The Leben CS300XS Thread
Sep 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,276 of 2,299
I love my CS-600. This amp is responsible for moving me from headphones to speakers. It is an incredible sounding amp. Since I got this amp my speaker use has gone from 5% to 95% of the time. No regrets.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #1,277 of 2,299
Congratz! I heard the CS600 gives a different kind of fineness to sound, would be very interested to hear one.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,278 of 2,299
Yeah looks great!  I would love to hear one of those someday.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #1,279 of 2,299
Quote:
I love my CS-600. This amp is responsible for moving me from headphones to speakers. It is an incredible sounding amp. Since I got this amp my speaker use has gone from 5% to 95% of the time. No regrets.

Great Clayton!!!  I've read a lot of good stuff about CS600.
For headphone usage, how would you say the difference between CS-300 (or XS) family to his brother? any different?

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #1,280 of 2,299
^ Thanks.

The CS-600 can use a variety of power tubes with the flick of two switches--[size=x-small] the 6L6GC and 6CA7 (EL34)[/size][size=x-small]. I am currently using its stock tubes of Sovtek 6L6GCW and Japanese made 6CA7 (first-stage tubes). I was very impressed when I had the CS-300XS. It floored me from the very first notes I played on it. I was also impressed when I first played the 600 with its stock tubes. But it sounded like it needed to open up a bit. The sound wasn't as expansive and it was a bit bland. But after 500+ hours, it has exceeded my expectations. I own many amps and have rotated them with the 600 and have always [/size]returned to the 600. Its efforts at reproducing acoustical music is the best. Especially among string instruments like guitars and violins. Female vocals are exemplary. But it also is able to review the flaws of poorly recorded (or dated) digital recordings even with my Havana MHDT tube DAC.

I am getting ready to sell off most of my equipment and am keeping about 4 amps. One of which is the Leben CS600.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,281 of 2,299
What are you selling?

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #1,282 of 2,299
Quote:
What are you selling?

I should have a list ready this weekend. It will be a daunting task. The reason is space in my small apartment. I need to reclaim space. If I don't clear out my inventory, they'll find my motionless body buried under many empty cardboard boxes (I've read stories like that). :wink:

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #1,283 of 2,299
Quote:
^ Thanks.

The CS-600 can use a variety of power tubes with the flick of two switches--[size=x-small] the 6L6GC and 6CA7 (EL34)[/size][size=x-small]. I am currently using its stock tubes of Sovtek 6L6GCW and Japanese made 6CA7 (first-stage tubes). I was very impressed when I had the CS-300XS. It floored me from the very first notes I played on it. I was also impressed when I first played the 600 with its stock tubes. But it sounded like it needed to open up a bit. The sound wasn't as expansive and it was a bit bland. But after 500+ hours, it has exceeded my expectations. I own many amps and have rotated them with the 600 and have always [/size]returned to the 600. Its efforts at reproducing acoustical music is the best. Especially among string instruments like guitars and violins. Female vocals are exemplary. But it also is able to review the flaws of poorly recorded (or dated) digital recordings even with my Havana MHDT tube DAC.

I am getting ready to sell off most of my equipment and am keeping about 4 amps. One of which is the Leben CS600.

I share your sentiment of how fantastic acoustic and live music sounds with the CS600. I've spent hours listening to Alison Krauss and the Union Station's Live album, just sounds so damn good with this amp/speaker (DeVore Nines) combo. I've also done a little tube rolling with the CS600 and I like what I'm hearing. I purchased my CS600 used and only heard the stock Sovtek tubes for a few songs before rolling in the 6p3se that Jeff Day mentioned sounds so good with the Leben. After spending a few hours of listening time with these tubes, I agree that they sound fantastic and are a heck of a bargain. Cryoset sells matched quads for $50-$60, not a bad deal.

I've also rolled in some Sylvania 6L6WGA 5932 tubes. Large brown base, short glass bottle, fantastic tubes. This and the 6p3se are my favorite so far. The Sylvania tube, to me, has a wider sound stage and better bass extension.

I was pleasantly surprised when I rolled in some new production JJ EL34Ls. I thought new production was suppose to be lacking? The JJ's were totally coherent, very tight bass, and clean sound. I have to spend more time with these, when listening to music with these tubes I had no complaints.

Next on my list of tubes to purchase are RCA 6L6GC black plates and maybe even some NOS Mullard EL34 if I can afford it.

Short story, if you have the Leben CS600 you should invest a few bucks into some good tubes, the Leben deserves it. Not that the Sovteks are bad by any means.

I also wanted to add that the CS300 and CS600 are some of the finest looking amps. I know we're all about the sound quality, but it doesn't hurt that these are some wonderfully eye-catching pieces of audio art.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,284 of 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by log0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Short story, if you have the Leben CS600 you should invest a few bucks into some good tubes, the Leben deserves it. Not that the Sovteks are bad by any means.

Thanks for the list of tubes to try. The Leben CS600 has redefined the "gutsy" sound like The Civil Wars. Wow.

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,286 of 2,299
Quote:

"Next on my list of tubes to purchase are RCA 6L6GC black plates and maybe even some NOS Mullard EL34 if I can afford it."

I swapped out the Sovteks for RCA blackplates fairly soon after acquiring the CS-600 and they provide for a much smoother, fuller and richer listening experience. I also replaced the first stage ampification tubes as well as the damper tube with NOS Sylvanias. I also would like to hear a quad of Mullards.

log0......do you hear a soft buzz with your CS-600 through your LCD-2's with no music playing?

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,287 of 2,299
Unfortunately I had to sell my LCD2s to fund my speakers/amp. If I ever do get back a pair of LCD2s I will let you know. Glad to hear you like the RCA Blackplates. If you also have the 6n3ce, have you had a chance to compare them?

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #1,288 of 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by log0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you also have the 6n3ce, have you had a chance to compare them?

I respect the opinions of Jeff Day but his recommendation to swap out new production Russian tubes for NOS Russian tubes never appealed to me since I have a pretty good idea that the 6n3ce's don't hold a candle to what is more than likely the best American 6L6 ever made, the RCA Black Plate. However, I'm fairly sure they sound better than the stock Sovteks and there is certainly nothing wrong with making incremental improvements.

When I use my CS-600 as a power amp with my Harbeths, there is no audible hum but when I pair the amp with either low or high impedance hp's, I hear a soft hum or buzz when music is not playing. This was the case with the stock tubes as well. I was just wondering what your experience has been with speakers and headphones using the Leben. Having gone though this entire thread, some owners experience silence when using headphones while others hear the buzz and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason why this is the case.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,289 of 2,299
Quote:

I respect the opinions of Jeff Day but his recommendation to swap out new production Russian tubes for NOS Russian tubes never appealed to me since I have a pretty good idea that the 6n3ce's don't hold a candle to what is more than likely the best American 6L6 ever made, the RCA Black Plate. However, I'm fairly sure they sound better than the stock Sovteks and there is certainly nothing wrong with making incremental improvements.

When I use my CS-600 as a power amp with my Harbeths, there is no audible hum but when I pair the amp with either low or high impedance hp's, I hear a soft hum or buzz when music is not playing. This was the case with the stock tubes as well. I was just wondering what your experience has been with speakers and headphones using the Leben. Having gone though this entire thread, some owners experience silence when using headphones while others hear the buzz and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason why this is the case.

Curious, what version of the RCA Black plates do you have? I've been trying to decide which variation to buy, the one with side getters or the double D bottom getters. I can't find a consensus as to what the differences are between each, which to me means they both should perform very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back