The Leben CS300XS Thread
Oct 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,997 of 2,299
  Lars you don't use the Hifiman adapter with the HE-6 to run it from the taps?

No, I just use 10 Ohm resistors in parallel. The HiFiMan adapter box also has resistors in series, which eats some of the power output from the amp - and "we" don't like that with a 12W amp ...

Just edited my earlier post ...

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,998 of 2,299
No, I just use 10 Ohm resistors in parallel. The HiFiMan adapter box also has resistors in series, which eats some of the power output from the amp - and "we" don't like that with a 12W amp ...

Just edited my earlier post ...

Did you/can you post a pic of how you do that?

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #2,000 of 2,299
The new F version has a bit changed soundsignature in the headphone out, just read this review, it´s less dark

And Ardilla you told me in the Auralic thread hum was no problem with the Leben, now we get the whole truth :wink: .  

Yeaah, got me there... I did, I never heard about issues with audeze/hifiman except Lars, who might be having supernatural ears

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #2,001 of 2,299
Yeaah, got me there... I did, I never heard about issues with audeze/hifiman except Lars, who might be having supernatural ears

At least there is someone else:

Thanks, I am using the same configuration for now in my 230V CS300XS. Before I had, besides the 10 Ohm resistors in paralell, two 3 Ohm resistors connected in series that eliminated the hum but also reduced the dynamics so I came back to the "dynamic hum" situation :)

I totally understand your feelings as noise has been the main factor that kept me far from tube amps for a few years until I heard the Leben and liked it so much. Still, I did not expect that the Leben would hum with the HE-6s. It was a disappointment for me too that does not prevent me to enjoy the combination a lot but I would love to get rid of that noise as noise is noise and I would like to feel the music as transparent as possible.

In my case I can hear the hum as soon as the Leben is switched on when I am close to the amp. Then, with the HE-6s on, I can hear a very distant hum. The hum is always independent of the pot position.

I tried with cheap dampers in the tubes but the hum did not change at all. I would like to try also the choke option but my DIY abilities are so poor that I am afraid of not using the proper component and kill the amp.

Let's keep trying to find a solution for the sake of all Leben lovers that have hum and do not appreciate it.

Cheers,

Victor.

I think that there is no easy solution.

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #2,002 of 2,299

I am beginning to think that the answer to some extent depends of two factors that aren't about the headphones you use:

1) How silent or noisy is the place you use the headphones? If you live in a big city like you do (Hong Kong), then the background noise will mask the buzzing/humming som much that you might not hear it. If you live in the countryside - like I do - then you will probably be able to hear humming/buzzing that you wouldn't be able to hear in an apartment in a big city.

2) The electricity from the wall outlet. If there's a lot of electrical noise in that, this may cause the amp to hum/buzz (more). This of course can be fixed partly or fully by using power conditioners etc.

In my case, I can't think of any headphone that will both be so insensitive that you don't hear hum/buzz and at the same time so sensitive that it will reach loud "party" levels or peaks. Well, maybe except HiFiMan HE-5 (or the modded version Code-X) which in sensitivity is between the two headphones that I have: HE-6 and LCD-2. The latter one (91dB/mW) gets loud enough, but I get a low noise. The former (83.5dB/mW) has no noise regardless of volume setting, but doesn't get crazy loud (EDIT: via headphone output) - especially not without distortion in the peaks.

When all this is said, I should add that the hum/buzz/noise I hear is very low, but high enough to annoy me when the room is dead silent.

Thanks Lars for your reply.
I live in a less crowded place in Hong Kong. It's fortunate that I can have some quiet moments in my apartment to enjoy music. Thus the "hum" becomes a real issue for me.
If the "hum" is something to do with the electricity, Oh then I can do little to resolve it. 
May take risk and buy D7100 next week. Let's see what happens!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #2,003 of 2,299
I have not read all the pages in this thread, but what about using power conditioners or regenerators with a good ground connection to filter out noise or the unstable power flow. Get off the noisy grid, with your own powerplant 
rolleyes.gif
 ? Not that I have tried one, but a nice power cable setup had a real positive effect in my system with less noise (not talking transformer hum here, more in general) and more clean sound. So a powerplant could be worth considering for giving the humming Leben some fresh homemade juice without lumps of dirt. Maybe borrow one from a dealer to test out. Just brainstorming here
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #2,004 of 2,299
My system is connect to a PS Audio Power Plant Premier and I still get a bit of hum but not from all of my amps.

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,005 of 2,299
Well, in that case it's not about "dirty" electricity from the wall outlet. Then we may be left with the degree of silence in the room.

Also, if the hum is a buzz so to speak - meaning that the noise isn't 50 or 60 Hz respectively, but the double frequency, and then we are talking about noise in the PSU which can be fixed with a choke as earlier stated in this thread.

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #2,006 of 2,299
This entire thread is only about buzzing and humming. :confused_face:

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,007 of 2,299
As I suppose, many of us are sure that this is slight but annoying technological fault of this great amp. It is due to its internal architecture. 
I think It may be next geal for Leben Team with version Lebec cs300ST for example :wink:

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,008 of 2,299
It's the buzz word ATM...

Seriously, I think it's about trying to figure out what is the cause of this noise, and people report different frequencies and conditions with/without the noise.

Also if you go further back in the thread there's more about the wonderful sound/music it makes.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #2,010 of 2,299
This entire thread is only about buzzing and humming.
confused_face.gif

LOL...it does seem that way!

Maybe it time to reconnect with the nicer things about the Leben 'experience'....
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back