The KRK KNS-8400(and 6400) Appreciation Thread!
Dec 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #31 of 48
I'm still hoping that someone might know of a solution before I start ordering cables that might not fit.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #32 of 48
6400 owner here! They were my first step into headphone territory. I've since moved on up a slight step to the Sennheiser HD558s, but still use the 6400s for everyday portable use for school and transportation. Great for listening to for my indie rock music with my Sansa Clip+ Rockbox'd.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #33 of 48
Some news on the replacement cable front. Audio Technica's new ATH-M50x has a 2.5mm twist-lock cable plug. The twist lock is nearly identical to the one KRK uses. The only major difference is the inner sleeve where the locking groves are is much shorter on the KRK cable. The upshot of this is that while KRK's cables won't fit ATH-M50x, the AT cables are an almost perfect fit for KNS-8400.

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #34 of 48
Some news on the replacement cable front. Audio Technica's new ATH-M50x has a 2.5mm twist-lock cable plug. The twist lock is nearly identical to the one KRK uses. The only major difference is the inner sleeve where the locking groves are is much shorter on the KRK cable. The upshot of this is that while KRK's cables won't fit ATH-M50x, the AT cables are an almost perfect fit for KNS-8400.

Thank you. Now I know what to tell people, because the KRK cable is its Achilles heel.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #35 of 48
Gonna bump an old thread: I've read a few reviews saying that these are built for analytical purposes, but are they nice for casual listening as well? I listen to a variety of music genres.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #36 of 48
I don't recommend it for casual listening: too revealing of bad sources and the treble is a little crisp.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #38 of 48
After looking for a good-budget friendly headphone for classic mussic, I ordened a KNS-8400 yesterday, can't wait to try them!
smily_headphones1.gif

My other options were ATH-50, DT-770 and SRH840, hope to have made a right decision.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #39 of 48
After looking for a good-budget friendly headphone for classic mussic, I ordened a KNS-8400 yesterday, can't wait to try them! :)

My other options were ATH-50, DT-770 and SRH840, hope to have made a right decision.

Better than M50 and DT770. (If you have problems, ask about workarounds.)

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #41 of 48
These will be my first quality headphones, so... any recomendations before try them? Avoid Lossy music, take a look for an amp maybe.

I was thinking that if you want to darken the sound, you can always stuff craft foam or paper towel behind the raised part of the earpad. I watched a youtube video about that. Or you could put some stiff adhesive felt behind the earpad in front of the driver. Not saying either will be necessary, but it's not uncommon to want to change the sound slightly with simple mods like those. Besides that, see if you're OK with cable or if it bears noise. You can always pick up something cheap to replace it if it's an issue. Again, don't worry any of these things. Headphones often have minor issues that need the personal touch. Last, an amp isn't strictly needed but you do want a good clean source (a DAP, soundcard, or standalone DAC) and decent files (AAC 256 or better, or CDs).

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #42 of 48
I was thinking that if you want to darken the sound, you can always stuff craft foam or paper towel behind the raised part of the earpad. I watched a youtube video about that. Or you could put some stiff adhesive felt behind the earpad in front of the driver. Not saying either will be necessary, but it's not uncommon to want to change the sound slightly with simple mods like those. Besides that, see if you're OK with cable or if it bears noise. You can always pick up something cheap to replace it if it's an issue. Again, don't worry any of these things. Headphones often have minor issues that need the personal touch. Last, an amp isn't strictly needed but you do want a good clean source (a DAP, soundcard, or standalone DAC) and decent files (AAC 256 or better, or CDs).

Thank again, Claritas!

My payment is already confirmed, so I'm only waiting for receive them.

Also, I'm looking for a Fiio E10K as a complement due my poor sources (iPhone 5/mid-end HP laptop). Based on the specifications, I think is enough for the 8400's, isn't it?

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #44 of 48
Well, my pair arrived today and I don't know what to say... these are my first quality-headphones and I'm ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with them, from the design and overall build quality to the comfort and lightness, but man, I really applaud the outstanding sound quality: crystal clear, tons of detail, nice instrument separation, terrific mids, enough bass detail and extension (for me), brilliant highs, soundstage... everything.

Even the isolation is quite decent for my needs.

It's hard for me to believe they're better closed headphones at any price (of course they're), so it's a good start.

Now I need to buy a DAC (or maybe a DAP with DAC function, such as X3 or DX50) in order to unleash the full potential of these joys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back