The King of Hybrid Amps .... the Stacker 2
Apr 13, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #32 of 44
I spent the day listening to my Stacker ll connected to my vinyl rig using a pair of Sylvania 7n7s. All I can say is it does not get much better than this, clean clear and superbly musical. Details, tone, PRat all in spades I've owned some superb amps in the 5 years I've been here and this amp is right up with the best of them. I can'e wait to compare it to some of the other amps that will be at CanJam.

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #33 of 44
Very glad to hear JP. Gives me a warm feeling inside to hear this after the "honeymoon" period. I know JP really liked the amp at VSAC and it must have been an impression for him to keep on at me to build one for him. My biggest fear had been that time and acoustic recollection ( ie single malt and subsequent stupor ) had amplified the fond impressions and that reality would clarify the haze after spending time with the amp. I have been pretty adamant that it was special since first building it but I am not objective regardless of how much I try. Looking forward to peoples opinions from Canjam, pity I won't be there to join in the fun..dB

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #34 of 44
I finally did some tuberolling tonight. I have a bad habit of saving my best tubes and getting by with just good tubes. But, this time I pulled out some of my very favorite 1940s National Union black glass 12SN7GTs .... the ones with the "spooky real" mids. Wow! I dont think I moved for three hours. Great mids indeed .... along with punchy bass and a laid back but still detailed treble. I was going to try out the Orthos but I just couldn't make myself get up and switch the headphones.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my very favorite 1940s National Union black glass 12SN7GTs .... the ones with the "spooky real" mids.

that needs a pic
popcorn.gif
you REALLY need to plug your YH1's in there
cool.gif
..dB

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very glad to hear JP. Gives me a warm feeling inside to hear this after the "honeymoon" period. I know JP really liked the amp at VSAC and it must have been an impression for him to keep on at me to build one for him. My biggest fear had been that time and acoustic recollection ( ie single malt and subsequent stupor ) had amplified the fond impressions and that reality would clarify the haze after spending time with the amp. I have been pretty adamant that it was special since first building it but I am not objective regardless of how much I try. Looking forward to peoples opinions from Canjam, pity I won't be there to join in the fun..dB

Odd you mention the convergence of single malts and audio memory as that was my fear as well until I plugged it in and gave it a go and spent the next few days
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
listening to my favorite records like it was the first time.
I hope the boards get released or someone makes more of these as they are special amps.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #38 of 44
Now this I already was having a HELL of a time deciding between which Cavalli Audio Tube to build to accompany my b22 when its done. Gosh the decisions are endless
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this I already was having a HELL of a time deciding between which Cavalli Audio Tube to build to accompany my b22 when its done. Gosh the decisions are endless
frown.gif

Haha I think this is a special 2 or 3 off build, still a bloody nice amp though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #40 of 44
Shamless bump of this thread to show off:

TigzStudio packed the little beast very carefully, and it survived shipping fine, except for the left channel being DOA.  Some fiddling and after some cleaning up of the internal wiring and it's going nicely.  Sounds, with the RCA 6FQ7s like a dynamic version of a Stax amp.  I said to dbel84 it that it sounds to me to other amps rather like what orthos sound like to regular dynamics -- sharp and punchy but with sweetness.  It's not as detailed as my Phoenix (engineering overkill with a full-balanced design and digital volume control is simply going to win out in that regard, it can't be helped) but with my Symphones Magnums it's absolutely sweet.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #41 of 44
I just placed an offer for a pair of symphonies to pair up with my Stacker II,  it is a fantastic amp,  with loads of potential for upgrades.  Its the best amp I've ever heard and hope than one day Alex either sells them or makes it open source.   Its too good of an amp not to be talked about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back