the best of both worlds! :) 
Quote:
So the 'regular' version should be okay with sensitive cans? 

If there ends up being a noise with more sensitive cans I could see ending up with an HE500 since it's such a good value and my headphones will get significantly less head time once the speakers roll in.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #1,403 of 2,299
That's pretty nifty, but I don't think I'll be touching the inside of my amp for at least awhile. :D

I'll be sure to clarify with my dealer when ordering which version I'll be getting.

EDIT: Which version do you think would pair better with the HD800 or T1?

Quote:
Yup. But it is imprtant to know that there are tqo versions around. 

Swapping resitsors can be done by anyone with a decent skill at soldering - posted details earlier in this thread (my info is from Leben directly) 

I am thinking of getting fitted a second TRS plug using the "high sensitive" resitors - to get the best of both worlds! :) 

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,404 of 2,299
The high eff. version (standard) for sure - due to risk of humming with the low eff. version. 
Quote:
That's pretty nifty, but I don't think I'll be touching the inside of my amp for at least awhile. :D

I'll be sure to clarify with my dealer when ordering which version I'll be getting.

EDIT: Which version do you think would pair better with the HD800 or T1?

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,406 of 2,299
According to Tone Imports there's only one option / model as far as the headphone out goes right now. 

High power version is secial order, my friend. I have this from the Leben managing director, just two months ago. ,) Dealers only know that much, never trust your dealer on the details.

But the standard version is the one with resistors suitable for high efficiency headphones.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,407 of 2,299
High power version is secial order, my friend. I have this from the Leben managing director, just two months ago. ,) Dealers only know that much, never trust your dealer on the details.
But the standard version is the one with resistors suitable for high efficiency headphones.

They're the importer not a dealer. Not that it matters. I ordered the 300XS from my dealer today. My poor wallet. Also ordered my speakers...Harbeth HL5. Again, my poor wallet.

Was also told trade in later for a 600 was absolutely possible. So that might happen later in the year.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,408 of 2,299
Quote:
They're the importer not a dealer. Not that it matters. I ordered the 300XS from my dealer today. My poor wallet. Also ordered my speakers...Harbeth HL5. Again, my poor wallet.
Was also told trade in later for a 600 was absolutely possible. So that might happen later in the year.

1) No, trust neither the importer nor the dealer.

2) Congratulations! Be aware that the CS600 isn't necessarily a better head-amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back