The Korean Thread!
Oct 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #91 of 238
Mainstream if you partake in that genre.

Take We Travel the Spaceways or any of the oldies as an example - for the usual jazz fans they wet their teeth on the stuff, but for anyone not into jazz they'll never see the light of day.

But, when you say Korean and Post-rock/Shoegaze these are typically the first bands to roll off the tongue. If you can find it on Youtube - says a lot. That being said it's not an elitist obscurity contest, sometimes the really good guys just don't have the means to reach oversea exposure, these ones are lucky to have gotten a small cult gathering outside, however small.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #93 of 238
Hey I'm no elitist...I loves the poopity-pop.

Great stuff. 

Still groove to the oldies more though - these make ya want to dance a whole lot more..dunno why.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #96 of 238
I don't actually agree with that - it's still pretty processed and brickwalled. Compare it to, say, some of Toy's old albums (I mean that stuff was layered exquisitely, beautiful if you have the CD version - my personal test track for ambience), or a lot of the old pop really.

But why? Well you could say that too much of a good thing makes for a not-so-good result.
When you produce every single smidgeon it sounds awfully processed. They can throw all the producers they want on it, it still might turn out to be an overproduced mess.

Heck some of my cassettes from back then sound a tad better than what they're pulling out, in terms of dynamics. Grainy mess though.

Did you try the H.O.T. track? The CD version is beautifully dark, hits like a boss, a lot more vibrant than say, the distorted bass blobs and flatness from most other SM stuff nowadays. Whoever did BoA's new CD did okay, but still could have done better. Loud and lack of grain should not necessarily be considered better with regards to recordings.

And of course with regards to the truly awfully-mixed old pop - well that grain makes for a pleasurable nostalgic vintage feel, no? I love that feel - it's why a good portion of my active home listening's still on cassette + a old stereo.

Not that this has any impact on whether or not the music is damned good or not (I could care less how it's mixed - really).

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #97 of 238
  I don't actually agree with that - it's still pretty processed and brickwalled. Compare it to, say, some of Toy's old albums (I mean that stuff was layered exquisitely, beautiful if you have the CD version - my personal test track for ambience), or a lot of the old pop really.

But why? Well you could say that too much of a good thing makes for a not-so-good result.
When you produce every single smidgeon it sounds awfully processed. They can throw all the producers they want on it, it still might turn out to be an overproduced mess.

Heck some of my cassettes from back then sound a tad better than what they're pulling out, in terms of dynamics. Grainy mess though.

Did you try the H.O.T. track? The CD version is beautifully dark, hits like a boss, a lot more vibrant than say, the distorted bass blobs and flatness from most other SM stuff nowadays. Whoever did BoA's new CD did okay, but still could have done better. Loud and lack of grain should not necessarily be considered better with regards to recordings.

And of course with regards to the truly awfully-mixed old pop - well that grain makes for a pleasurable nostalgic vintage feel, no? I love that feel - it's why a good portion of my active home listening's still on cassette + a old stereo.

Not that this has any impact on whether or not the music is damned good or not (I could care less how it's mixed - really).

Well, the mixing techniques are improving though. I do have couple songs from Toy's old albums. Too bad I don't keep CDs.

But to be honest, I don't mind how music's mixed as long as they are OK(meaning no distortion and severe sibilance).

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #98 of 238
Although, I am Korean, I listen to mostly non-Korean stuff. One of my favorite indie bands The Killers came to Korea two days ago on Saturday through the Hyundai Card Culture Concert at the Olympic Hall and holy schitt! I can not even put to words how I was during the concert lol. Didn't know there were so many fans in Korea.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #99 of 238
I'm noticing that lots of mangas are getting live-action treatment in Korea.

Are there any k-dramas out there that can match/exceed City Hunter?  That's the only drama I've seen from start to finish, and I'm not sure if any new or old k-drama could topple City Hunter. 

I think this may be the only k-drama I encountered that doesn't look like soap opera (i think it was filmed cinema-style - 24 fps)

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #100 of 238
  I'm noticing that lots of mangas are getting live-action treatment in Korea.

Are there any k-dramas out there that can match/exceed City Hunter?  That's the only drama I've seen from start to finish, and I'm not sure if any new or old k-drama could topple City Hunter. 

I think this may be the only k-drama I encountered that doesn't look like soap opera (i think it was filmed cinema-style - 24 fps)

The dramas really depend on what kind of genre you are digging. There are few that are very good. Most are soap though.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #101 of 238
City Hunter really wasn't what the fangirls sold it out to be. It was really just the first time they took notice to the espionage thing. Blame Lee Min-Ho. That's what I do for everything. New hyped fangirl show? Blame it on Lee Min-Ho. K812s are too expensive? Blame it on Lee Min-Ho. Shower head's broken? Damn Lee Min-Ho clogging up my shower.

If you're judging purely on production values and mainstream popularity, of course Iris beats it out handily. You don't get the teenage trifles or the troptastic drama elements as much, so that might take away from the appeal.

But that was a case where they bothered to put in the money - you have to realize they don't put in as much effort/investment on dramas nowadays as they do for movies. The latter is what really sells, and what really grabs the international market. Their artsy stuff is getting heavily lauded, and deservingly so. Dramas in comparison - well read the tirades on the blogosphere after the Kim Jong-hak ordeal.

Though honestly, I come for the tropes when I bother. Only thing halfway decent last season was I Hear Your Voice. Although Reply 1994 is coming up, torn at that fact that they've continued it into a series - sure it's different, but it makes the last show lose some of that novelty, uniqueness factor if they're just going to hash that formula over and over again. Like what they did with School in the late 90's. But 1997 was so fun to watch - subtle but well-polished, most kickass soundtrack to date. Also there's Go Ara for 1994...yum.

I'm guessing people here aren't of the Sandglass/Love and Ambition era..... probably not even First Love? No? That schiit was dope. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #103 of 238
I loved City Hunter. Iris was good too of course, even great.

Anyway, I should find out of I'll have a job in Seoul within the next month or so. Sent my documents away today via Fedex. Of course this also depends on my registrar's office getting off their ass and expediting my diploma.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #104 of 238

Anyway, I should find out of I'll have a job in Seoul within the next month or so. Sent my documents away today via Fedex. Of course this also depends on my registrar's office getting off their ass and expediting my diploma.

Ohh! Good luck. Seoul is a very fun city. There are many good stores for audiophiles, so check them out!

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #105 of 238

Good luck. Hope everything works out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back