The Leben CS300XS Thread
Mar 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #1,111 of 2,299
Thanks for the tip skylab, very useful for me as well!

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #1,112 of 2,299
Thanks to both of you! I checked out the website, but I got a bit confused regarding the stock lists. 6BQ5/EL84 was listaed as 20 tubes in stock, but the brand/version was not present in the list. Only a few selected tubes were displayed on the site. Am i reading it wrong?
blink.gif

And skylab, do you have a list of tubes you prefer in the leben? Both preamp and power tubes! From what I gather you're somewhat of an expert on the subject!
beyersmile.png

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #1,113 of 2,299
Lots of good choices.  I personally only tried and used vintage NOS tubes.  Of these I ended up setting on the Raytheon black plate triple mica windmill getter 5751 for the preamp tubes, and black plate Sylvania 6BQ5's for the power tubes.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #1,114 of 2,299
I can only get ahold of Philips marked Mullard EL84 and sylvania black plates. Which of the following preamp tubes would you bet on to go along with the power tubes? And are the Philips marked mullards as good as regular?

Siemens 5751 triple mica
RCA 5751 black plates
Sylvania 5751 Gold Brand triple mica
Sylvania 5751 double mica, vit text, grey plates, closed O getter
General Electric 5751, triple mica
Sylvania 5751, Gold Brand, gold pins, triple mica
General Electric, double mica, 5 stars

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,115 of 2,299
All of those preamp tubes should sound great.  I have used all of them except the Siemens, can't comment on that.  

It isn't enough to say "Philips marked Mullard".  Are they actually Mullard UK made? Or are they made by Philips in Holland? In either case by the way they are nice tubes.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #1,117 of 2,299
I have never had that problem on mine.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #1,119 of 2,299
The best my system has ever sounded.

The Linn + Leben + LCD2 combo is particularly heavenly and has the sound I've been looking for so long. So sweet but not syrupy, so detailed but not fatiguing, so heavy but not bombastic.

Not fair on the Wadia which hasn't broken yet, but enjoying it so much i don't really care.

What i love of the Leben: it has this unique hand made feel, has little quirks which adds to the charm, then seduces you with that music it makes without any effort at all. And i haven't tested it with speakers yet.

Need one last piece, a power conditioner, and ill be set for a while. I hope.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #1,120 of 2,299

Quote:

The Linn + Leben + LCD2 combo is particularly heavenly and has the sound I've been looking for so long. So sweet but not syrupy, so detailed but not fatiguing, so heavy but not bombastic.

Not fair on the Wadia which hasn't broken yet, but enjoying it so much i don't really care.

What i love of the Leben: it has this unique hand made feel, has little quirks which adds to the charm, then seduces you with that music it makes without any effort at all. And i haven't tested it with speakers yet.

Need one last piece, a power conditioner, and ill be set for a while. I hope.

I tried the CS300 with a LCD-3 and it was the single best headphone experience in my life. The sense of air moving and holographic soundstage this headphone produce with this amp is unbelievable. The LCD-2 was great, but the LCD-3 where on a whole new level IMO. I listened mostly to perfectly produced classical music which made the difference even bigger between the headphones though. When I listened shortly to poorer quality rock the edge was still with the LCD-3, but not as clear.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,124 of 2,299
Well, FWIW, that wasn't my opinion. But then I felt the differences between the two were very small, and less than the differences between tube complements.

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #1,125 of 2,299

I probably have an idea of what you're listening to. I had a Leben/Naim DAC combo that was just heavenly. Playing files through the USB stick on the Naim was so analog sounding, and paired with Leben, well, one can live with this setup for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back