The Leben CS300XS Thread
Oct 25, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #977 of 2,299

Quote:
Audeze LCD3 is your choice. 

Thanks, but... Lol, I guess I should have highlighted the portion of my post where it reads "mid-tier."  How about Grado PS-500 or AKG k702 or Sennheiser HD600?  Which of those would be the best match for the Leben?  Overall, believe it or not, I like the sound and feel of my Austrian AKG K240M but know that spending a few hundred dollars will probably put me into a sweet spot of more detail.  That's one of the reasons I'm curious about the k702.  But if other mid-tier options are better, I'm all ears...  :)

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #980 of 2,299
You're telling me! It's quite the chore, actually, and this is after I had the WA22, RWA AE and now the LF. I can't wait to hear the Leben, and make a final decision on the amp to keep. Then I'll be off head-fi until LCD-3 rev. 2 is announced.

Quote:
what really bothers me is to choose between a LF ot a leben.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #981 of 2,299

Quote:
Where can you purchase a Leben???

Oh, and Skylab, if you're reading and feeling generous answering a question; How do the Marantz and Leben compare from memory? Think the Marantz will tame the LCD3s?

The Marantz didnt sound quite as good as I hoped with the LCD-3.  The Leben is much better.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #983 of 2,299
Hello,
I recently bought an used Leben CS300XS and enjoy this little amp A LOT, both with my HD800 and also with a pair of Omega Super 8 Alnico speakes (Fantastic COMBO!!!).
My unit came with both tubes sets from Genalex (Gold Lion), so I guess that to improve on these I must go for premium NOS tubes... But I noticed that there is a brand called "TAD" that makes an EL84 with interesting "radical" specs, shorter and wider in size, etc... Did anyone tried these tubes branded "TAD" in a Leben? 
My concern is about the golden tube shield-bases inside the Leben won´t fit a wider tube...
Thanks,
Jose

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #984 of 2,299
The Gold Lion reissues are about the fattest tubes you can fit in, so I reckon anything fatter than those you can't fit them into the Leben.

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #985 of 2,299
The gold tube shield bases appear to be removable, and IIRC the ceramic sockets are mounted from the underside, inside the main chassis and would be fully usable without the shield bases.  I have several amps that contain only the ceramic sockets and functionally are quite sound.  I recommend unplugging the amp, removing the EL84 tubes and then carefully unscrewing and removing the gold tube shield bases.  You should quickly be able to determine clearance for wide tubes, but just about anything should fit without the bases.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #986 of 2,299
I can now confirm that the impedance switch DOES HAVE am effect on the headphone out. Listening to track 5 of Kay Yse's new album, with the Leben set at 4 ohm and 11 o'clock volume, I detected distortion with the LCD3.I turned the Leben off, switch it to 8 Ohms, then turn it back on. Voila! No distortion at all even I switch it to 2 o'clock. Also the sound becomes more focused and treble now more prominent. Looks like I have been underestimating the Leben, but largely because I don't listen pass 10 o'clock with the ED10 or LCD2 in the past, and that my speakers are 4 ohms. With LCD3 I turned up volume further and detected the problem with 4 ohm output. Suggest everyone uses 8 ohm setting for LCDs.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #987 of 2,299
I have noticed that with the LCD-3s, as compared to the LCD-2s, I have the volume up 1 more click on the Leben.  I had a similar experience on an Eddie Current amp at Canjam when I was comparing the 2s and 3s.

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #989 of 2,299
I am using a Wyred4Sound DAC2 with my LebenXS and it works great. It has a remote with volume, balance, and input switching(for the DAC).

"I've been considering selling my Phoenix and upgrade to a Leben CS300 to use with my LCD-2 and modded Denons.
I use it as a preamp as well though and I really like having a remote since I sit quite far away from the amp.
Today, I have a Paradisea+ DAC, so that needs to be upgraded anyway, but if I go for the Leben I need a DAC/Pre
with remote (I'm assuming it wouldn't be a problem to connect the Leben to a volume controlled output?).

So, does anyone here run a similar setup, or have you tested a DAC/Pre with your Leben that you would recommend?"

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #990 of 2,299
Finally got my hands on a CS300. First impressions were... not great to be honest.
Really thin sound. The fact that I have no proper source and had to go straight from
the computer (with a ESI Juli@ soundcard, but still) might have something to do with
that though. :)
Brought home the Compass from work, so now I have a Stello U3 -> Compass -> Leben.
At least it sounds more or less as it should... will of course upgrade the source ASAP,
I must have the crappiest DAC of any Leben owner :wink:

Anyway, got some issues with it that I hope you guys can help me with...

* About 10 seconds after turning on the amp, a hum appears in the right channel.
This is with no source connected at all, so it's definitely coming from the amp itself.
No change in the sound when changing the volume, it's a constant hum, not very loud,
but still annoying and clearly audible during quiet parts of the music.
I'm guessing this is down to bad tubes? It's a second hand unit, no idea how many
hours the tubes have done.

* There is also some hiss that is affected by the volume control. This is my first
tube amp, I'm used to the deep silence at all volumes from SS equipment. Is this
something I should get used to, or is this because of faulty tubes / a faulty unit?

* Lastly, any tips for decent tubes that aren't too expensive? Any good source 
for tubes besides eBay, that sells to Sweden?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back