The Leben CS300XS Thread
Jul 12, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #871 of 2,299
Jul 12, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #872 of 2,299
I swapped RCA cables, RCA port from my NFB-2 (cos I request to change the ACSS to RCA), but still the same.

Hmm, I guess I have to use the Balancer then.  I didn't have problem before with Darkvoice 337 because it was dual mono, so I have to adjust left-right separately anyway.
How often do you have to use Balancer with your amps?

I'll try mono next time, sounds like easier to set perfectly center soundstage.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #873 of 2,299
Quote:
This may be totally unrelated but it happens with me and my HD650 and DT990 600 ohms. Because my hearing isn't the same for both ears (unfortunately). I mean it's very close but my right ear picks up frequencies slightly higher than my left. I can tell this with symphony triangles and tambourines off in the distance--one ear picks up the nuances and shimmering sound of those instruments and the other (left ear) picks up just the striking of the instrument making the shimmer of the tambourine sound more like the closing of a high-hat from a drum kit.

So the conclusion is (for me at least), since the HD650 aren't as detailed as the DT990, the HD650 sound a bit off balance compared to the 990. I think the 990 frequency extension compensates for my slightly dulled hearing in my left ear. The same thing happens to the same ears when I switch the L/R cups on my ears.

So it's all in my head. :frowning2:

It make sense, maybe my left ear is more sensitive to certain to certain frequency.  I notice I always pick up phone with left ear, I just feel it more clearer than my right ear.

Quote:
http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-135&lang=en

Are there some kind of noise or hum audibly when Leben CS300x are used with the HD800 or others transparent headphones?

Nope, no hum with my LCD-2 and HD650, although I heard a very slightly buzz with the shop's Leben when no music is playing.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #875 of 2,299
My first one (a Japan 100V model) did as well.  My second two did not unless I had my awful kitchen dimmers on...

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #876 of 2,299
I can picture it now - Rob is in his Leben listening room yelling down to the kids "turn up the lights!"

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #877 of 2,299

Quote:
I can picture it now - Rob is in his Leben listening room yelling down to the kids "turn up the lights!"

I actually begged my wife to let me rip out the kitchen dimmers...to no avail...

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #878 of 2,299
Are there any dimmer systems that do not causes similar problems?

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #879 of 2,299
The San Francisco neighborhood I live in must be the den of hum-inducing gremlins for specific amps. Although my Leben and WA22 hum, the rest of my amps are dead silent. The quietest of all are the Decware amps. (How can an amp be quieter than quiet?
blink.gif
-- that word looks funny when you look at it too long.)

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #880 of 2,299

Quote:
Are there any dimmer systems that do not causes similar problems?

Unfortunately, according to my electrician, no.  And even plugged into a power line filter, the problem persists.  But it isn't just the Leben at all.  My subwoofers buzz.  I can hear a buzz through speakers in either of my speaker rigs.  Turn the dimmers off - all is well.  And this is even on my main hi-fi, which has its own dedicated 20A home-run circuit!

Quote:
The San Francisco neighborhood I live in must be the den of hum-inducing gremlins for specific amps. Although my Leben and WA22 hum, the rest of my amps are dead silent. The quietest of all are the Decware amps. (How can an amp be quieter than quiet?
blink.gif

My WA22 hums a little, too, even without the dimmers.  Like with all tube amps, this is more audible with high-sensitivity/efficiency headphones.  With the LCD-2 or HE-6, not audible at all.

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #881 of 2,299
Quote:
blink.gif

Do you mind to share a bit how the Leben sounds different with the WA22, this question also applies for Rob
biggrin.gif
, and other who may have WA22.
My combination of NFB-2 + Acrolink RCA + Leben + LCD-2 proven to be a little too lush to a level of too much weight at the vocal.
If I skip the NFB-2 and use my CDP DAC directly, the sound is more leaner, but to the expense of slightly more grain.
I'm curious how WA22 sound different from the Leben, WA22 look very nice too. 
I find Leben has a little bit of upper mid emphasize compared to my BCL, which is very flat, but timbre and attack is more realistic on the Leben.

What DAC do you guys use with your Leben?

Quote:
Unfortunately, according to my electrician, no.  And even plugged into a power line filter, the problem persists.  But it isn't just the Leben at all.  My subwoofers buzz.  I can hear a buzz through speakers in either of my speaker rigs.  Turn the dimmers off - all is well.  And this is even on my main hi-fi, which has its own dedicated 20A home-run circuit!

My WA22 hums a little, too, even without the dimmers.  Like with all tube amps, this is more audible with high-sensitivity/efficiency headphones.  With the LCD-2 or HE-6, not audible at all.

I'm about to say you have dedicated audio powerline but yet you still have hum.  Man! this dimmer is very powerful!  Luckily I don't have any dimmer around.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #882 of 2,299
I thought that the Leben was a little less lush than the WA-22, I tried it with both the 5998s and 7236.  I also tried a few different 6SN7s.  I like the WA-22, with the LCD-2, but this combo was a little much as opposed to the Leben.  Personally I thought the Leben was fantastic with the LCD-2.  I use a PS Audio DLIII as my DAC.  Unfortuantely, I kinda have to go by memory since I sold my WA-22, so I guess take this for what its worth, an opinion.

Cheers

beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #883 of 2,299
Wedge, what is your definition of "lush?"

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #884 of 2,299
Quote:
I thought that the Leben was a little less lush than the WA-22, I tried it with both the 5998s and 7236.  I also tried a few different 6SN7s.  I like the WA-22, with the LCD-2, but this combo was a little much as opposed to the Leben.  Personally I thought the Leben was fantastic with the LCD-2.  I use a PS Audio DLIII as my DAC.  Unfortuantely, I kinda have to go by memory since I sold my WA-22, so I guess take this for what its worth, an opinion.

Cheers

beerchug.gif

Thanks for your comparison, that helps me not to buy WA-22, you just saved my wallet
biggrin.gif
  I was very intrigue with the look and 2 watt output with 7236, but now maybe I give it a missed.
Seems like is is quite consistent with most of Woo 'house sound'.  I don't want an amp that's more lush than the Leben.
More comment on this comparison welcome.

Quote:
Wedge, what is your definition of "lush?"

To me, lush is something like smoothening of the sound, with proper weight, no sharp edges, but the detail is there, organic, more like watching the singer in a night club under smooth lightning, less accurate but more romantic, more pleasing to see, rather than under a bright spotlight, lean, clean, more accurate but more sharp edges. 
If that makes sense at all 
biggrin.gif
  that's my genuine expression from the heart.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #885 of 2,299
Definition from Headroom

Lush
Usually attributed to vacuum tube audio gear which produces a relatively large amount of even-order harmonic distortion. This type of distortion is often plesant to the ear, and produces a rich, warm, ambiance to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back