The King of Hybrid Amps .... the Stacker 2
Mar 29, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by WarriorAnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for my ignorance. Where did you buy your Stacker 2?

It's a DIY design, and a new one at that, so there aren't any commercial units available.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a DIY design, and a new one at that, so there aren't any commercial units available.

That's mostly correct, the stacker II is not a commercial product. The DIY part is a big confusing since there's no official schematic for the design, technically it isn't finished yet although I think the builder of these two amps has an inside line on that.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Earl! Why is it your photos of your amps always make me start drooling?

Must be the tubes!
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 44
duggehsmile.png
a little late to the party but I am well pleased that you both ( E & J ) have identified why I once mad the brash statement that I was listening to the best amp I had ever heard. My opinions have not yet changed and it has been a few years. enjoy ..dB

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #22 of 44
I'm loving the construction of it and tube rectified too nice!

You said no tube rolling but we all know that wont be the case for long so let us know how it changes.

Congrats Earl.

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #23 of 44
Wow, a beautiful piece of electronic art.

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #24 of 44
For those interested here is a pictorial progress on the entire amp building process. Two amps were built by dBel84, one for myself and one for JP11801.

I borrowed these pics from Don ....

Boards etched

stackeriipcb.jpg

The power supply

Stacker5U4Gpsu4.jpg

initial testing

PDRM2860.jpg

laying out the top plate

earltopplatelayout.jpg

option2.jpg

wiring up Earl's input stage

Pdrm2986.jpg

top side

Pdrm2931.jpg

Pdrm2927.jpg

The panels arrive and a quick dry fit

Picture010.jpg

Picture018.jpg

The assembly

JP

PDRM3109.jpg

PDRM3107.jpg

Pdrm3155.jpg

EC

PDRM3110.jpg

PDRM3116.jpg

PDRM3119.jpg

Under the hood

Picture022-1.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Final result

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #25 of 44
I have owned some great amps (Dynahi, Moth 2a3 and Eddie Current HD2) as well have listened pretty extensively to many/most high end (expensive amps) and the Stacker is right there sonically with them. It embodies the best attributes of tube and solid state sound and frankly sounds like neither designs stereo typical sound.

So far my headphone listening has been limited to the Audio Technica ad2000, brief listen with a PS-1 and the senn 650s. The amp sounds like it was made for the Audio Technica AD2ks as I have not heard them sound any better (maybe the balancing act). Sense of space, detail and texture were all world class. There was plenty of PRat with dynamics done really well.
It is going to be a treat to get more ears around this amp as it is a game changer. It further goes on to prove (at least to me) that the DIY community can design and implement amps that are as good as and in most cases better than commercial offerings. Both Earl and my build were on the upper end from a cost perspective but I am certain that similar sonic results could be had with a more economical build as well.

Thanks to Cavalli Audio for a stellar design and thanks to Donald for taking this build on. I'm not sure many here realize the work that goes into building a DIY design amp for someone and I owe him a debt of gratitude for taking this on.

After a few weeks I'll do a more in depth review/impressions but I've kind of spoiled it as I already love this amp. Any one coming to CanJam will be able to hear it in my rig at the event.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 44
Is it the #1 fat burner? Nice amp.

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #28 of 44
WOW - how did I miss this thread until now???

CONGRATS EARL! Looks awesome, and nice to hear it sounds so good.

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #30 of 44
Yeah, maybe when the final designs are ready for public release, my funds for a new amp will be ready! New amp, new headphones, new cables last few months, jeesh. Now gotta start saving again after this review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back