The Leben CS300XS Thread
Apr 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #1,156 of 2,299
Thank you!
I'm getting closer to them now.
But as I have no chance of trying my Audeze LCD-2 on a Leben. I have maybe 3000 kilometres no the nearest one.
I want to know as much as possible for I order one.
I just got some words from mr. Yoshi Hontani at the Leben company. He said:"Some people said CS-300XS is the best for LCD-2 and some people said
CS-300XS is not enough to drive LCD-2."
It would be nice to hear if there are any one out there who thinks that the LebenCS300XS is not enough to drive Audeze LCD-2 or LCD-3?

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,157 of 2,299
I think the Leben with the LCD-2/3 is incredible. it got louder than I would have ever wanted. I found that it would distort if I turned it up to 12, but my normal listening level was about 9, so their was plenty more room I didn't need. 

If I remember correctly they changed the Leben. Someone else could likely fill you in on all of this, because I don't remember much of it.. All I remember is that people with the "revised" version complained about it with the LCD-2. They may have adjusted the gain, but like I said, I don't remember. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,158 of 2,299
Which tubes you used in Leben when listening LCDs?  I have only used my Leben for HD800 and HE6.  The CBS7729/Amperex EL84 d-getter combo is just incredible.  These CBS7729 totally destroyed my other 12ax7/5751 tubes, which include amperex long plate d-getter, RCA red command and sylvania tirple mica black plates.  If you get a chance, give the 7729 tubes a try. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #1,159 of 2,299

Quote:
Thank you!
I'm getting closer to them now.
But as I have no chance of trying my Audeze LCD-2 on a Leben. I have maybe 3000 kilometres no the nearest one.
I want to know as much as possible for I order one.
I just got some words from mr. Yoshi Hontani at the Leben company. He said:"Some people said CS-300XS is the best for LCD-2 and some people said
CS-300XS is not enough to drive LCD-2."
It would be nice to hear if there are any one out there who thinks that the LebenCS300XS is not enough to drive Audeze LCD-2 or LCD-3?

I have a 2 month old Leben and had a LCD2r1 until last week. It was an AMAZING match and provides a lot of headroom for driving it. I usually listen at 10, by 12 it gets extremely loud and uncomfortable, but it doesnt clip or distort, at least not with my source.

Its a no risk blind buy

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #1,160 of 2,299
First I just must say that I really LOVE this Head Fi forum!!!!
I write some words........and get so much knowledge back. For someone like me,very much a novice in these matters,I couldn't live without your help.
I got some words from the Leben company about this:.
"As we exported two types of CS-300X(S), one has 0.8W output for Headphone
and the other has 1.0W, therefore, we guess 0.8W type is a bit weaker
for LCD-2.
All recent CS-300XS are arranged 1.0W headphone output, however, we
still are not 100% sure and would like to suggest you to try your
LCD-2 with CS-300XS before you purchas"

But someone just wrote me and said that:
"I really like the Leben CS300XS however when it comes to headphone outputs its really not for people who need/want to listen to their music loud.  Otherwise I love the combination."
So I get a little cunfused here.
On my Violectric HPA V200 I have to use the Gain thing on the back on the Amp,and put it on +12. And then I'm between 10.00 and 14.00 normally . Sometimes I can go all the way.
According to those who make it maximum loudness is +6/+12.
I know I have some hearing problems here,due to excessive listening for more than 40 years.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #1,161 of 2,299
If you need more volume than the CS300 can give from the LCD-2, this problem will not last very long, as you will soon be deaf.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #1,162 of 2,299
I guess that you're right.
I keep on hearing the same words from my woman and my daughter.
But it's kind of hard to not keep on walking that road.
It's so easy to just turn up the volume.
So far Violectric HPA V200 has enough strength.But it would be nice to hear what you say about that Amp?
But now I know what you think about Leben.. I've been waiting for words from you! They mean a lot to me.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #1,163 of 2,299
I've never heard the Violectric. But I think the LCD-2/3 and the Leben are terrific together, and I have for a long time :D

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,164 of 2,299
You'll have no problems with gain on that headphone. I'm at around 9:00 on dial and it's loud. As far as the wattage, that figure doesn't mean much without knowing into what impedance load that corresponds to.

Let's assert that he knew that you were talking about the LCD-2 and he quoted you on the appropriate impedance rating of 60 ohms. Since the sensitivity of the LCD-2 is 91 dB/1mW, at .8W you're looking at 100 dB, which is really loud (dBSPL = Sensitivity in dB/mW + 10 * LOG ( Pmax in mW)).

FYI, at one watt it's 101 dB, so you're not looking at a world of difference.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #1,165 of 2,299
At 100 dB, you start to do permanent damage to your hearing in just 2 hours, and that assumes you have no other loud noise exposure in that same day.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,166 of 2,299
I'm listening to Leben with Ref 7.1 as source, delicious .....
biggrin.gif
and that is only at 9 o'clock.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #1,167 of 2,299
Just a heads up for all Leben fans. I picked up an Altmann Tera Player DAP. It has an organic rightness and tonality that is very similar to the CS300. In fact, it reminds me of the Leben, but in portable form. If you see one used, it is definitely worth picking up. It's up there for me with the Leben as a prized possession.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #1,168 of 2,299

Quote:
Just a heads up for all Leben fans. I picked up an Altmann Tera Player DAP. It has an organic rightness and tonality that is very similar to the CS300. In fact, it reminds me of the Leben, but in portable form. If you see one used, it is definitely worth picking up. It's up there for me with the Leben as a prized possession.

Does it have the power to drive harder to drive headphones? How is it with sensitive IEM's?

May 8, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,169 of 2,299
I'm fairly interested in one of these as I'm also looking for an integrated tube amp for future speaker endeavors...

I've been looking at PrimLuna integrated stuff because of their recent good press, but then I remembered that Leben was well liked for their headphone sections as well as their speaker outs. 

Has anyone paired these with Zus or possibly some Quad 21s?

I think it'd be nice to get a headphone amp alongside the integrated I would need down the line. 

Oh, and to anyone that's heard both...Is the headphone section in the 300 different from the one in the 300XS? The XS seems to be the popular choice but price does jump up a few hundred dollars.

May 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #1,170 of 2,299
I didn't find any appreciable difference between the 300 and the 300XS with headphones. It's important to note that there is no headphone "section". It's just a switch that takes a different tap of the output transformer versus the one that goes to the speakers. But it's the exact same amp for headphones or speakers other than the impedance of the output transformer winding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back